Taufik loses cool with badminton bosses

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by kwun, Feb 16, 2005.

1. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    well, i dont want to judge him, who am I to judge him? we dont know WHAT goes on in his mind, we dont know what goes on in pbsi
    taufik said in the newspaper that he knew all along that there was always something like this, but there was never an agreement nor contracts about it, they just take the money, but who knows, he could be lying, or maybe he was right
    maybe there is something else that we dont know,,,,maybe he and pbsi have their own reasons,,

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here's my 2 cents..
    Eventhough most people would believe it as the main reason, IMO it's partially true, PBSI probably was a the "goat" of a *several* of the Indo ex-national players who decided to go overseas for them to expand their career(ie. Ronald Susilo, Ardy Wiranata, Rexy or Ricky M. who currently coached the England team, Tony G. and recently Halim Haryanto). However, I believe their reason of moving overseas has more to do with their own aspiration and personal need(mainly family), not so much of a "personal conflict" with PBSI. The reason why I said that is, we still can see how many of the ex-PBSI greats are still staying in Indo, some coaching in PBSI and othes have their own business. Only a handful are now out of the country.

The case with Taufik getting into a quarrel with Icuk, IMO is an extension of a previous incident(about 2-3 yrs.) ago, in which Taufik threatened also to jump ship and move to S'pore to join his old coach(I'm sure some of us know about that). I'm not sure if it is, but I think the recent incident could be seen as still part of that incident 2-3 yrs ago, whatever the reasons are. But the funny thing now is, Taufik's coach, Mulyo(and Christian H.) were the ones actually trying to separate Taufik and Icuk.
    And about whether "what Taufik is doing is trying to tell us that what the PBSI is now doing is not enough", probably. If so, then he is one of the "gutsier" one to "accuse" PBSI of doing such thing. If not, and he can't *prove* his arguments, then he is being "spoiled" and is acting foolish.

But of course, if you're an Indo or you know how the Indo govt. works, where corruption still rules, you'll realize that most things that are usually found and "justified" in western countries, are basically "swept under a rug". Unfortunately that's just how it goes.

About your request of any info on what other Indo ex-greats are doing now, i read some article on another website which mentioned what those players are doing now. If I have time, i will go back(and translate) the information to share with anyone interested.

#22 ctjcad, Feb 18, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Taufik *could be* lying, PBSI *could be* lying, who knows or what have you. But, when it comes down to "money" or talk of it, boy, I'm sure you know how it goes in Indonesia, right 'aiyuuw'??..It's so rampant, let alone the thought of *lying* and *injustice*, over there is very common. Add that to corruption, esp. by government themselves and you have a very touchy situation.
    Now, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen anywhere else though..:p.

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Thanks for the detailed explanations, ctjcad.

I'll just reiterate that Taufik is an exceptional player, contracted to PBSI. However, the environment where this contract exist, cannot be discounted. The law of contracts can be bent and manipulated very easily in Asia.

Indonesia does not produce champions at the same rate of China, or Denmark (I'm just speculating), and the PBSI is riddled with political problems like BAM, I believe, where the sport has to compete against personal gain of administrators, financial or otherwise.

To treat Taufik as equal to other players in PBSI is skewed given the fact that he has worked harder to become the Olympic champion. Reward the effort, as when he reaches 28-ish or so, his career is over.

My opinions :D

-dave

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I don't really know why or what reasons Taufik didn't want to move out of Indonesia, IF he really wanted to 2-3 yrs. ago.
    I mean the chance was there and he wasn't "bound" to any contract to PBSI.
    Personally if I were him, and knowing that Taufik already mentioned that he "dislike" how PBSI is running the show etc., I'll concentrate my effort in winning the AE and WC this year. Then right after the WC, since it will be played in the U.S. or by year's end, I'll find a way to get out of Pelatnas. Heck, on that note, if he indeed win both AE and WC this year, he might call it a career. Hmm, for selfish reason, he can contact Tony G. or Halim and get out of there and move to the U.S. and work with both of them(hehe).

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I believe Malaysia, Indonesia and China has been the top 3 powers in recent times, and have produce the most champions from all top badminton countries(esp. stating from the 2002 Olympics). BTW, Taufik is still 23 yrs. young I believe, going to be 24 this year(born in 1981). So barring any major injuries, eventhough he'll get older, he still got a few more mileage in him.

