Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ashers888

ashers888 Regular Member

So LCW gets a easier route to the final having played less opponents than LD and CL? Slightly unfair but I guess that comes with being No 1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Its not unfair in the sense that he performed on a higher level previous to the Olympics and thus qualified as No1. Also, one easy group match more or less shouldnt make much of a difference to these guys....have you seen how easy they were? Playing one match more is probably more of an advantage in the sense that they get to know the conditions better early on. The influence should be minimal, though.

3. ashers888

ashers888 Regular Member

You make a good point. I applaud you. Is it also coincidence that LD played at the Brasil Open last year which also happens to be the Olympic venue?? So really LD should be the most used to the conditions..

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    LD has definitely upped his game for Rio, he is playing faster, attacking more and seems to be defending well on his forehand as well. Great to see him back in form. It's very hard to call who will reach the final, but I would love to see a repeat of London12 with the two old rival battling it out one last time.

5. ashers888

ashers888 Regular Member

LCW and LD could potentially meet in the semifinal.. Sorry to crush your hopes of a dream final.

6. flite

flite Regular Member

Congratulations LD for adding yet another Olympic medal to his collections. This time around LCW got lucky again... or maybe not :p
    Anyway it was a good match

7. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Erm... "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched." Not won yet.

ashers888 likes this.
  8. flite

flite Regular Member

Don't read into it too much pal. I didn't mention about anyone winning the gold. A great match by LD indeed ;)

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I think he meant that LD might not even win bronze if Axelsen beats him...

10. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Okay. I totally don't get your joke or the meaning of your post, but maybe it's only me *lol*

charleslim, j4ckie and flite like this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Speechless........I was in tears after what happened at 20-19....Felt like time has stopped,it was an unreal feeling.

Untitled2.png

Yep, this was me but Hey I was not commentating.

CqOZHeXUAAAN9da.jpg CqOZHeXUAAAN9da.jpg
    Every Rivalry has a start and an end

CqOWe-FUAAAmvSj.jpg

But feels like Lin - Lee will be immortal forever.

CqOXsUSVYAM2YBl.jpg

Goodbye Badminton Central.
    For once and all.

Attached Files:

12. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    You're not leaving are you?...

13. soami

soami Regular Member

Thats what you get for acting oversmart throughout the year. You put yourself under pressure when it starts mattering to you.
    Lin Dan didnt smash much and failed to get points from his big smash often because he played under such pressure. that was the difference. But he is still very very good.
    All talk about age and him getting slow is nonsense.

14. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

Badminton isn't all about smashing. Lin Dan did have a big smash back in his prime, but now he plays more conservative and waits for the right opportunity to kill it. Peter Gade didn't have a big smash, yet he was still about to win tournaments. Age does have a factor in this but I wouldn't blame that.

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Well, it's downhill for Lin Dan from here. He has lost a step and his stamina has gone down. Because of his loss in fitness and stamina, Lin Dan can only play a defensive game against most opponents (ie. Srikanth) and then save his stamina for a big match against the top player like LCW or Chen Long.

Throughout 2015 and 2016, LD simply isn't dominating anymore. When he got knocked out of the WC in 2015, it was a sign he was going downhill. Then LD mustered enough energy to win AE to show LYB that maybe he can do it again at the Olympics. But aside from his AE win and the Japan SS which Axelsen lost more than LD winning it, 2015 and 2016 has been the most disappointing years for LD since his rise to the top in 2005.

Age takes it toll on everybody. LD is not different. He can stick around for maybe a try at next WC next year but this would also be a good time for him to retire. Even if he doesn't win the bronze tomorrow, he has done it all and he is the GOAT for Men's singles in badminton.

16. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

So what are his odds against VA tomorrow morning? I feel he can probably beat VA.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LD will be generous tomorrow:D:p

Tekkai likes this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    when you are younger & at your physical peak, it is possible to dominate the game. lin dan did that.

when you get older you become a 'master' of the game. you still have skills, but lose a little bit of speed and power. against you other players will beat themselves. they lose to your reputation, if you know what i mean. i think lin dan has been 'mastering' the top players since 2013. it makes sense since you can't physically dominate for very long.
    it's funny how fans think they know when it's time for someone to retire.

are you one of those people who think lin dan should retire because he can't consistently win all the 'big' tournaments anymore? i'm looking at the top 20 ms rankings. there's quite a few who still can't beat lin dan right now. hell, most of the top 10 would still have trouble beating him regularly.

'if you can't maintain #1, you should retire!' --joe public badminton fan

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I don't know where else to post this.

@latecomer:
    Few months ago, actually last year iirc, you said that LD will win the Olympics and I disagreed. I think it was in the thread "Lin Dan - going downhill?", which mysteriously disappeared. So we did bet on a tube of shuttles. Don't worry, I don't want the tube of shuttles. I just wanted to let you know that I was right. :p

If I've mistaken you, sorry for the inconvenience, simply ignore this then. But if I've remembered your username correctly, reply please. :D

@badlove:
    What about your bet? Did you lose your racket?

racketman123 likes this.
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, I'm thinking he should retire at the top of his game. And after all he's turning 34, not a young pup anymore. Plus now that he's rich and famous, he can live luxuriously and earn an easy living simply by just showing up for a commercial shoot, for which he'll get much more than a year's worth of SSP winnings without having to train daily and battle it out weeks on end on the court with other players.

He doesn't have to prove his greatness anymore. There will be no one like him and LCW for the next 50 yrs.