Pursuit Of The Perfect Jump Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Mar 4, 2002.

1. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    youre 6'5'' man.

I Dont even want to imagine somebody 6'7'' jumpsmashing.

2. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    wait
    your 6.5... which is ... 6'6''.. my bad..

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Check out the nba slam dunk contest. Do those guys jump off one leg or two legs?

Aventus likes this.
  4. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    oh i didn't know about the shoulder injury, thats understandable at his age, hope no one toke my comment the wrong way, just making sure.

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    if u watch pro doubles......they can practically jumpsmash from anywhere, in all directions. of course, with more forward component comes greater power. but there's also block jumps to the sides that's frequently used, and is still effective. and for the backhand side, they can do a scissor jumpsmash, or a block jump(which is harder and happens less frequent)

Aventus likes this.
  6. Skirmisher

Skirmisher Regular Member

just need some advice

ive been playing for about 3-4 years now , and i find that when i "jump smash" ,in games, my form is generally off. About maybe 20% of the time i can execute it perfectly. So recently ive been going outside and having someone watch me, or taping myself, jump smash without the bird. I find that without the bird my form is very good, or as good as i could hope it to be. But the problem is when there IS a bird, my timing of the jump is off really often; and thus results in me having to sacrifice some of my form in order to hit the bird still.

Anyone have any advice? Should i just keep practicing against a partner?

thanks

7. yeerk21

yeerk21 New Member

florist
    jump smashing is hard....

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

This is the same problem I have... it's easier when there's no shuttle. But as soon as you bring a shuttle in, everything starts to feel awkward. I guess it's mainly timing the jump?

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I was playing A/B grade doubles club games last night, and since I knew nobody that I was playing against.. I decided to go all hard-out and I decided to shout out loud.

I usually only play C-grade men's doubles, but I could cope with A/B grade. My jump smashes were.. not like my usual ones ( they were much harder ). I was totally concentrated in the game itself, and I was playing superbly, compared to my usual games.

My conclusion: Shouting helps. :D

Aventus likes this.
  10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    timing is the key to all jump smashes, which is also why it is everyone's largest problem. this timing problem is made worse by the feather shuttle's trajectory. ever notice that jumping up to intercept flat clears produces better jump smashes than those where you jump up to meet a high lift/clear?

Aventus and tkmdr like this.
  11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

so what should you do to get the timing right?

12. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    jump smash ...
    it remind me when my brother making his own 'neutral deceptive,net kill and etc' ..
    he shouting like ... ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
    when he do one of that ... i run away and say that i dont know him
    really ashamed ... my bro face quiet same as mine so if i say i dont know him other wont believe me

sorry accidently change topic
    i always watch how taufikh hidayat and lin dan smash
    the most importing step is the step before jump
    but i have timing problem lmao

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

you "practice"

;)

A good start would be to be on time, not jumping backwards, and don't jump the full 100%, but first get a decent smash at 75-80%, you'll be more consistent.

14. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    thats what i practising ... other then that i go on sit-up-jump ... skipping and other

15. pawoool

pawoool New Member

A little bit confused...
    Jump smashes produces more power than a regular/onelegged, or just a better angle.
    Is Mag saying that the two legged technique involving the kick/knees will compensate and produce both a better angle and power than the regular smash?

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Jump smash with good technique is better angle and power. The leg kick doesn't give more hang time, it just helps with the kinetic chain as you contract your core

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

Aventus and visor like this.
  17. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

Aventus and visor like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In between being injured, I went back to getting some coaching in men's doubles and learnt some new things about the smash. The coach just retired from the international circuit as a doubles player. As for my background, I used to train a lot of singles but never really trained specifically for doubles. This time, my objective was to makes changes to improve my doubles play.

I spent a number of hours on refining the smash technique and learnt some new things.

- the doubles smash is different from the singles smash (OK I knew that but didn't know how to improve my doubles smash )

- I didn't need much change on the leg work

- the striking point was further forward by another foot and slightly lower equating to a position of half past one to nearly two o'clock.

- I was asked open up my shoulders more going up in the air

- going upwards, my racquet shaft and forearm make a more of a straight line and nearer vertical.

- going upwards again, my right elbow was changed to being slightly above the level of my shoulders (classically, we are taught it is just below the level of the shoulders )

- all this change of preparation is to make you hit down on the shuttle as opposed to swinging the racquet at the shuttle.

- as mentioned before in the thread, the smash motion is an almost simultaneous contraction of the abdominal muscles, pectoral muscles, shoulder, triceps and elbow on top of the shuttle rather like the chopping of an axe. Previously, my action was more sequential. I really have to emphasize the abdominal core muscles contraction part - that area I was a bit weak on in my old technique.

- when I land, I am literally already falling forward because of the centre of gravity. That's how much further forward the hitting point is relative to the 1 o'clock mentioned in the past.

- we worked on the 'hang' technique. This helps adjusting to different variations of speed of the shuttle.

- it is much better to do some work on your core muscles. I went back to the gym and did some workouts on abdominal rotation, crunches, back muscles and planks. The first month and a half was pretty hard with continual muscles aches. But this got better. As a side result I noticed my backache on long haul flights has got much better!

The end result gave me a surprise. I ended up with a much heavier smash with penetration. (I.e. boom :D ). During the last part of the shuttle's flight, the floating of the shuttle was much less. So, the shuttle goes more directly to the ground. I also get a steeper smash. Bearing in mind I am already a pretty decent player, I was very impressed with these changes on the end result.

Aventus, kwun and amleto like this.
  19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Intersting post, @Cheung, thanks. Also thanks @Phydhel. I think you've posted this here before?

Does this mean pull your shoulders back more, or change the direction that your chest is pointing more?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You could interpret it as pulling the shoulder back more but I hesitate to say so as that could mean different things to different people.

For me, the upper body was already in the right position but I needed to 'pull' both shoulders back (both shoulder blades go backwards more ) so that my chest expands outwards. Your lumbar spine will tend to arch backwards naturally at the same time. With this position, you can contract your abdominal muscles and your pecs together when you smash.

Aventus likes this.