I LOVE my zforce2 but my shoulder hurts

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jminkeat, Mar 21, 2016.

1. jminkeat

jminkeat Regular Member

I really enjoy how zforce 2 (4ug4)gave me so much power in terms of smashing capability.

However, after using it for one month plus.. my shoulder starts to hurt alot. Probably due to the extra stiff shaft + head heaviness.

Any suggestion of other type/brand of racket... which retain the awesome smashing capability of zf2 but gives less stress to my shoulder?

2. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Many will tell u is the technique is wrong. Often we use brute force. And ad such hurt ourselves.
    Change to a light racket. Reduce force and rest. Slowly train up.
    Later go back to ur VF2? By the way VF2 not so bad.

mikomi likes this.
  3. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    In addition to what Bieffe said, I'd like to add that you need to focus on strengthening your wrist and forearm. The technique/form required to wield hammers like the ZF2 necessitates a strong wrist and forearm.

Bieffe likes this.
  4. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    I often look at kids who undergo training. These 10 to 12 yrs old have little issue to clear to the back line and beyond no accuracy...but easy stuff for girls and boys. They don't have and never use brute force...but must say the swing looks right. Give urself 6mths. However there is not right time for new gear...support your local shop.

5. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Another point to note they usually use mid end rackets. I ever exchange mine with a kid b4. He liked mine but I cannot play with his.

6. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

Ditch the racquet immediately. I too suffered from pain on my arm after using ZF2 for about 8 months. I shifted to a Voltric 80 and vola the pain disappeared. Voltric 80 is just as good as ZF2, in fact I was hitting harder with that racquet. Perhaps because it suits my style better. You should definitely try Voltric 80 if you get a chance. Alternatively, you can consider Victor's thruster 9000.

DarkHiatus, vibgyor1111 and Darren L like this.
  7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I'm switching back to my N50 III. I tried the ZF2 4U and it's nice and everything, but I don't feel like I gain anything from it. My Li Ning racket feels like an old friend; try going back to your old racket. Using the ZF2 for a while helps to build wrist strength, and it's part of why I wanted one. Once you've used it and acclimated, other rackets feel easier by comparison.

8. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    hi. why dont you put some weight training session on a badminton-day-off. do some shoulder press to increase shoulder joint strength. then u dont have to dump your beloved vtzf for another racket. :D

jminkeat likes this.
  9. Ferhard

Ferhard Regular Member

Music Producer, Painter, Gardener & Minton Player
    I've used both ZF2 and Voltric 80 PG. Both are equally excellent racquet and equally unforgiving on the shoulder. I just had my shoulder fixed by my physio. Despite her advice to rest for a good 2 months, I resisted and played after only 2 weeks. I told my friends to be gentle on me. I cant take big swings, I was forced to use more wrist and forearm and focus more on placing shots. Yesterday I started using a lighter racquet (Apacs) and my shots were as good as before without using much shoulder or none at all. I guess 'sometimes' an injury can be good for you.

10. phorge

phorge Regular Member

Once you get used to the feeling of a head heavy racket with a stiff shaft, you will find it hard to enjoy the game with a head light racket with a flexible shaft.

However, you need a strong and fit body to use these rackets. Most of us are not as fit as professionals and our technique is also not quite perfect. Therefore, if you're injured, you should always listen to your body. Toning down your game or using a lighter racket until your body gets back to form is the wise way to play. Do not go all out until you feel fully fit.

The aim is to play as long as possible.

11. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I can't play properly with head light rackets :D

LightSaber likes this.
  12. phorge

phorge Regular Member

Heh. Now that's another thread.

13. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

4U feels much nicer for me, I have 2x3U and those might have to be shelved, you can definitely feel the difference in strength requirements.

14. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Well there are pains that yell injuries, and other that just... Normal pain because u are exercising.

Of course using something heavier (even in weight lifting) could cause pain if it's out of your range.

Like the others have said. If the pain is exercise pain.. Keep training with rests too.

15. zx1010110

zx1010110 New Member

zf2 is already more user friendly than its ancestor at700, especially its 4u version.

If you feel pain in your shoulder after using zf2, probably you are using too much strength in your upper arm, it may leads to injury in your shoulder.

One way to avoid it is using forearm instead of upper arm. But it requires strong forearm due to its very stiff shaft. Practice your forearm then try it again.

Another way is switch to something lighter, like voltric i force which is 5u.

Injuries are the worst things, GOOD LUCK!

16. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I'm using VTZF II LCW 3U5 for a year now, and my shoulder still always hurt for couple days after a session of continuous smashing (resting for two to three days will always solve the pain). I switched to more flex racket Kason Twister C7 3U5 and never had any issue about shoulder pain for weeks. Then for one session i tried go back to VTZF II (because nevertheless, i still love the raw power of it) and the shoulder pain is back again. The pain is bearable unless i ride motorbike then my right-arm shoulder felt very uncomfortable (massaging helps reduce the pain). I used VT80 3U5 and never had any pain (sadly i sold the racket).

I'm not sure if my technique is wrong but physical attributes is no problem for me. Twice a week i'd visit gym, i intensively focus the weight-training on the wrists, elbow, and shoulder. I believe i use 80% of my wrist for smashing instead of full arm swing (too lazy to retract back my arm if it fully swing).

I think it perhaps due to the factor for very extra stiff of the racket, and not the head heavy or the weight of the racket itself (3U or 4U). I was thinking to get 4U5 version of VTZF II but then after read this post, i concluded the 3U or 4U ain't really the problem.

Is there any "less-stiff" racket like VTZF II available on market today? Preferably Yonex. Perhaps Duora10?

And there are 5 versions of VTZF II with different colors today? Is one of them maybe has softer flex shaft? or all 5 versions are pure color-changes only?

Thank you for any insights.

17. vibgyor1111

vibgyor1111 Regular Member

This is pretty good advice, but I'd try the tk9000 first. Slightly more flexible than v80 and the head weight seems more spread out. I play with both rackets though and you really can't go wrong with either.