Cooking

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Apr 10, 2016.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    More specifically simple meals with reasonably simple preparations that does not make eating out a more attractive proposition. Yes, I've heard of all the merits of healthy eating and cost savings (and partly convinced) etc so let's skip that bit.

Was gifted a rice cooker by a family member and I have no idea on how to use it to cook a single person meal. I do have a wok/saucepan et al but am bereft of ideas on what to cook, more so for stuff that could potentially last the whole day. The refrigerator is currently only making ice cubes, freezing fish balls and frozen vegetables as well as chilling water.

Do your best and share, BC!

All I can think of right now are stir fried pasta.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    was your family member trying to tell you something? ;)

rice cooker i guess can be used to cook meals, but in my household it is mainly used to cook rice. cooking rice is easy, that will get you your daily carb needs. and then just need to add some protein/meat and veggies it is a good and balanced meal.

for protein, the easiest thing to do is to make soy sauce chicken wing/legs. you can buy ready made sauce in a bottle already, and then it is a matter of dumping the chicken into the pot with the sauce. just as easy as making instant noodles.

for veggies, i must admit i am not a veggie person, but to boil veggie is just a matter of timing.

if you have left over rice, making fried rice the next day with it is also very easy. just pour some frozen veggie (pea/corn/carrot) and then add some meat, sausage, ham, chicken, add oil. and fry it in a wok/pan. and then when those look cooked, add in the rice and some soy sauce.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It is very sad to think that you are sitting, slowly starving to death, all because bookstores, libraries and the internet are entirely bereft of recipes. ;)

But, of course It is always nice to get advice from your peers at BC.

I have limited experience in the kitchen but here's a local recipe. From my end of the world to yours. :)
    https://liveruralnl.com/2011/07/03/newfoundland-seal-flipper-pie-recipe/

kwun likes this.
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i will be so rich if i ever start a website for starving bachelors. forget about this badminton stuff.

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Mom bought me a rice cooker thinking I was tight for cash after moving in to my new house, seeing that I had only the master bedroom and a dining table plus some essential kitchen appliances in place. In reality I'm in no hurry to fully furnish the place considering I'm home alone most of the time with visitors few and far. Makes it very much easier to keep clean as well.

I know I know, I will need the sofa in case there's a need to ...get to know people better... o_O

Anyway, simple, single serving meals one can prepare in a short time ie. after coming home from a long day at work, lazy weekend etc.I could whip up something if motivated but those days are few and far between, need to balance between cooking to feed myself and other distractions, the latter winning most of the time as I could easily eat out.

118.7% sure there are other bachelors on here who could use some help but are too macho to say, "Help".

Stir Fried Pasta
    • 1 bowl of pasta shells (I love conch shells), boiled with a pinch of salt, set aside
    • Some cooking oil
    • An egg
    • A pinch of salt, if needed
    • Tomato ketchup (or pre-mixed puree for the more fancy ones in here)
    • Button mushrooms (tinned if you're lazy)
    • Some soy sauce
    • Chopped garlic (lots of it, love it!)
    1. Heat wok and stir fry garlic until fragrant.
    2. Add an egg and mushrooms, stir to prevent eggs from clumping into big pieces.
    3. Add boiled pasta shells and stir fry for a bit.
    4. Mix a bit of tomato ketchup and soy sauce wih a bit of water, add salt if needed.
    5. Pour into wok, mix and let it simmer until dry-ish.
    6. Remove from wok, sprinkle with some white pepper.
    7. Eat

Above works, improvised it from being hungry in the middle of the night in my mom's kitchen using whatever I could be bothered with to setup a snack. :cool:

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Stir fried spicy chicken leg nuggets and veggie go very well with rice. In case you don't have an outdoor high-powered LPG burner, the OP can refer to Grace Young for indoor wokking with the electric stove:

And get Grace's book for different recipes.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching