Printing name and country illegal/disrespectful?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by knajills, Jun 6, 2016.

?

How would you feel if someone printed name/country but are not sponsored?

1. Angry/distraught

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Totally cool... they can do whatver they want on their shirt.

100.0%
  1. knajills

knajills Regular Member

As a intermediated/advanced club player, would it be disrespectful or even looked down upon if I am not a sponsored athlete who wears a badminton shirt with my name and country of citizen?

2. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

I am proud to have my name and country printed on my jersey! I see nothing wrong with it!

3. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I guess I should return my FC Barcelona top with my name on then :D.

Unless they are claiming to actually represent their country, there is no problem.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

As long as you're not a beginner, in which case you'll just be embarrassing your own country.

s_mair and DarthHowie like this.
  5. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    What make you think is disrespectful? I see nothing wrong with it.

Like soccer jersey, basketball singlet and baseball t-shirt, the official equipment provider like Nike, Adidas, Champions, Under Armour and etc sell these shirts with players name, number and sponsor logo in their own retail shops, and this is part of their revenue.

Pro players like Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, Kobe Bryant, Stephen Curry and others, they are proud if someone wearing their authentic national jersey/shirt with their name printed behind. The more people wearing, the more income for these superstars.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Nothing wrong with it, for me, but printing the country in the country is question is kinda pointless.

(Like all these England flags we see in England during footie tournaments - look, we're going to assume you'll be supporting the country you live in. No need to tell anybody.:mad:)

7. esppy

esppy Regular Member

If you ask me, I just find it disgraceful only if you don't move decently, don't represent or even have half an idea how to play, but yet declare to the world your nationality and name. We don't need and don't want to know, man. (Though knowing will help us laugh over coffee or a meal later about that dude so proud and yet delivers so little..)

That said, I've been witnessing this on a pretty constant basis: Name, and then just the brand logo below it.
    Definitely not a sponsored player, shoes and gear not even high end (really entry level) and the kicker: it's printed on a FAKE IMITATION shirt. Dead giveaway due to the color gradient.

I'm a bag of mixed emotions on this one: I applaud the dude's love of the brand, and yet despise it due to the complete and utter lack of budget to even get a proper set of shoes. If I were him I'd prolly spend the money on printing and top up extra to get a proper set of boots.

Racquet may be personal and clothes, whatever works.. So my main peeve would be a good pair of shoes since its the one thing that gives you cushion and contact to the ground. And yet you skimp on that, but tell the world your name and your love for the brand.. I'm not sure I can give you the due respect.

Overall my stand would be: if you can't carry the status or don't have to, then don't.

8. Slayer74

Slayer74 Regular Member

Wear ur name and the country flag, be respectful and be proud of it, cause I am!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    Every time you leave your house, and walk down the street - you're representing your country. Wear your colours with pride!

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You could view it as something that needs to be earned so that is probably why one could think there is a possibility you would be looked down upon.
    But just sticking to name and country I don't see the problem with it, nor a pro player's name, country AND sponsor logo. YOUR name, country AND sponsorship logo on the other hand :Do_O ...

11. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

I would suggest that as along as it's not the same type of shirt which is used by the national representatives of your country. As Demolidor said, juniors and seniors who work hard to earn their spots in their countries national team may feel that you didn't earn the right to wear a shirt which projects the image that you were selected to represent your country.

12. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    Any athlete who resents the fact that other people want to wear their country's colours, does not deserve to represent them. Anyone who is proud enough of their country, that they want to buy their own uniforn, is more than worthy of wearing it. Sports are all about being inclusive. It's not about being elitist.

13. Sam Cassar

Sam Cassar Regular Member

student
    I think you should only print your name and country if you are playing international tournaments like I do :)

14. phili

phili Regular Member

I don't see a reason why you even want to do that unless you are forced to. I also couldn't care less if someone decides to print his name and nationality on his/her shirt.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO there are two simple rules:

1. As long as you aren't part of the national or don't represent your country at an international contest -> skip country
    2. As long as you don't play that high that an umpire is needed for your league games and tournaments in a professional enviroment -> skip you name

If you represent a club, just go for the club name. That's enough. Anything else looks absurd. Especially when your not a relevant player for your country and don't play at that level, that everybody must remember the name.

necrohiero likes this.
  16. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Well, i like to personalize shirts and all, nothing for badminton though, no chance. What i really want is not the country name.. but the country flag, not that intimidating (or obvious) but atleast it is closer to the heart.