2016 Badminton ASIA Championships : FINALS (1st May)

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2016' started by CLELY, Apr 30, 2016.

1. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

I rather have a local talent whether he/she win or loss than a foreign import who play for money instead of pride representing Singapore. Foreign talent like jing junhong deserved to be praise as she married a Singaporean (not important factor) and stay back to help our local development of table tennis. But people like Li Jiawei, some "retired" badminton players and footballers who give out the citizenship once they retired are nothing to be proud about. Let keep the topic at sportsmen and women.
    For talent with Singapore Blood, either thru their parent or grandparent, they are always welcome to represent the Singapore Team (Similar like the Philippines football team) or foreigners that are developed by us since young (like most European Football National team).
    We want sportsman who represent Singapore with pride, not for money.
    We are proud that we have Ang Peng Siong, Fandi Ahmad, Joseph Schooling & Tan Howe Liang.

2. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

poor Fukuman/yonao they failed to qualify for Rio.

3. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

Loh, Let agree to disagree.

No matters what, I salute to you as our pioneer generation helping to build our small nation to a well respected country

Loh likes this.
  4. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

They must be crying their eyes out now since it is their own country men who blocked them at the final hurdle. But I admire their spirit.

blabl likes this.
  5. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

3 out of 5, not bad

6. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

I sorry if I offended anyone here. But as badminton fans some of the people here won't be happy if their idols are belittle. But in all honestly I think any top badminton players should be given due respect and recognition. They just don't come out of the sky, it is thru' from things like hardwork and a good sports training programme.

lee00 and hcyong like this.
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :D:D:D;)

We have a "Kindness Movement" here to try to educate people to be kind to everyone, because we may receive kindness out of nowhere ourselves. So we should try to be kind whenever possible and within our means.

To think that a person is different because of his background and thus have to be discriminated against is not a very kind thing to do.

I remember reading not long ago how Chinese minority groups in Southeast Asia, not in Singapore, were persecuted and some lost their belongings and lives simply because they don't speak the same language as the locals, or their skin colour is different or they belong to a different religion.

So we can't afford to and should not do this in Singapore, given our historical circumstances, lest there will again be chaos and bloodshed. It did happen in our past and we should not again allow discrimination rear its ugly head.

#427 Loh, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    lee00 likes this.
  8. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    I know Loh personally and he's a wonderful example of someone who's tasted the salt of the world, but keeps young at heart and encouraging towards the next generation.

I'd vote him for president!

kwun likes this.
  9. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

I still can't believe it, Misaki/ayaka showed no mercy

10. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Most of top players in my country's decent were "imported" from CHN long ago, in INA camp current players such as Setiawan, Natsir, Sanjaya, Fernaldi, Jordan, Susanto, Polii, Christie, just on top of my head.

Minority in term of population but HUGE contribution in badminton. Contributing only 3% of the population but approximately 80% of Indonesian badminton legends and Olympic medalists are of Chinese background/ethnicity.

visor and Loh like this.
  11. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

4 out of 5. thought Misaki/ayaka would let their teammates go to Rio

visor and vinaries like this.
  12. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

Although they are of Chinese ethnic, they are local born Indonesian, therefore not foreign import. Real local talent of Indonesia

hhmioo, Sundis, renbo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid you're one of the very few in this forum who really understand the geopolitics that's playing out in the world today and not just see things superficially and only parroting what's reported in the mainstream media without delving into the whys and wherefores.

blabl likes this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, same goes for Malaysian players.

blabl and vinaries like this.
  15. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Good to know some people have give a reply with brain rather than bomb here and there randomly for the sake of annoying other people..thumbs up bro! :cool:

well-son, visor and blabl like this.
  16. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Japanese and their sense of honour. Honestly I wouldn't have held it against them had they gone easy on their teamates. But the last thing the Japan Badminton Association needs right now is a new scandal after the whole momota affair ^^'

Very strong performance by AT/MM anyways, winning all of their match throughout the tournament in straight sets :)

blabl likes this.
  17. touya

touya Regular Member

After watching the medal ceremonial for WD again, I felt really bad for Fukuman/Yonao.
    Fukuman tried so hard not to cry, it's painful to watch.

I know it is the right thing to go all out for a match, even at the expense of your own countryman, but fate does seem too cruel for them. Not only once or twice, but three times they were denied for a title (and olympic chance) by their own teammates (SUI Open, IND Open, and BAC). My heart goes for them. I wish they would be able to achieve some major title, or at least some superseries title ahead.

Anyway, it is refreshing to see Greysia(and Nitya) were comforting Fukuman/Yonao at the end, and Greysia is also really friendly to everyone else. Couple times I spot her having friendly chat with Chang Ye Na. Good for them!

renbo, visor and Maurice MJC like this.
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    No team order there for sure.

While reality is cruel, I have to applaud their sportswomenship.

19. touya

touya Regular Member

BTW, anybody know why after the ceremony all of them have to take selfie together? I notice it even from semi final.
    It's good actually, I just curious why.

20. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Yeah they came close each time. But at the same time, I don't think it'd have been rewarding for them to be handed the victory, there is much honour in winning your spot in Olympics rather than being handed it. I think the weak link in this pairing is really Yonao she is the one covering the back part and makes a lot unenforced errors, she is also weaker on the defensive side than Fukuman in my opinion. I think the future success of this team will really depend on the improvement of Yonao. .

And yeah that's nice to see players being friendly with each other, since it's sadly more the exception than the rule in Professional Badminton (I think WD and MS are the most friendly categories)

kwun likes this.