Gosen G-Tone 5

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mikomi, Mar 12, 2016.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, interesting. May have to design an experiment to test the effects of humidity and temperature...

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I don't even want to get into the science of it tbh but I think we can agree in general that cooler climates tend to produce tighter string beds which in turn lead to easier breaks. I definitely don't want to go into the debate of how humidity alone affects string durability. You cannucks can testify to that alone lol.

DarthHowie likes this.
  3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well I'm on the fence with this one. The performance fresh is fantastic. The sound even off a half smash is really nice. A very refreshing snap. Better than LN No. 1 IMO.

But the one thing that I really got against it right now is that the strings don't seem to bed in well either. But this may well be my own fault since it's only been 3 days I've left it settle down. But it does seem like it has bedded in decently already when I have to adjust my strings after every other point. Which brings me to the one thing I haven't beent happy about with it. When I full power smashing the strings wave outwards. I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks to see if that problem solves itself or not. But it's a big negative for me cos I'm the type that has an OCD about having a straight string bed.

I'm especially unsatisfied when a string can simply wave outwards on a smash that is at 90% power and upwards or even on a punch clear. I'm too spoilt by BG80 and 85 >_< the way it beds in after 3 days is like an unmovable rock short of a mishit or very quick sliced shot.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Ummm, there are pills for OCD you know...

Play with it a few more hours and it will bed in properly.

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Roger that. Needed more input about that lil problem. It just..irritates me. I'm not a perfectionist but. I really like my string beds to not move. It screws with my consistency.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... I think it's mostly in your mind. Just don't look at it after every single rally!

7. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    The problem is I can actually feel the strings moving out of position. And when they're like that I feel behave differently with the exact same shots. I know it sounds stupid but it's what I notice.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... I kinda know what you mean. Even a 0.2g head wt difference or an older string job will throw off my touch shots. When you're dealing with a few millimeters accuracy, the consistency of your tool has a big effect on performance.

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah. For me it comes into transmission of power so to speak. With a relatively straight string bed I can feel that thw amount of effort I'm putting into my shots is going through all the way. But when the strings are waved out there's that feeling that I'm putting in 100% but I'm losing at least 10% along the way due to the imperfection. Vectran has seriously spoilt me.

visor likes this.
  10. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    After 3.5 hours of hitting (5 games of singles, 4 games of hard doubles and drills) I tested the Green Gosen G-Tone 5 at 25 x 27.5 lbs on my Victor Meteor X JJS. The sound it makes off my smash....wow.
    I normally use Gosen R4X 110 as my singles string, but i'm convinced that the G-Tone 5 is better. Control, touch and feel are at least the same to me as the Gosen R4X110. Repulsion is a lot better on the 5. I'll follow up later in terms of durability as i'm very aware how easily the string frays and the outer jacketing becomes loose for the R4X 110. I still use the Zymax 66 Fires (softer string) at the same tension, but i feel there's way more power and repulsion coming from the G-Tone 5s compared to the Ashaways as well.

Forgot to mention that the ping is now 1228 Hz.

#110 DarthHowie, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    visor likes this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

^ The yellow has been an incredible string to use. Feel, touch, control, crispness, sound, durability (for a 0.65mm) are all outstanding. And repulsion feels like I'm playing with shuttles that are one speed too fast.

And at 26x28 lbs, even after some 16 hrs play it has only dropped from 1300 to 1225 Hz. Now where to locate a reel of this? Will be trying out orange next wk, but won't know durability for a few wks more.

#111 visor, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  12. hieucdub

hieucdub Regular Member

Anyone knows if there is any differences between the orange and white colour? I love the feel of the orange but can't stand the colour..

13. visor

visor Regular Member

I just played with my orange at 26x28 lbs, was 1300 Hz no play 1 day after stringer did it.

Amazing tactile feel and such a lively grippy stringbed. Better than white, blue or yellow. If it doesn't nick as easily as blue or fray as easily as white, will definitely be getting a reel of this!

#113 visor, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  14. Swedebadminton

Swedebadminton Regular Member

I just bought 400 m green gtone-5. I was amazed at how cheap they were compared to yonex.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

One interesting fact about Gosen (and Ashaway) companies is that they both started out as fishing line manufacturers in the late 40's.

Eventually branching out to surgical threads, textiles, and industrial ropes, fabrics like airbags/seat belts, etc. Only in the mid 50's did they start R&D and production of racket strings.

Compared to other badminton manufacturers like Yonex, Victor, LiNing, etc, Gosen and Ashaway seem to have something special in their racket strings. And it shows, especially with GT5 and ZM62F. And with their strings being not only better but cheaper than the mainstream ones, it is not too hard to fall in love with them.

#115 visor, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  16. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I strung my racket at 30 pounds with gtone5 white colour and unable to use it. I feel the string really tight and no repulsion at all. So i lowered it to 26x28 and i like it. If you have strong arm and wrist just go 30lbs. Mine not strong enough.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

17. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I too am currently using a batch of R4X110... 10 packs left. Currently stringing a racket or 2 every 10 days due to the severe fraying. (at 31.5lbs x 32.5lbs)

Note for all in the UK - Stringers' World now have a broad range of Gosen badminton string in reels, packets and colours; decent prices too! This includes the G-Tone 5...

https://www.stringersworld.com/badminton/string/?features_hash=98-32

Will make a welcome change from importing it and waiting weeks!

visor likes this.
  18. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I have these on the JS12 now. Should be a blast to see how much more sound I can squeeze out of it

visor likes this.
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow! Tks for the heads up!

Excellent pricing, especially when converting to CAD or USD due to Brexit effect, with a 22% discount even with post as compared to MBS!

Just ordered reel of yellow GT5!

20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Have you tried the lime green?