What strings and tension do current professionals use?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by R20190, Feb 28, 2012.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

For me, tapping/clicking baddie9905's post anywhere on the picture opens a new tab (iPhone Safari and PC Chrome) to the photo post in facebook. Tap/click top left opens the facebook page. I'm not seeing any video link though.

edit: apparently directly copying and pasting the url shows the screenshot above.

One of those days that XenForo ****s things up royally while trying to be beautiful, I guess.
    I'm a vB guy.

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You are right. Clicking on the original picture opens up a FB video which doesn't move.

Some other linked videos still appear as broken links in Tapatalk but are fine in the browser. Here's an example screenshot taken from my own thread:

[​IMG]

Interface between XenForo and Tapatalk is not that easy it seems.

3. esppy

esppy Regular Member

They switch the url that we paste into {media=facebook} tags (change { to [ ). Gah! Xenforo!!!

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Congrats, then, you've proven that even a person with an additional 21st chromosome can make a correct prediction once in a while.
    Too bad that's all your presence here amounts to, seeing how you have nothing to add to the actual discussion.

Regarding the image (thanks @s_mair) - a .61 string by Yonex? Are they trying to push the Zymax strings off the market? :D Because I cant see a different reason to produce a string that no high level player will use - the risk of breaking it is too high, doesnt justify that additional control if you lose 2-3 points per match due to broken strings...

5. esppy

esppy Regular Member

BGAS aka AeroSonic, released last year is the current 0.61mm string in Yonex's stable. White color is avail so i'm not that intrigued..

What does, is the 0.67mm red string sample for the mains... The current one that is 0.67 is BG85, and it doesn't come in red. So thats interesting.

6. baddie9905

baddie9905 New Member

Yea, my first thought was a cross between BG85 and aerosonic as well.

Will strings with different diameters have different tension holding qualities?

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @j4ckie up on the wrong foot or just a bad day? ;)

tkmdr likes this.
  8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Zero tolerance for idiots day ;)

Different diameter strings will usually have different tension retention, yeah - but when one string holds its tension better, it'll get stretched harder eventually as the frame starts to deform a bit, so it shouldnt be too big of a difference.
    Initially, there wont be any difference at all, so dont worry about Endo's frame :D

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. Andizhu

Andizhu Regular Member

Owners of Sports shop
    The cross maybe Aerosonic, I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    If AS is the cross, the starting knot is a good challenge at 32lbs. IMO hybrid stringing is in badminton like a good red wine with ice cubes. Not necessary. Especially for a sponsored pro from Japan. Went for Hybrid on my own once and never again. But some people swear by hybrid...in tennis...sometimes...:D

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think that Emsdetten screwed you up.;) A friend of mine send me some impressions via Whatsapp and you was sitting on the sides. :D:D:D Some friends played there and were not amazed by the schedule. Hopefully I didn't played there, but the PENNY must be great. :D

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Huh? I dont follow :D maybe youre mistaking me for someone else...? Or maybe you meant a different location...? :D

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My starting knot is up to it;).

Couldn't agree more. There's a reason for it in tennis, but I can't see one in badders. Though it looks friggin cool if you get the colours right - green/orange in the case of the Duora, not red/white!

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Oh dear. I checked the regs. Sorry for the mistake but this allblack everything guy with grey-orange shoes had been your twin. Sorry. :oops:

Double-Toshi also works fine on the AS.;) This right colormatching to a racket is IMO very underclass and looks cheap. Call it the hot wheel syndrome. I have such customers and...I hate them. :rolleyes:

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Is it possible to string AS @32lbs?
    Wanted to try it but it snapped when pulling 28lbs.

16. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Endo is just miles ahead of you, joining the "Denmark won the Thomas Cup" fan club!

Go Dannebrog!

I actually wondered why they didn't play these colors in TC, being available in BG80.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

@craigandy: probably a sharp edge on the clamp or sth...for high tensions with such thin strings, you need pretty good equipment...

@FeatherBlaster: probably didnt do it because you cant really see it from more than 1m away :D just looks pinkish/light red...

18. FeatherBlaster

I even considered if there was some pattern that could be used, to generate the proper "cross" of the flag (etc. one set in the middle, one set in the sides/top/button). But it seemed like you have to go a long way around the frame for that, and maybe use a lot of clamps.
    Any ideas?

19. FeatherBlaster

Regarding this whole hybrid thing (and comments like the one that says it doesn't make sense for a "sponsored player" to use hybrid):

Perhaps it'snot a question of looking at it, as a means of saving money (which I suppose is the normal reason for people asking to go thicker on the mains).

Perhaps it's a matter of getting the maximum performance from your string, within the breakage tolerance you have.

Endo might like the performance from BGAS, but feel that it breaks to easily, thus costing him too many points during a match.

However, going safe with BG80 doesn't give the ultimate performance.

Then look at hybrid like this: You can go thinner on the crosses, improving overall performance from your string bed, without increasing the chance of breaking your strings (since it is 90% mains that break anyway).

If that's the way Yonex/Endo is trying to look at it, it makes sense to me. It would also be a way for the pros, to start using high performance strings more (without suffering from severe number of breakages).

20. FeatherBlaster

As for the "looks" of two-piece, two-color jobs, I think they can be the worst of the lot, but I also feel some combinations actually look good!

Pink/Lavender would look make Mark A look like a true princess, if applied to his ArcSaber 9FL or his LiNing N60!!!

Anyway, two-tone is a hit with many juniors, and I can understand why.

I haven't done any with [shocking color]/black, but I bet it would give a distinct look - almost like you play only mains (or crosses)?

I don't have any black string to test with, because I think people over the age of 18 playing black strings are dicks. (Look at my trick deception shot, making you do to the wrong side... or wait, you can't really see my strings or racket at all... Guess you won't bite then).

visor likes this.