Does anyone know any badminton clubs in San Jose or around that area?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by alala, Feb 8, 2016.

1. alala

alala Regular Member

student
    Hi All

Does anyone know any badminton clubs in San Jose or around that area?

Im around the intermediate level and would like to play. The only thing I'm seeing around the internet right now is Bay badminton and Bintang but it only mentions 'come on your own and see if you can find someone to play with' kind of system. Is there any existing clubs that I know will welcome me as a visitor? Thanks :)

2. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    You could start with Singles on challenge courts (in Bintang). Then see if your opponent also plays Doubles. Once people recognize your face, it'd be easier to ask for a partner/game with players of compatible level later. It takes time.

I heard EBA is especially friendly; they would arrange games for you. However, it may be too far a drive for you.

CBA challenge courts (x2) allow you to sign up by yourself. When it's your turn, you could pick up one of the two players leaving the court (or any others you could find).

3. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Not sure if this reply is too late, seeing you're from London and you might have already returned home.

You can join the bay area badminton meetup on meetup.com, and come and you'll be matched with other meetup members. Of course the level varies, but it's a start.

Just a small correction: all the challenge courts at Bintang are for doubles. If the place isn't busy, then any court can be a singles (challenge or not) court.

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Geneva Bintang used to open at least 1 court (the outmost one) for Singles, but that's years ago. Maybe they've changed by now.

5. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Oh I thought the OP was talking about Bintang Milpitas, since he also mentioned Bay Badminton [Center, BBC].
    I've been to Bintang Sunnyvale only once so I don't know/remember what they have there. I'll take your word for it.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Milpitas Bintang also has people playing Singles, "unofficially"...:) You'd have to go there "off" (vs. peak) hours. Alternatively, OP can also try the challenge courts for doubles himself. Pick up a partner on the spot.

7. thesoothsayer

thesoothsayer Regular Member

Just over for a 3-week business trip.

Thinking of playing a few games here. How does the challenge court system work? Didn't bring my gear, but if there are games available, I wouldn't mind buying new gear over here.

8. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

What I'm describing below applies to Bintang Milpitas. Other gyms, such as Bay Badminton Center Milpitas, Bintang Sunnyvale, Bintang Campbell, California Badminton Academy Fremont, United Badminton Club Fremont, etc, may be similar.

There are challenge courts and doubles courts.

For challenge courts, you will need to find a partner (or pick one up by simply asking politely) and (in between points) tell the players on court that you would like to play the winners next. They will either say OK, or tell you someone else have already made the call. You will then need to identify those waiting and wait in turn.
    Winners stay. The losing pair will be out after one game, and then next in queue will play the next game.
    If you play elsewhere while waiting for challenge court, you'll lose your position and will have to wait from end of the queue again when you come back. Warm-up on other courts is OK and won't cost you your position.
    Verbal confirmation is the norm; the regulars will hate you if you jump the queue by officially signing up using the computer system.

For doubles courts, unlike the challenge courts, you should use the computer to sign up.

Milpitas Bintang is now down to 2 challenge courts (court 9 and 10). All other 22 courts are for doubles play. Of course, when it's not busy, no one cares if people want to play singles. But it's almost always busy on weeknights 7:30-9:30. Last night, there still weren't many open courts after 10:30, and they usually close at 11.

Back when there were 4 challenge courts, the level of play from highest to lowest was roughly court 9 (since it's closest to entrance) > 10 > 11 > 12 (all the way to the back of the gym). Now that court 11 is "gone," many regulars still make it an unofficial challenge court by collecting signup logins (everyone gets one when they enter), queuing them all, and rotating among themselves.

But if you're a serious player, and consider yourself worthy, you should try court 9 or 10 :)

9. alala

alala Regular Member

student
    Hi, I'll be going for a business trip in about a months time, is anyone interested in playing?