Playing after Achilles Tendon rupture

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by London_Player, Dec 4, 2016.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hello Folks,

Has anyone noticed that your performance level is not the same as before, after your mentioned injury?

I had my right ankle tendon injury four years ago and since then my game is not the same as before and the last two years I noticed my left ankle is being affected by tendonitis.

I did not have an operation on my rupture but had what the Doctor's call 'conservative treatment'.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've not had a tendon go but I know a couple of people that have. It is unfortunately unlikely you'll make an absolute full recovery. You'll recover and be functional, but not in tip top shape. Your tendons are pretty important, they aren't designed to break. It's actually impressive that we can repair them as much as we can, due to how tendons pull up as soon as they're severed, pre-modern medicine you would never get even proper function back because the tissue wouldn't be connected to heal - not even scar over properly.

So yes, I'm very sorry that you're experiencing this, but please take it a bit easier.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I did not have a rupture of the achilles tendon, but I tore the ligaments in both of my ankles several times. Last time it was pretty severe. I can play 100% again now (even raised my game), but it's still not completely gone - after 1.5 years - and still hurts from time to time and is not as flexible as before. I might have chronic inflammation now. Will probably see an expert because of this, but frankly, I don't see how anyone can solve this. If anybody knows how to treat chronic inflammation let me know.

4. kurdy_

kurdy_ Regular Member

I had a rupture of my left achilles tendon, in 2007. I stopped playing badminton for 5 years then. Not because of pain or non recovery, but I was afraid of breaking it (or the other) again ! My love for badminton was to strong and I came back to the game : my level was the same as before, and I even improved again (not the same level as in the 90s, but it's only an age problem !!!)
    I think it's hard to make an average statement : deseases, people physiology, treatments are differents. You have to keep confidence.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can consider shockwave

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have a look at this.

7. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    My left foot had to compensate when my right foot had the injury and since my recovery, my left ankle developed Tendonitis, as a result, I am not quick enough to retrieve or go back quickly to reach some shots. Sometimes I feel that my left tendon could snap at anytime, so could end up with both tendon rupture!

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Dec 5;94(23):2136-43. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.K.00917.
    Surgical versus nonsurgical treatment of acute Achilles tendon rupture: a meta-analysis of randomized trials.

Soroceanu A1, Sidhwa F, Aarabi S, Kaufman A, Glazebrook M.

Results: If functional rehabilitation with early range of motion was employed, rerupture rates were equal for surgical and nonsurgical patients (risk difference = 1.7%, p = 0.45). If such early range of motion was not employed, the absolute risk reduction achieved by surgery was 8.8% (p = 0.001 in favor of surgery). Surgery was associated with an absolute risk increase of 15.8% (p = 0.016 in favor of nonoperative management) for complications other than rerupture. Surgical patients returned to work 19.16 days sooner (p = 0.0014). There was no significant difference between the two treatments with regard to calf circumference (p = 0.357), strength (p = 0.806), or functional outcomes (p = 0.2)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Probably your team was working according to this and advised conservative management. However, it doesn't tell you that in elite athletes (i.e. those regularly playing league matches and competitions) would they do better with surgery or without surgery?