2016 Badminton ASIA Championships : FINALS (1st May)

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2016' started by CLELY, Apr 30, 2016.

1. touya

touya Regular Member

Also what about the extra ceremony for Fukuman/Yonao and Greysia/Nitya? What was that for? Longest match? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Malaysian shuttler Lee defeats world No 1 in China final

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...nding&cid=tg:recos:trending:standard#cxrecs_s

Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei defeated his rival and world number one Chen Long of China on Sunday in the final of the Asia Badminton Championships.

• Posted 01 May 2016 19:26
    • Updated 01 May 2016 20:28

[​IMG]
    Lee Chong Wei beat Chen Long in three games to win the Asia Championships in Wuhan on May 1, 2016. (AFP/Str)

BEIJING: Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei defeated his rival and world number one Chen Long of China on Sunday (May 1) in the final of the Asia Badminton Championships.

The 33-year-old beat Chen 21-17, 15-21, 21-13 in the closely-fought final that lasted an hour and 22 minutes in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.

It is his third title this year and his second badminton Asia championship, he last won it in 2006. Lee is currently ranked second in the world.

Chen won seven straight points in the first set before Lee finished off with six straight points for the win. Chen then bounced back in the second set, but Lee won by a large margin in the third with 21-13.

In the semi-final on Saturday, Lee easily defeated two-time Olympic gold medallist Lin Dan, while Chen crushed Tian Houwei of China in straight sets.

In the women's singles, China's Wang Yihan defeated Li Xuerui of China 21-14, 13-21, 21-16 in an hour, clinching her third Asian title.

It was an even match with both players having won nine games against each other before today's contest.

The championship is worth $500,000 in prize money, according to the organiser's website.

- AFP/sk

CLELY, kwun and pcll99 like this.
  3. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Won the G1 22-20 after trailing, lost the G2 then won G3 with huge margin, but I still won't call it an easy win... not for anyone who watched the match :p a silly AFP reporter! Channel News Asia, same as many other newspapers in the SEA, just parrots the news aggregator, up to letters and comma.

Justin L likes this.
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wang Yihan surprised me with a victory over LXR. I did not watch the match but I guess she deserved it as she had been a hard worker. Additionally she is used to LXR's playing style.

Too bad that May lost in the earlier rounds but she has already done herself and THA proud with three consecutive wins and an upgrading as WR1.

It turned out that China was unable to dominate the tournament as she won only 2 titles, the rest spread out evenly among MAS, JPN and KOR.

Of course LCW was the talk of the tournament with hard-won victories over LD and CL.

And INA was unlucky not to be featured in the finals when its top WD pair lost in a record marathon (2 hr 41 min) in the semis:

WD - Women's Doubles
    Naoko Fukuman [​IMG][JPN] and Kurumi Yonao beat [​IMG][INA] Nitya Krishinda Maheswari [3]
    and Greysia Polii 13-21, 21-19, 24-22 2:41

#445 Loh, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    At least Lin Dan improved since MAS open where he lost 21-4 to Jorgensen;)

nokh88 and Rob3rt like this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Plz don't cry or else my friend blabl will cry too.

13095859_863832470394307_1076693799254787813_n.jpg

kelana and kwun like this.
  8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i think honor/honour is the right word to use here. it is part of the Japanese culture that dates back hundred of years.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I must say I am surprised and delighted by the behaviour of the Japanese pairs in WD. Some members here say it is because of honour, but I was foolishly thinking that their honour would be to fake the match, as it is said that in Japan one is ready to sacrifice oneself for the group. Well, I was wrong on that and Matsutomo/Takahashi really kept the spirit of the sport to the end. Not to be confused with their North East Asian neighbours.

pcll99, jma97 and nokh88 like this.
  11. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

Misaki/Ayaka what a good sportsmanship, good job. We are thanking you on behalf of Chang/Lee. Anyway, I think the lost Japanese pair has little chance of winning any medal in Rio also.

lee00 likes this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

True, but even having participated in OG but not win any medals, they would still be considered Olympians. But now...

Loh likes this.
  13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei once again proves to be biggest hurdle for China MS in Rio 2016 as he eliminated home twin stars Lin Dan-Chen Long in semifinal and final respectively, same story in CHN Premier last November. Former world number one Wang Yihan made surprise comeback to retain 2013 crown, this title is really crucial for her bid to eye second Olympic ticket.

Matsutomo/Takahashi also Lee YD/Yoo YS as well are quite predictable to bag Asian Championships gold medal. A high intensity for mixed doubles duel, Zhang/Zhao are back to their winning track, the sharp blocking by Zhao Yunlei at front area.

14. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Look on the bright side. better to face Chang/lee than Fuku/yonao for CHN WD.

15. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Things has been improving since the new leader of PBSI Gita Wirjawan took charge, even though we could still see some officials sending their own relatives or family but it's getting a lot better compared to when under the previous leader. Some racism stuffs from junior selection like you will be shut out from advancing if you're from certain ethnic happened in the past (and had a heavy impact and effect in declining achievement). Some favorism over family or relatives also. I'm not sure if this is also the case with Bumiputera priority going on in Malaysia considering one third are of Chinese descent there while here in Indonesian only a mere 3%

Loh likes this.
  16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, they set a very good example. Other countries should follow.

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    pcll99 and Loh like this.
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes, it's the participation.
    There's only one winner.

19. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Amazing picture....... all those badminton legs looked bent the same curvature.....

20. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Some countries don't even have a chance to face the same dilemma.