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I am not from Indonesia but here is my take on Taufik's behavior. PBSI is not created for Taufik, there should not be any exceptional rules applied to him. Noone will know the name Taufik if not PBSI, which is the organization that allows Indo badminton players gain access to international stage. If this incident happened privately between Taufik and Icuk or others, then it is not a big deal. If Taufik publicly criticized PBSI, then it was a mistake for him to do that, and of course, he needs to apologize. If Taufik is smart, he should know by now the only way to change PBSI is to climb to the top and take over Icuk's job. Otherwise, there is really nothing he can do to make a difference by mis-behaving.

7. badminfreak

badminfreak Regular Member

I wish I still lived in China... I live in UK
    I agree with the idea that he has plenty of money already because if he strongly believes that he is going to win the YAE and other tournaments he's going to get more money anyway. So what's the point on complaining, only 50% off isn't much. :eek: He should control his attitude, if his temper is always like that I feel sorry for his girlfriend.

8. Solarwind

Solarwind Regular Member

sys admin
    Quit crying and move on

IMO, $45K for a company like Yonex is nothing. A drop in the bucket. Miserly in fact. They, and other sponsors in the badminton industry have an obligation to come up with larger purses, more investment in venues/clubs and training/develoment. Investing in their future by providing opportunities for more players, and the incentive of larger possible winnings. Take a look at the prize money for golf and tennis events and compare this to *any* badminton tournament. I am not saying that money is the only reason that people play this game, just that it is one facet that is proportionally askew to other professional sports.

Whoever manges the legal aspects of Taufiks' career is at fault for not pointing the 50-50 split. TH should also be man enough to accept the situation and move on, even if that means leaving the team. I doubt he would have any trouble finding a spot on another team. Chalk the 50% split up to 'living and learning'. Then fire the legal advisor. Someone made the point that TH is already wealthy enough form his career compared to other countrymen. I do not walk away from 50% of my monthly salary because I am better off than others in my country. But I do pay my share of taxes (too much).

Apoligies for the lenghty post.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the 45k$ is a bonus on top of $$$ sponsorship. YOnex give bonus to all yonex sponsored team/country that do well in olympic, WC, AE, etc. Anymore bonus $ mean the armortec will cost 500$. :p By stipulating a 50/50 split, yonex is recognizing efforts by the coaches/badminton associations as well.

#29 cooler, Feb 18, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  10. Solarwind

Solarwind Regular Member

sys admin
    Cold and hungry coaches

You make is sound as if the coaches sleep outside in the cold rain with their bellies empty every night. :crying:

If the price of the latest greatest line of rackets goes through the roof I doubt it would be because of the change in sponsorship money. R and D costs a great deal these days. Multiply that across the spectrum of products they offer. It just seems they could afford to invest in the next generations of players.

"2001 marked the 55th anniversary of the founding of the Yoneyama Company. Today, Yonex is a successful global company with its corporate headquarters located in Tokyo, Japan. Subsidiary companies operate around the world including the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Yonex continues to be driven to produce the most technologically advanced sports equipment to benefit and enable players at every level to play their sport at a higher level."
    http://www.yonex.com/company5.cfm

How expensive is realestate in Tokyo these days? :)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    we know, kwun had snapped some pics of yonex HQ. Convinced me that yonex does R & D in that place LOL.

I didnt say INA coaches are poor. In fact, most of badminton funding goes to pbsi, administration, and coaches. They are well fed, win or lose.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

See the new thread "Where are they now" if anyone wants to know what are some of the ex-Indonesian "greats" are doing now..:).

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

14. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Probably noone expected taufik to win the olympics thats why theers so much confusion now..

15. extremepower

extremepower Regular Member

Help badminton players to enjoy badminton and affo
    problems

I met up with Hariyanto Arbi yesterday with his flypower partner. They said this is a normal thingy. Even msian players have problem with coaches....He's trying to push the flypower shoes with Fung Permadi.

#35 extremepower, Feb 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  16. capiozz

capiozz Regular Member

hmm tough call but if it;s in the policy for years then they should change the policy. i mean, yeah some credits should go to the badminton association afterall, they paid to train these players and actually they picked him since young and provide him the training before he gets to make a name for himself.
    i wont mind to share some with the association to be honest. afterall, i still have the 50 % myself the rest MUST make sure they will use it properly like training for younger players.

17. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

While this may make Taufik seem greedy badminton players dont get very much money. I would be pissed off too! Badminton players need to get looked after better finacially. Hopefully on day we get to see Taufik rolling down in a brand new lamburghini.

18. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Hey, you're Arbi's friend?? :eek: