Is this a good way to start main ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by tib67, Nov 30, 2016.

1. tib67

tib67 Regular Member

no job

He pulls his string on 2 segments in one way and then the other way (well for the 2nd time it is more than 2 segments since the clamp is far away).

Is that a good way to avoid tension lost and is there any benefit in pulling it a second time from the other way ?

2. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I watch until the first 5 minutes. It all seems good to me. of course it's a good way. He pulls on 2 segments, meaning only one string will get full tension the other maybe less. He then pulled the other string to get full tension. He pulls each string once. pulling one string once with a constant pull machine and it's one of the most expensive stringing machine on earth... I think most people would like their racket to string that way :)

3. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

But I start main differently. not by much a little bit. I pull both string together. put starting clamp on one main and clamp that main at the head close to the racket. Relase tension. pull tension on the slack main, clamp, go next hole, tension clamp. Now tension the main which has the starting clamp, remove starting clamp, remove clamp and clamp at the throat, go next hole...

That way clamp is always close to the racket. If you notice his first main is clamp far from the racket. because there's not enough space to fit two clamps.

4. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Reposted from another thread ... What works for me, using a machine without fixed clamps, is to use a starting clamp at the top of the second right main while pulling the first right from the top, then clamp those two strings with a flying clamp. Then i pull first left and clamp at the bottom, then i pull the second left and clamp at top, then i go back to second right (where the starting clamp is) and pull it from the top (i release the first clamp as the tensioner pulls to the whole string gets the prestretch) then clamp. At this point i have two clamps adjacent at the top, and one at the bottom, although you could get away with two clamps by moving the bottom one to the top but i have 4 so i make use of them.

This method means that each string gets a full pull with prestretch, and each time i clamp is at the same distance from the frame, some videos i've seen when using fixed clamps the second main is clamped a clamp's width away from the frame as the two clamps can't clamp adjacent strings as there's not enough room.

It actually takes less time to do it than it took me to type that out.

Leonline likes this.
  5. tib67

tib67 Regular Member

no job
    There is no counter indication to pull a string with a starting clamp on it (friction / damage) ?

6. tib67

tib67 Regular Member

no job
    Looks interesting but I don't have flying clamps!

7. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Would work just as well (probably better tbh) with fixed ... clamp the right 2 string with the starting clamp at the top, pull right 1 string from top (and clamp at top), pull left 1 from bottom and clamp, pull left 2 from top and clamp, then go back to right 2 and pull from the top and clamp.

Disclaimer: I've never actually used fixed clamps, so i'm only assuming that ought to work (it did in my head).

tib67 likes this.
  8. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I have a clamp with starting clamp. I'm not pulling alone on a starting clamp.

That's how I do it. I string mostly for tennis, but when I string badminton racket i just start the same way.

#8 fanfaron, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Gollum, tib67 and stradrider like this.
  9. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst

I start like this.

When I Tension the 2nd Main, I release the string as it approaches the prestretch, so it will pull to the same as the one beside it.

I found when Pulling both mains at the same time like I have seen many master class yonex stringers do, the tension on each string is halved.

10. tib67

tib67 Regular Member

no job
    What about base clamping the string who has the starting clamp at the top of the raquet instead of the bottom so we can clamp the other one at bottom near the frame and after doing some strings we can go back and pull the string with starting clamp all together
    Would that be correct ?

11. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I used to start like this. For badminton it is just fine. For tennis pulling 60lbs when the string 90degree with the clamp it might slip. that's why I start like the video I posted. pull two main together. clamp one main ant put starting clamp at outside of the racket on that main. Then i just do exactly what you are doing.

12. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

That's what I do. I pull two strings together. base clamp at the top of the racket and starting clamp it at the throat and release. Tension the other main and base clamp. go next hole, base clamp. Now I pull on the main with starting clamp, now starting clamp has move away a bit from frame, i remove starting clamp, remove base clamp too, wait for the desire tension and base clamp.

That way string never slips, even with no so good base clamp. no need to squeeze the string.

tib67 likes this.
  13. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    That way is the way i try to avoid, as the second time he clamps it's twice as far from the frame as all the other times, because there's not enough room with the first clamp in the way. Granted it's only a small amount of string that is left slack, but it annoys me.

14. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I do a somewhat similar starting method to the @xZhongCheng where the 2nd clamp is further away as noted. Without changing the existing starting method, to address @_Rav_ concern the only way is to tension 2 mains in one direction before going back to the other side to create room to clamp closer to the frame.

15. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

I'm lazy as eff and I don't use starting clamps at all, I pull both starting mains together to start, need to do a little clamping back and forth to get the correct tension, then I just string the remaining main strings in pairs all the way outwards so it's even pressure.

Here's Kwun's video:

DarthHowie likes this.