YONEX Voltric Durable Grade (vt7DG vt10DG)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Alex_Xu, May 29, 2016.

?

Is it right for companies to encourage higher tensions?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
  2. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Still 3-5 lbs below Apacs, but the gap is closing in, looks like Apacs will announce 50lbs racket soon. It is a medium range YY, so those who can actually plays above 30lbs will not use it.

3. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    Does anyone play at over 40 ibs? Don't really see the point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

^This.

Might as well make a ladies' purse with a strap warrantied to 200 kg.

Alex_Xu likes this.
  5. Carbonex_7

Marketing 101, it shows how strong the frame is, just like someone who spent millions on a supercar with 450kmh top speed. Seriously, I would rather buy this racket than YY Nanoray Glanz which has spec of max tension of 22lbs. I know a stringer who strung his racket at 40lbs, just to show how good his stringing skills is, forget about hitting, i think it is no different than hitting with frying pan.

6. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    Story behind this means a lot more
    "Shows how strong the frame is"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Carbonex_7

please enlighten !

8. KingLCW

KingLCW Regular Member

Student
    35lbs is reli reli hard...
    Of course wif the advanced technology a normal top range racket like zf2 can hold up to 35 lbs, not a problem
    However those racket can hold more than 40 lbs it even 50 lbs hv no point coz ppl cant play it, too hard to hit
    N most important is the string will break at the tension ard 45lbs depends on the thickness
    Stringing such high tension is also dangerous to the stringer...

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Yonex mid-range racket with 35lbs ??? it's like a beginner driver that just passed the license to drive test, buys Toyota or Daihatsu that are able to top-speed for 455kph. It is total useless! Why can't Yonex do that to their hi-end racket instead? mid-range is primarily focus on beginner to intermediate who might string at 24-26lbs... maybe make it to 28lbs. There is really no point in advertising mid-budget racket for 35lbs when most of the users would let their stringer choose the string for them.

10. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    beginners in the uk have rackets already strung thats arounds 19 ibs ...

Severus Bolton and Bernie66 like this.
  11. serasalmus

serasalmus Regular Member

Has anyone actually had an experience with these rackets?
    Reviews please..

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't agree with the statement that highend rackets are purely used by decent players and mid-end rackets by beginners and inexperienced players. I have seen players around my area in the new 2016 kit with Duora10, who are easy to beat and I also know people who will beat your ass off on court, but judging by the cheap racket they play, you wouldn't expect this.

IMO it is a smart move. Not every decent player get a sponsorship. If you are a decent player or are used to high tension, you will run out of money quickly for your equipment. I will keep my eyes on them. I don't like Yonex, but IMO a good move.

Alex_Xu likes this.
  13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    BTW every stringer who really strung 35lbs in his life, don't care about a Panda, an Apacs or an Yonex or a Victor etc. I think that the frames are not the weakest points of most 3U's and some 4U's. The weakest point and most brutal opponents of rackets at such tensions are the holes and the available grommets. Especially some shared holes.

14. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I offer my congratulations to Yonex for taking such a step and releasing these rackets. I'm sure they will have huge appeal to players who understand and can handle such high tensions.

For the lower standard players that I see in clubs, i wouldn't recommend these high tensions but I would certainly recommend the rackets. I'd be vety interested to test these models when they are available in the UK.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I don't think that Yonex encourage higher tensions. If you go for something too high for you, you will easily see in a game that you fail and suck.
    I can't imagine that any guy, goes for something incredible high, step on court and just clear half court and his smashs became drops. He will keep this tension get a sore arm and keep this tension. I can't imagine this scenario.
    What I can imagine that alot guys are after the highends of their idols and choose rackets which they can't handle with ease. I have often read here "Help I use ZFii 3U but I feel tired after 2 games, I need a backup when I'm tired. BS12L or Arc FB?" I never read here that somebody wrote: "Help I use BG66 with 28lbs, but my smashs are quite weak, should I try 34 like VA or 36 like Tago?"

16. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Speaking from my own experience as a beginner to badminton here who started out at 29*31 lbs, but i'd like to dispel the above myths:
    -Clears are fine, smashes do not become drops and this is assuming that you have basic physical capabilities.
    -Only difference are backhand power shots and poor shot making quality. Bad shots simply do not execute at all, you are forced to play within the sweetspot zone (which is great imho)
    -The net result is a combination between string tension and racquet frame-shaft stiffness. So high tension - flexible shaft combinations are the equivalent to a lower conventional tension
    -As for joint injuries, sore arms and tennis elbow : I recently got tennis elbow from a single, backhand only drill session lasting for a total duration of 3-4h with my flexible 24 lbs racquet. That racquet has been sitting as my spare for months so its tension is at an abysmal 20lbs at best. Instead, I suspect that its due to vibrations caused by wrapping my grip around bare wood ; its a thick grip but needs more cushioning I guess. Got to look up dampening mechanics soon.

Don't quite understand why these silly ideas and unfounded preconceived notions get propogated around but I'd thought I'd share my actual experiences with you guys. Mind you, my tennis elbow occurred while I was on the 20lbs spare some 9 months later. My main 29*31lbs 's strings broke after my first 2months starting out. As it stands, the DG sounds like a great training aid to me. Love it 10/10 and am actually trying to source one right now lol!

swsh likes this.
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    First of all a tennis elbow is often caused due overuse. IMO the culprit is the difference in grip size and not the tension. Wrong grip size is often the problem. Your pain could be from overuse + not proper technique + different grip for the bh clear and using too much force + different tension. That a too low tension lead to injuries and higher tension not isn't true. It's mostly the other way around. Especially when you switch rackets. Just blaming the low tension is not fair. Just 20% of possible reason.

BTW I met a lot people as a stringer who used higher tension by their knowing instead of really pulled by the stringer. Alot black sheeps are outside and 2 month durabilty is pretty doubtful for correct tension at 31lbs. If you can't generate power with the backhand, which is the more compact and faster swing with your 31lbs job, you are using the wrong tension for resonance or don't have the technique, which caused the injury. With the right tension you should be able to execute every shot. Just my 2 cents, no offense.

18. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

That's exactly my point, I did not imply nor blame low tensions for causing injuries but instead, suspected a false association there so I simply pointed out the facts for an objective comparison. The irony here being that no injuries were caused at 31*29 lbs as a complete beginner, when I first started but instead, ended up with tendinitis on my 20lbs spare a year later. As we both mentioned, its likely due to a number of other reasons.

As for the 2 month durability @ 31 lbs, it probably lasted that long due to the following:
    -Do account for tension loss. 2lbs within 24h, 10% loss by the end of the month
    -Anecdoctal evidence says that if the racquet is kept idle after being freshly strung for a period strings lasts longer: It sat for a month after being strung, before I got to play with it
    -String went on a brand new racquet. New grommets.
    -Stringer who did the job looked to be an expert, not only was it strung in <20min, I found all sorts of fancy knots on it after (did ask my local stringers here what sort of knots these were but they weren't able to identify it).
    -A non-performance, lasting string (NBG 98 is a soft string, unlike bg80 or 66um, forget the marketed durability ratings, actual user evidence)
    -As a beginner, naturally, my shots were weak and I had a stiff racquet to contend with
    -Only played twice a week then, 3h a session
    -Climate wise, I live in a dry region averaging around 5-15° in winter and 25-42° in summer so thermal expansion or contraction and whatnot are minor.

On that note I believe that my ideal tension at my current ability is actually somewhere around 28lbs so it makes sense to factor in the tension loss I thought (definitely was not the case when I started out on 31). Its interesting to note that some users around here claim to never break their strungs so I would suspect that its a direct measure of force generation, thats my 2 cents lol. Thanks for sharing, great discussion :D

19. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I will be testing Voltric 10 DG very soon. My next racket for review is Duora 7 and then I'm going for 10 DG.

It's a good healthy discussion on string tensions. The culture in UK is for lower tensions, especially due to the air, temperature in halls etc.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

dave010, badmintony and ucantseeme like this.
  20. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Ooh sounds great, the Voltric 10DG paper specs look very promising and appealing to me ; can't wait to read your review on it! Interestingly enough, it even seems to incorporate those tungsten grommet strips and imports a quad frame shape from the voltric z force 2 lineup.