2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-7 (17th August) - XD Gold Medal match & MS Quarterfinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 16, 2016.

1. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Economy getting better is one factor. It's not a rare sight to see the middle upper classes of SE Asia countries (Thai, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc) to shop in Sing's Orchard Road, gamble away in Marina Bay Sands. My former boss (palm oil company in Jakarta) own several high rise condos and luxury apts in Sing's CBD.

The other one might be the new guys in the body of PBSI. The chairman himself is wealthy. Don't mix up rich and wealthy. Taufik Hidayat is rich, but the guys that paid him like Sutiyoso,or his in law Agum Gumelar and our PBSI chairman are wealthy.:D

Nevertheless it's good to see our athletes are enjoying good appreciation from the government. They deserve this after the hard work and training they poured in.:)

Loh likes this.
  2. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

Natsir is just amazing, she can win big with two different partners. She has to be the most successful indonesian player, 1 gold 1 silver and all other major titles.

3. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

and she is the first Indonesian player to achieve 2 Olympic medals in INA badminton history...

4. Alfysa

Alfysa Regular Member

No, Susi Susanti won 1 gold in 1992 and 1 bronze in 1996... ;)

5. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

I am Malaysianlah. Just to be naughty a bit too.

6. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

The spoken dialect of Jakarta and spoken dialect of Malaysia differs quite considerably. But I have no problems understanding Indonesian when its the standard form. We generally speak the Johore Dialect which is the twin of the Riau Dialect. But we suppose to speak of Badminton.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

London 2012 is certainly nightmare episode for INA badminton, now Rio 2016 brings back Olympic Gold Medal tradition. Hopefully it will be better in Tokyo 2020 :)

8. Mate

Mate Regular Member

No, Susi Susanti also won two Olympics medals, Gold in 1992 and Bronze in 1996.
    Mia Audina also has two Olympic Medals but she represented two different countries. She won silver for Indonesia in 1996 and won silver again for Netherland in 2004.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    And she is still available? :p

Perhaps it is time for her to dress more like a lady! :D
    Sorry to see her teammate Polli exiting so early! :(

#909 Loh, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Is Tan Wee Khiong peranakan? If he is, his Malay should be good.

11. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

i thought the reason he had to lift so much was because Lilyana was just unbeatable at the net.. .but its the case of lari mulut buaya masuk mulut harimau.... (run from crocodiles jaw into the tiger's ) ....Tontowi was waiting in the back to finish it off

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be frank, both Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying didn't play as well as I thought they could as when they play the Chinese. CPS wasn't sharp at the back while GLY wasn't acute at the front as I've seen them before. What to do, if you couldn't lift your game at such a crucial match, that's it. The better pair of the day won.

During the match I was even thinking if MAS equalized in G2 forcing the decider, the tension would be so great for both first-time Olympic finalists, the match outcome would be decided by the pair that made the fewest mistakes as jangled nerves play havoc with all four of them.

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Congratulations to Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir for delivering INA's first and only Gold Medal in this year's Rio Olympics! I have been too busy this week and was very tired last night. That's why I decided not to watch the Final.. Thankfully, INA's top XD pair delivered in style too and it's a fitting present to celebrate INA's 71st year of independence too! I haven't watched the match yet, but will do probably once I have some free time over the weekend.

Liliyana Natsir can retire in a high note and INA is so blessed to have such a talented mixed and women's doubles player over the past 10-12 years. Her accomplishments also make her one of the great players in XD, having won the Olympics Gold (and Silver) medal, 3 World Championships titles, 3 All-England titles, and numerous SS/SSP/GPG titles.

The only blemish in her career is perhaps missing out on the Gold medal in the Asian Games and having not won the Indonesia SSP titles (despite the many chances, only won 1 INA Open once with Nova Widianto before the tournament was changed into SS-level).

What a player and it will be a headache now for Richard Mainaky to find a worthy successor. Tontowi Ahmad is still only 29 years old and could probably last until the next Asian Games (which will be held in Jakarta). Praveen Jordan is 23 years old and he will need a good partner too since Debby Susanto has also decided to retire after the 2016 Olympics.

14. ngasu

ngasu Regular Member

yup

i don't remember calling you with those words

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

ok, thanks for confirming.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    great. now i know who to ban next.