Changing from defense to offense in a game, or vice versa

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Neosakai, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Dunno if this topic is posted before but...

During a game, if you're in defense.. For example, you did a lift/high clear and get ready for the return. If you're in that situation, how would you change from defense to offense?

Vice versa.?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You have to play a shot that makes your opponent take the shuttle below net height.

To turn offence into defence, just hit the shuttle up. Lift or clear.

3. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    So from defence to offence, I do a clear then do a netshot?

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Maybe.
    It depends. Almost everything depends.

e.g.
    you clear
    opponent does drop shot
    you play net shot

but hold on.
    how good was that drop shot?

Can you take it near the tape? (if so you should be able to make the opponent take the shuttle from below net height)

Or are you taking it near the floor (if so, playing a hairpin net shot might be suicide if the opponent is quick enough to play a net kill from it)

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I don't think words can give you an answer you're looking for. Given your location, there are a lot of good players in that area i.e. Raymond Wong I think so, it's best to observe and see what they do.

There's no set strategies to force yourself from defense to offence, like Neil said, it greatly depends on the situation and the strengths of your opponents.

The main thing is, when they're on offence and you're on defense, you want to force the offence by making a return shot that would force them to lift the bird.

So, it's very hard to tell you exactly what to do to make them lift the bird.

They could smash and you can see an opening and you can do a return there making them quickly advance there and have to lift the bird. If the smash's angle isn't steep, you can force a hard drive back.

Basically, you want to anticipate and give yourself enough time to think your next shot through before executing.

Generally though, at least for doubles, you want to be on the offense so it's very rare you would want to switch from offense to defense. If you're a good team, then you should be able to capitalize on all given offense opportunities like smashes and drops.