Higher tension on the cross strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by The 'Fe' Man, Sep 19, 2016.

1. The 'Fe' Man

The 'Fe' Man Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, I know Kwun has made a thread on this, but I don't really understand his explanation. Can someone explain it better to me? And I'm currently using BraveSword 11 and the N50III as backup. Both racquets are strung at 25x25. So should I change it to 25x27? Or 25x25 will be fine?

2. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    you can think about it in terms of friction. When you string the mains, the main thing that reduces tension are the grommets.

Now consider the crosses. Once the main strings are finished, you have to weave the string across the mains. So there is extra friction introduced here in addition to the friction caused by side grommets. This will further reduce tension and will make the racket more square on most machines.

To compensate for this, you add tension on the crosses, a few lbs at most to counteract the extra loss in tension from the mains to keep the racket in its original shape.

of course, some high tech machines do not have this issue.

Best would be to string it at 25x25 first and check the shape of the racket head afterwards. If it looks more square, add a lb on the cross and check it again. Stop when the shape looks right.

3. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a stringer but I think most pros will have +2 lbs on the crosses to make the head a bit more isometric. I'm sure some other people will know more though.

4. The 'Fe' Man

The 'Fe' Man Regular Member

Student
    Ah I see. And does stringing the cross string at a higher tension affect play?

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Nah. it depends how the stringers assemble the requests, but the tendency of pros is more leaning towards square tensions or 1lbs difference instead of 2.

In the end it depends on the machine. @OP if you are the stringer, you should do square, 1lbs and 2lbs difference and look how they come out. If you go to a trusty stringer, let him do his work. He will know his machine best. Every question is answered in kwun's thread. If you don't understand something ask with a quote in his specific thread.

6. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Ah okay. Any reason why they like square tensions?

7. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    At big events, high end electronic machines are used so these likely do not need the extra lbs on the cross to keep the correct head shape. It has been said before that this is also machine dependent but pro's usually don't think too much about the exact tension. They have rackets strung at different tensions and will simply switch if they don't like the feel of one.

Also, its personal preference. If you got 3 of the same rackets strung using the same string by the same stringer using the same machine, one at 25x25, the other at 25x26 and the last one 25x27, and you play with them. You could prefer the feel of either one of them, say you liked the playability of the square tension most.

kwun likes this.
  8. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Okay. So basically the pros are all about feel. Thanks for the info goku.

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    The Pros don't really care too much in equipment details, look at it this way, the time we spend researching rackets, grips, strings, shoes, tensions, etc., the Pros spend practicing and playing and improving their skill and technique. Do you prefer to own the best car or be the best driver you can?

10. druss

druss Regular Member

That's because we have to pay for our own equipment and stringing costs.... so yes we spend time researching to get the most we can for our money. It's a completely different world when you're sponsored and get all your equipment free.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Another answer: when you pull the crosses, the mains "zig-zag" and their tension increases; the extra tension on the crosses is to balance this out.

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't agree here. Look at the Victor coded rackets with KRP, MYP HKP TWP etc. Just slightly different form the commercial in a different manner, but still produced to fit player requirements. Some sponsored pros use grips from a different brand, shoes get stickers to hide the logo of the competitor, some use different rackets if they play recreational and so on. Some pros have strange stringing requests like HKV with a high percentage in terms of prestetch. A lot players give their rackets with sets to the stringers. Even the request of pros in terms of tension can differ for the same gender and discipline around 6-8lbs. Alot pros have signatures and use a repaint of an older racket or a different racket. If this don't make a difference, they wouldn't act like that.

13. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Just like leisure players, pros come in different flavors.

Some pick up the racket they are handed and start playing, while others are very much into the "tech" part of rackets and strings.

At least, that's my experience from the pros I know.

Gollum likes this.