The philosophy of improving your game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Above quotes were from this article

https://hbr.org/2015/10/how-1-performance-improvements-led-to-olympic-gold

A culture of examining where marginal improvements can be made led to the British track success in the Olympics.

Another great quote I know of is "you are only as strong as your weakest link". So, if, in your game your weakest shot is a consistent serve under pressure, it doesn't matter about all your other strengths. Your other strengths cannot fully compensate. Also, your weakest link is the one that can make most improvement.

2. Shuttlingus

Shuttlingus Regular Member

The enemy of continuous improvement and marginal gains is one's ego, and related to that is your self belief/self esteem.

The trick to continuous improvement (IMO) is to practice discipline and learn to delay gratification. Giving in to the desire for instant gratification kills all meaningful progress, which only comes if you allow yourself to be challenged and pushed to your limit.

It's easier said than done of course, as one of the main factors that influences your ability to challenge yourself is your immediate environment. If you operate in an environment that is conducive to your learning and does not punish failure then you will improve very quickly. Unfortunately few of us are lucky enough to have this, and fewer still know how to create/engineer such an environment from nothing.

If you do not have a coach that believes in you, then you need to have tenacity, thick skin, and be positive and compassionate to win people over to your cause. If you're lucky enough to be born with the right mix of traits and attributes then you will likely enter a positive, conducive environment from a young age. If however, you are like the rest of us.... then keep plugging away and turn your weaknesses into strengths just like we turn defense into attack on badminton court at every practice session. :)

Fidget likes this.
  3. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I've been trying to develop our club for years now & the interest in getting coaching is always initially high but having the discipline to do the repetitive training is low. People keep thinking they can just turn up for a few sessions, get shown the tactics & then go away & play the game at a new level.
    Consistency, fitness, correct footwork, technique and positioning don't seem to factor in the execution of a shot.

Personally I've been coasting for a few years now (due to becoming a parent & having less time for badminton), took one of the members pointing out that he finds me easy to play against now to galvanise me to improve my game.
    So far I've been doing simple drills that stress my fitness & consistency but he's noticed the difference. I plan to stick with that and try & show that improvement isn't about complicated tactical drills and scenario's but just getting the basics sharp.

Cheung likes this.
  4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    can't read too much onto that.

I just read...doping isn't something done at once, but gradual over the years, from small, even from the baby age.

this is cycling, and endurance sports are so dirty.