Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Am I missing something? They lost to Russia in pool play. Then got eliminated in QF vs Goh & Tan of Malaysia

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Duh... my bad. Trying to follow too many matches and players. Still have yet to find and watch the QF match. Kudos to the MAS!

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    They were eliminated at the QF stage by Tan/Goh of MY lol not the Russians.

visor likes this.
  4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think its pretty much game over for LYD and YYS now. LYD won't have another 4 years in him, he was wavering about his future previously and I doubt he has the commitment to maintain this level of training and passion for another 4 years. And even if he does, what's to say he is physically able to stay in shape? YYS is a talented player but he is too naturally regimented, so when he tries to take chances/risks he is not able to improvise well enough - especially in competition.

Yes his defence is not bad, but it isn't great. He manages to get a lot of smashes back, but just getting it back is not good enough, he needs to either do something with it to stop the onslaught of smashes or he has to prevent his opponents developing any sort of advantage during attack. Against his fellow team mates and a lot of other players he gets away with this because the Koreans tend to mix up the pace of the attack more, particularly the front court player. Smash, smash, smash, drop... which gives him a little room to breathe as their opponents reset the attack. But when playing against players who only play fast attacks, he simply cannot sustain good quality defensive shots. He would get the first 2 or 3 smashes back, but they tend to be progressively weaker, and straight. It's not just about how steep the Russian smashes are, but also how they maintain the fierce unrelenting attack so well. Bo/Mo have steep smashes too but they cannot sustain it for long.

But as with all partnerships, it is never just one sided. LYD is not perfect either, he has always relied on his partner to generate the attack which places a lot of strain and demand on YYS. This is similar to Ahs/Set but Setiawan makes far better use of his rear court smashes than LYD despite not having the most powerful smash.

Looking back and comparing YYS with JJS, I would still say JJS was the better match for LYD. JJS's defense was very strong and consistent, he would be happy to be smashed at all day long and would almost invite opponents to smash at him, which is the level of confidence he had. JJS was clearly weaker at the net than YYS but he was fast and consistent enough.

I can't see LYD partnering anyone else now. So if they are to continue playing, they really need to make some big changes to their game as their opponents would have taken note of their weaknesses now.

If they can't stretch to the next Olympics, it would be good to at least see LYD/YYS win the AE and WC before they retire but they clearly have a lot of homework to do. New coach too perhaps? I would love to see PJB come back to coach the Korean team but he seems too committed to Japan now so I guess this will just remain a dream.

With badminton such a popular sport in Korea, I do wonder if there are any young Korean talent that's about to step up and take LYD's crown?

nizze likes this.
  5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LYD should groom a young gun

blabl likes this.
  6. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

They could recruit Praveen Jordan to play with LYD...

Daydreaming aside, I don't think the game is over for LYD/YYS partnership. Primarily because there is no viable alternative (unless JJS returns to international play, which isn't going to happen, and even then...). Plus, they have had and will continue to have success on the superseries tour.

At this point, the main option for improvement is a different coaching approach. I would love to see either Park Joo Bong, or Kim Dong Moon become involved, ideally as head of MD program. It would be doubtful that PJB would enter the national program under someone else's supervision, after having been at the helm of Japanese program with so much improvement and success. It wouldn't be unreasonable, even, if he is willing only if appointed as head of the whole national program.

From the few interviews that I have seen, LYD's motivation still seems high, and just as it was feared that London would be the last Olympics for Lin Dan and LCW, I think it would be premature to think he wouldn't be up for one more go in Tokyo.

And this brings me to the final point of this post: If you were part of the Japanese Federation (Nippon Badminton Association) and the next games were in your country, would you not do everything possible to retain the head coach that has brought such success? Hence my suspicion that PJB will sign on for another 4 years with Japan (or whenever his contract is up for renewal until Tokyo 2020).

nizze likes this.
  7. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

visor likes this.
  8. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Surprised that ksr is moving out of tge national team

9. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

The article reveals that KSR has a serious neck/disc injury that may require surgery. I imagine his place will be available after his recovery.

10. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Oh dear, that's bad news. he is young. Still have a long way ahead, should treat his injury first.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    If LYD retire without MD OG and WC gold at his current young age he is a coward who quit too easy. He should do like LCW, never give up.

12. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    different people have different priorities. u should not just assume he is a coward just because he chooses to retire from the international scene

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i see you know what's best for lyd... :confused:

regardless of olympic and world championship results, lyd is considered one of the all time greats by his peers and past players. whose opinions matter more to lyd, theirs or yours?

if you were stranded on a deserted island, with only one book to keep you company, wouldn't that be better for... everyone?

#573 samkool, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  14. jma97

jma97 Regular Member

he's been playing international badminton since he was a teenager and he hasn't been able to see his family because of that so he's retiring to spend time with them. i don't really see how that's cowardly, he's just prioritising his family instead of badminton?

15. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree. different people have different priorities and life goals. There is definitely more to life than badminton

16. leejunlong999

student
    circumstances in msia n korea are totally different. Malaysian players are allowed home where as kor players are required to stay at the training grounds. one major factor to take note

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

17. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    no wonder so many korean players retired after getting married, its difficult to stay away from family especially when you have young children

18. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    R20190,
    I agree with most of your observation, however, if we are in their shoes in their national team and doctrine, we'll likely be same or worst. Physically and mentally you can't be near peak for every tournament year in year out and with additional tournament like OG, Thomas Cup, etc on the same expectation of results? Something somewhere and somehow have to give. Which one to let go is not in their doctrine. This is not to imply that the Koreans are the only ones having this regimental attitude.

But to win when expected is the most difficult. You are playing with others expectation. Mentally, you're troubled. Way before you travel long distance for the dream match outcome expected by others, you get top brass visiting your training camp day in day out. On the news and papers it's all smile featuring the visit............mostly cosmetic. Than you have your principal sponsors expectation too aside from your own KPI...............sorry for the punch below the belt but that's sport in the 21st century!

No longer is the essence in sports when you see great talents are allowed to pace themselves to achieve that goal to stand on the winner podium without external expectation and cooker pressure. Not all sports and countries do it like that BUT most are................It's sad but these are the real.

On the matter of Park Joo Bong returning, I commented on this matter in another tread...........unlikely, until there is a dramatic shift in doctrine.

19. leejunlong999

student
    precisely. even LYD wants and need to start a family. Years back he was interviewed and he said "no one would like to date a guy who is always not around"

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

20. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...