String breaking way too fast

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Swedebadminton, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Swedebadminton

Swedebadminton Regular Member

Hi
    I recently started using bg 80 instead of bg 65, and i really like bg 80s superior power and 'control', but it breaks really fast. I restrung my racket yesterday, and it broke today! Before that it lasted 2 weeks, which is still way too short for my budget.
    Im an intermediate player with an average smash, and i dont miss too often either, so i dont see any justification for the short lifespan of my string. Could there be any problem with the way my racket is strung? Or something wrong with the particular batch of string they are giving me(been stored for too long, etc)? It cost 300 kr (35 us dollars) for me to restring, and as a teenager restringing once a month is really expensive. Im considering buying my own string and stringing machine, anyone got advice on were to buy cheap yonex strings?

2. Swedebadminton

Or perhaps a different string with better durability?
    Im really grateful for all answers, i would love to learn more about racket strings, i just recently started testing different kinds.

3. Veldaga

Veldaga Regular Member

Tax Consultant
    Perhaps you can try bg 65 ti.
    How much tension did you have on the racket?
    Some of my teammates use bg 65 ti @ 30 lbs, and they say that bg 65 ti is a tank.

4. Swedebadminton

I used 26 lbs both times, and yonex voltric z force 2. Bg 65 ti sounds interesting, but my club only offers bg80 and bg 65. I will have to buy my own, i can get it for 6 dollars/10 m, but that is quite expensive isn't it? That is the cheapest Swedish retailer I could find. Is there any good international shipper? Sorry for all the questions,im pretty new to all this equipment stuff.

5. Veldaga

Veldaga Regular Member

Tax Consultant
    Well, if it is what it is, then you should try the bg 65.
    If you still break them easily within days, then I suggest you go to another stringer.

6. Swedebadminton

I used bg65 before, and it lasted long. But I think that my club may have changed stringer, so i will do as you say and if it breaks maybe start stringing my own, but i will have to save up for a machine tho. Thanks for the advice!

7. druss

druss Regular Member

80 should not break in a day at 26 lbs.... did it break at a grommet? If it did then I'd suggest having that grommet replaced, it may have split causing your string to break

8. Swedebadminton

ok, thanks. It did break at the same spot last time.

9. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Agreed, BG 80 should not break in 1 day, not unless you're Lin Dan with it strung at 30lbs. I agree with checking the grommets, make sure one isn't damaged or sharp at an edge.

Otherwise, next time you get your racket strung, check the string to make sure the stringer isn't damaging it on the machine.

Also who in their right mind is charging $35 for a restring? That's so expensive.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

They charge $20 usd labor at the biggest canadian sports store, add $15 for the string.... ya i can see that. I'd charge about $20 usd for labor and string myself.

11. Swedebadminton

Yeah i know its very expensive here in sweden. Im thinking about buying a stringing machine of my own. I think i would have saved money on it after a year.

12. mybeareagle

mybeareagle Regular Member

Try Li-Ning No.1 or No.3. It lasts long. It holds tension longer too.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think the problem is not the string type. It's more the stringer or a grommet issue. Some stringers don't clean and adjust their clamps well and a slipping string on the first pull could be the culprit. I use BG80 @ 31 and change it after 2 weeks. Can get out 4 weeks of it which equals 32 hours on court. As a stringer, I can say that at 26 it should last 1-2 month on regular base. It's 100% a defective string.

14. Swedebadminton

I am actually purchasing a stringing machine right now, the pros pro shuttle express. It was alot cheaper than i thought. If it still breaks when im stringing it on my own i will have to replace the grommets i guess. I inspected them but i couldnt find any that was compltely broken or anything,but some were a little deformed,but i didnt think that was an issue?

15. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Does it look broken on any edges? Either way if someone had the balls to charge me $35 for a restring and it snapped the next day I'd be asking for it redone the next day. Had a stringer that frayed my strings once and blame it on the string and tension (No.1 at 28lbs), and wonder why I called them a bad stringer.

16. druss

druss Regular Member

I had strung a friends racket with string that he supplied, some adidas string. It was thin and slippery. My clamps had been set up for NBG98 so didn't think they needed a change. Well on the first pull at 26 lbs on the mains the string slipped out and frayed a bit. Honestly, one of the hardest to string with string I've ever done. I told him what happened and if it broke I'd redo the string job for free. Mind you I don't string as a business, just for friends and club mates.

17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @druss than you are not using a good starting routine. I recommend a flying clamp behind the fixed or the routine which @DarthHowie show in his stringing videos which also avoid slippage.

18. druss

druss Regular Member

Not something I ever needed to do before. My fixed clamp has always been good enough to start with right up to 30 lbs. This was only 26 lbs, it was definitely the string as even the wise gripper was having trouble with it.

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Good luck with your machine from a brand which makes the impossible: They can produce monday models from tuesday to friday as well.

20. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I did this initially, just with a starting clamp instead. But it doesn't help a 100%, because even though it stops the string from just sliding through the fixed clamp, it only stops it at the end of the clamp. The string will still stretch from the end of the starting clamp (or flying clamp) and through the fixed one. So at the first tooth of your fixed clamp, the string will slide maybe 2-4 mm through it, before stretched and stopped by your 2nd clamp.

After seeing DarthHowie's video and your comments about string being damaged already at 25 lbs, I've started to do the double pull using the starting clamp on the top of the frame. First pull I do 10-11 kg (enough to strech the string), put on the fixed clamp, then adjust the machine to whatever it should be, and then continue.