Lighter alternative to Arc11/Duo10? All cents appreciated :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by leemingjun, May 22, 2016.

1. leemingjun

leemingjun Regular Member

Hi everyone,

Need some recommendations for a lighter alternative (4U weight ~84g) to the Yonex Arcsaber 11 and Yonex Duora 10.

I have managed to narrow down my racket preferences to even balance with a touch weight in the head (290-295mm) and stiff flex (Arc11/Duo10 stiff). Currently own these two rackets but I feel that a 4U racket would give me a slight edge in maneuverability during doubles smash defence and front court interceptions.

I have done a search on this sub-forum but the closest discussions I could find were about cheaper alternatives rather than lighter alternatives. Initially, I was looking at the Mizuno JPX 8 / Tachyons and the Victor MX90 but I decided to seek help from the wealth of collective knowledge among BC-ers. Recommendations can be from Yonex/Victor/Mizuno/Fleet/Apacs or any others that are easily available in Singapore.

All cents appreciated be it 1c or 2c. Thanks in advance!

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Victor JS10

3. leemingjun

Thanks for the recommendation! I assume you are referring to a 4UG5 JS10?

Will the stiffness of the JS10 be similar to Arc11/Duo10? Seems like many ppl feel that JS10 is closer to extra-stiff.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yes, I mean the 4U version. Having played with Arc11 and JS10 I wouldn't rate the JS10 noticeably stiffer. I felt they both are pretty much equally stiff so if you can handle an Arc11, there is no need to be scared of the JS10. ;)

5. leemingjun

That sounds great! I'll try to get my hands on one to try it out. Thanks s_mair

Speaking of victor rackets, have you tried HX800? Or would the JS10 trump it so you recommended JS10 instead?

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I had the HX800 as a test racket but didn't like it at all. In my hand, the JS10 performs better in all aspects that matter - feel, power and speed. But as always with rackets, it all depends on how your personal swing style matches with the racket. So if you have the chance to test it, then put the HX800 on your list too. And add the BS12 too while you're at it - even if you take the 3U version, it will be a lot faster than a Arc11 but more flexible. And who knows, maybe you like a flexier racket once you tried it?! :rolleyes:

I'm curious to read some further recommendations from other brands too.

7. Nanoray900

Nanoray900 Regular Member

4u nr800 fits ur bill

8. visor

visor Regular Member

JS10 is much stiffer, much more demanding. Won't work.

Definitely consider Gosen Gungnir Alpha and Epsilon. Both 4U and slightly head heavy. And the right stiffness as Arc 11. And being extra long at 680mm, they can be powerful from the back court or fast in the front court as needed depending on gripping higher or lower.

I too prefer such specs as you, but have been unable to find it in Victor or Yonex range.

MX90 is noticeably flexier, and NR900/800 are head light.

#8 visor, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It doesn't happen often, but I'm afraid this time I have to disagree with you visor.
    In no way in the JS10 that untameably stiff beast you make it. It's noticeably less stiff than a ZF2 and only a tiny, tiny tad stiffer than an Arc11. At least that's what my finger-meter measured.

Apart from that I would love to give those Gosens a try. So sad that they are almost impossible to get as test rackets in good old Europe. And I can't afford to order two high-end priced rackets blindly within only a couple of weeks. That N99 has had a rather painful impact on my badminton budget...

10. mzheng168

mzheng168 Regular Member

i hope somebody may suggest 4U Victor HX600/HX500P because i want to find out as well;)

11. visor

visor Regular Member

LOL... what's your go to currently and what specs do you prefer?

ZF2 and JS10 shafts are probably very close in stiffness, but in actual play the lower head wt of JS10 makes it feel noticeably stiffer and more difficult to whip in comparison. MX80 now that is much stiffer.

#11 visor, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  12. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

I agree with Visor, if you want soemthing different, why not give the Gosen Alpha or Epsilon a go? They wont disappoint.

13. Nanoray900

Nanoray900 Regular Member

nr900 is even balance slightly to headlight, but i didnt recommend him since nr900 are only available in 2u/3u

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm still stuck with the JS10 4U which seems to be made for me somehow. In parallel I'm trying hard to make that N99 work consistently for me - it's a lot more demanding than the JS10 since it seems to have a sweet spot the size of a penny. If you hit it: Wow. If you miss it: Bummer. Compared to that, the JS10 is easy-peasy to handle.

I was thinking - you were using the JS10 as 5U, right? Is it possible that the 5U seems even stiffer due to the once more lighter head compared to the 4U?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep. But interestingly, my first one being TW code feels flexier than my second one which is CA code. Difference in country code? Or maybe because my first one is played quite frequently, so the shaft has become flexier?

16. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Shaft will become flexier over use - I had two BS12 AU coded and one is flexier than the other (which was my main that I have used for two plus years before getting the second)

People keep saying that the BS12 is a medium stiff racket but gee, I must have puny arms because I do find it more on the stiff side. I find the Duora10/N7 and most of Li Ning high end models flexier than the BS12. Could be a country code thing but who knows.

17. leemingjun

Thanks Nanoray900 for your recommendation. Nice of you to take the weight into consideration and recommending the NR800.

Also thanks visor and lostlore for the Gosen recommendations. The rackets look elegant which is a plus point. The Alpha sits in a nice weight range. Might check it out too.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I guess it's more lot to lot variation than a code issue. I would be surprised if Victor had separated production lots for each country code - I would assume that the rackets are produced in one batch and get their country codes at laser marking process at the end of production. But speaking of it, I have two DE coded 4U which I bought with almost 1 year gap in between - they differ by 3 grams overall weight with the older one feeling a tad stiffer. But luckily they both feel very similar in a real life match and I am not that OCD when it comes to spec numbers. Still it seems that keeping tight tolerances in production is definitely not the strong side of Victor. :rolleyes:

19. leemingjun

After reading the enlightening in-depth review by visor, I'd like to ask whether the Alpha would feel too head light from my desired specs.

Just curious as my feel of even balance with a touch weight in the head would be around 290-295mm but the Alpha stands at 288mm corrected. Thanks in advance!

20. visor

visor Regular Member

BS12 shaft is mid flex, but being head light, the low head wt makes it more difficult to bend the shaft during play, so it feels stiffer.

Re shaft getting flexier with more use, I know many players dismiss it, but that's how I feel it after being surprised over the years by new backup rackets that I've picked up that feel noticeably stiffer to play with than my favorite one that I play with a lot.