Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by DarkHiatus, Apr 28, 2016.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

So I've started getting a little bit of lower back pain after harder sessions that normally goes away in 1-2 days.

The difference to how I used to play seems to be mainly using round the head shots a LOT more - I am really twisting and turning a lot more than I used to.

Wondering if anyone has similar experience, and/or if this is something I should be worried about long term? So far the pain is only as bad as going to the gym and working out any other muscle hard.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hopefully your problem is only mild and temporary.
    But backs have a way of blowing up on you: What starts as an occasional "tweak" one day suddenly becomes excruciating and long-lasting.

So, my advice is get ahead of this thing. Speak to a physiotherapist or chiropractor (whomever you trust more) and get advice on where your vulnerability is, and which stretches and strengthening exercises you can do to shore things up before they get worse.

It goes without saying that you should do proper warm-ups and warm-downs after your baddy sessions.
    Good luck. :)

3. Lorna Mair

Lorna Mair New Member

Hi

I came across this thread and currently treat many badminton players with the Bowen Technique. at my Bowen Therapy Clinic. One of the players was referred to me as an injured player after struggling with back issues for over 5 years. He had tried all other kids of treatments and therapies, which had limited or no results, however he is now fighting fit, and actually competing in International Competitions in Indonesia next week.

Often back issue with players in your sport is due to a tight Illiopsoas muscle or pelvis misalignment, and 3 sessions of Bowen should see an improvement if not resolution. Studies have shown that 80% of pain people experience originates from tense, damaged and traumatised facia which thickens and causes pain. The Bowen Technique address this thickened facia and encourages it to go back to its original state.

The technique however is not only used in professional sports worldwide for injuries, it is also been used by many elite athletes for both injury prevention and increase endurance.

Developed in Australia, and being incorporated in Sports Industry Worldwide, The Bowen Technique involves very gentle moves over very specific, muscles, tendons and ligaments which stimulate the central nervous system to correct any imbalances in body alignment, correcting misfiring muscle patterns and even hormonal imbalances. It is due to the combination of all its work that it is so effective in sports injuries, pain management and increasing endurance.

If you would like more information please visit my Facebook page "My Bowen Therapy" or my website www.mybowentherapy.com where there are posts about using the technique in badminton you may find of interest.

https://www.facebook.com/mybowentherapy/?fref=nf

Kind regards,

Lorna

visor likes this.
  4. Chicagoo

Chicagoo New Member

Just recently had problems with the left side of my lower back but seemed to have found a solution to my problem so I'll share it with you in case it is of help to someone.

Basically the problem was incorrect movement/use of legs especially when hitting the shuttle when it has flown past me on the round the head shot. I basically didn't bring my left leg far enough behind my body which caused excessive stress on my back since it had to keep me up against the backwards momentum without any support. This video demonstrates the correct technique quite nicely and even highlights the "better" examples:

Note that in my case I started getting pain from other more normal movements as well due to the accumulated stress. However I do believe the problem described above was the root cause. After 1-2 weeks of rest and a change in footowork I've been able to play at full power again with no pain.

#4 Chicagoo, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Update: For me the pain went away after 2-3 weeks, massaging my back occasionally. I believe the cause was suddenly using muscles I hadn't used before. Personally, it never caused me problems except for when I did the round the head movement. I didn't see a doctor in the end as after a week I was already seeing improvement.

Glad to see you recovered from your injury and thanks for sharing :)

6. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Good to know about your improvement DarkHiatus. I suggest you regularly do stretching exercises to prevent the back pain in future.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The best thing one can do about preventing issues with the back is simple: Strengthen your core muscles! Stronger back muscles and abs sprovide better stability for the spine during all sorts of movements, especially important with quick and "big" moves like we do while playing badminton. A forehand round the head shot is a perfect example - just take a look at how much the spine has to bend and twist. :eek:

In fact most people, including myself, have certain weak spots in the back/spine area. For me it's a slight sideways scoliosis which has caused me issues with pinched nerve in the thoracic spine on a reliably regular basis. My orthopedist recommended to start doing pilates, yoga or any other form of static excersises to strengthen especially the large back muscles that run parallel to the spine. I started with visiting a pilates class (gave me the biggest muscle hangover e v e r!!!) and continued with my own core program, mostly consisting of various planks and more or less static abs excersises. And what should I say - the occurence frequency of my pinched nerve has gone down from around once every 3-6 months to around once every 24 months (last time it occured when I had a bad cold and had to sneeze and cough a lot...:confused:).

Useful side effects of a strong core:
    1) better balance and stability when moving around the court
    2) gives you more power and consistency in every shot
    3) picking up girls on the beach becomes easier... so I was told... :p

8. phili

phili Regular Member

A stronger core helps a lot with lower back pain. I like to do deadlifts with submaximal weights focussion on bracing my core really hard before the weight leaves the floor. To give you some idea on how hard one should brace: My warmup weights hove a bit over the floor once I braced my core.
    Also what seems to help is go for a run.

9. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    another reason for lower back pain which i dont think is mentioned often enough is flexibility. especially of the legs. In badminton i know we are often very negligent of our warm ups and cool downs. which as we get older becomes more and more important.
    So when we neglect to warm up we have very tight hamstrings and it becomes harder for our body to take the strain. I was always taught your Gluts (bum muscles) should take as much of the strain as possible, and that will help save your back. So before each game try to do a light warm up, enough to feel the burn in your legs and then do some hamstring and quad stretches. and then after playing, take a few minutes to do the same.
    In terms of conditioning work hard on squats and leg conditioning. you should find you get less lower back pain after this.