Will LD or LCW make it to Tokyo 2020?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pcll99, Oct 26, 2016.

?

Will LD or LCW make it to Tokyo 2020?

1. Yes, LD will make it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, LCW will make it

25.9%
  3. Yes, both will make it

14.8%
  4. No, neither will make it

59.3%
  1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    With the new 11-point scoring system, will LD or LCW make it to Tokyo 2020?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Definitely will get them thinking about it more. But if he starts to consistently lose to lower ranked players like Leverdez...

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The real question is: Do they want to make it to Tokyo 2020?

Lin Dan has nothing to prove, and only has five or six decades of life left to spend all his money.
    Lee Chong Wei, if he keeps playing, will slowly decline and become a notch on other players belts ( eg Brice Leverdez last week).

If I were advising them, I'd tell them to retire from the grind of the pro circuit. Enjoy their kids. And start starring in buddy-cop movies, together. Can't you just see it? LCW the honest play-it-by-the-book cop. And LD the whoop-the-bad-guys rebel cop. The scripts write themselves!

BadSID, decoy and visor like this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan barely gets any elevation from his jump(Must be knees.) Nor he can get behind the shuttle quickly like a Top 20 Player. Don't believe me ? Watch this.

5. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    Nope. Team up and win the World Senior Championship MD Gold.

6. Ivan Law

Ivan Law New Member

It's relatively hard to unwind the win/lost situation in the 11-point new regulation, and may be benefit to both LD/LCW as mentioned by LCW. However, the overall excitement of the games may be reduced to certain extent. I discovered that in the golden period of big 4 (LD/LCW, together with Taufik Hidayat & Peter Gade), they 'intended' to be relaxed in the first few scores or even up to 10 scores to lower ranked players, and then chased back and unwind the match. It may be their mental strategies and it was amazing to watch these kinds of strategic games. You can imagine this would be gone if 11-point scoring system enrolls in the future.

7. rocky4

rocky4 Regular Member

Student
    when was the the new 11 point scoring system announced? can someone reference to official source, i cant seem to find an actual source :s thanks.

8. Ivan Law

Ivan Law New Member

9. Vinman

Vinman Regular Member

Nutritionist
    I do not think either will make it to Tokyo 2020, or if either do, I do not think they will be competitive enough to challenge the top players at that time in my opinion. Father time will eventually catch up to them more than it already has unfortunately.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Thing is that many sports stars continue in their sport long past their best years. Lots of factors involved. For someone that has basically had their life revolve around one thing for so long.... it's hard to just stop. That sport is what defined them for so long. Same thing has happened in any sport. Too many people think that they only care about winning, and if that's really the case then yes, they should just quit now. But what if it's the love of the sport? What if they just love to compete, even if they lose? To me there is no loss in prestige if they play past their prime and lose some matches to younger players.

There's a thread talking about how to increase viewership around the world for Badminton. Know what would be great? For Yonex to sponsor a world tour with all the retired great players to show the world, at every level, how fun and competitive badminton can be.... that it's not just a backyard game. That would be great to see. Show up at regional, state, even national championships in countries that don't have a strong badminton tradition and do a demonstration game, sign autographs and take pics w/ fans that can't travel to one of the big SS tournaments. Be ambassadors for the sport.

11. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

If goes by the new scoring system of (5x11) be used in Tokyo 2020, for sure LCW can make it.
    Who knows Taufik or Gade might still come back and go for it. Lol:rolleyes:

12. Ivan Law

Ivan Law New Member

Big 4 reunion!