Which Bravesword - doubles back court player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Raph, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Raph

Raph Regular Member

I'm looking for a new racket since I broke my last backup a few weeks ago (VT80, which was a tad too much racket for me in a doubles situation, I would tire quick).

I'm a 32 year old intermediate to advanced player who plays regular (3 times a week) pick up games. Many of my opponents or teamates are perpetual intermediate-beginners, but we have also coaches and young strong provincial level players a few times a month. I play mainly backcourt when I'm with a weaker teamate, but I try to mix it up and try to play the front more when possible. I put a lot of emphasis on the return of serve, smash and defense and need a racket that has good power, but also good maneuvrability. I do not play singles anymore due to back issues. We play with plastic shuttles due to cost.

My curent racket is a 4u TK6000 and altough I really like it, I feel it's a bit whippy and too flexy for me. I also would like a stiffer shaft and more weight. I don't mind a 3u around the net playing in front.

I was looking at the Bravesword line, altough I'm open to more ideas from Victor, but I do not know which racket would suit me best from the line up. There's not really a way to try these rackets around here. What really attracts me is the sword frame and racket speed which would help in the defense and front court play. I have played with even balanced rackets before (Nanospeed, nanoray from yonex) and liked them just fine. I can easily get BS09, BS10, BS12, BS15 and BSLYD.

Thank you !

2. hazariel

hazariel Regular Member

Bs12 blue 3u but the shaft is flexible for me, yonex zf2 4u is the best i guess for your characteristic

3. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    BS12 is the gold standard for doubles when it comes to Victor rackets, so you can't go wrong with it. People have complained that the BS12's frame is a little too soft, so if you like stiff rackets you can try the BS11. If you want stiffer, there's the BS10. But at that point you should consider a JS10.

KingLCW and yf19-sama like this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If you want a stiff shaft, then the BS12 is clearly the wrong choice. If you want stiff and head heavy, then either go with the TK9000 out maybe a ZF2 (for doubles in 4U). But since your VT80 was already too heavy for you, I doubt that these two will really make you happy.

If you want stiff and fast fast fast, then you will love the JS10.

Neurologik likes this.
  5. Raph

Raph Regular Member

Does the JS10 have the same speed (or comparable) to the Bravesword ?

6. hazariel

hazariel Regular Member

You want a stiffer shaft and more weight than tk6000, you put a lot emphasis on return of serve, smash, and defense, and also you want a racket with a good speed.

Well you cant have it all :)

Headlight : Js10 is very quick, small frame, very stiff, the best for modern double. Js10 imho makes your shot weaker, if you like to smash a lot, you will hurt your elbow trying to add punch in your shot. Try to get the 3u version

Even balance : bs10 and bs12. Not so stiff, more powerful than js10, easy to use, Bigger frame than js10. Try to get 3u if you like to smash

Headheavy : zf2 4u. Very stiff, packs a very good punch yet light enough for double play, small frame. IMHO zf2 is the closest one to your specs. Mind you, smaller frame is harder to use.

Nget Kharr likes this.
  7. Raph

Raph Regular Member

I know I can't have it all (but it would nice nonetheless ;)).

I would say that in order of preference: quick > stiff > ease of use > brute force. At the level I'm at, with the games I play and with the areas of the game I want to concentrate/improve on, I think the JS10 might prove too much racket for me if it's that demanding and I'm not that gung ho on having a head heavy monster for power. I have used the zf2 and it felt weird to me and not in a good way. It's hard to describe, but it felt solid but at the same time unpredictable. My skills are maybe not up to par with the samller frame and a thus smaller sweetspot.

What I like about the TK6000 is that it's basically plug and play. It's a very easy racket to use, but it sometimes leave me wanting for more precision at the net or on rushes/kills due to it's "bendy" nature, which is why I want a quicker/stiffer racket.

8. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Get the JS10. If you can handle the stiffness of the VT80, you can certainly handle the JS10's stiffness.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

I feel you pain, because I was in the same boat as you looking for a fast frame stiff but not too stiff racket that is slightly head heavy but not too head heavy.

Couldn't find it in Victor nor Yonex.

Perhaps the JS12 to come on August?

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I can totally second this. If you didn't feel the VT80 to be too stiff for you, than there is not reason why you should be scared of the JS10 since it plays equally stiff. And if you go by your priorities "quick > stiff > ease of use > brute force", the JS10 seems to be made for you.

But as always - it would be best if you could test it before you actually order it. Maybe you have a clubmate who owns a JS10 already and who would let you do a quick testdrive with it?

Nam-Hoon Boots likes this.
  11. Raph

Raph Regular Member

Yonex is still the undisputed king up here, I'm the only guy who doesn't play Yonex, but I'll check if there's a way to demo the JS10. I know there's place that rents out a JS9, but the specs seem to differ a lot.

I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy it without trying.

12. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

My recommendation for Victor is Tk9k, JS10 is another alternative.

13. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

since you "I can easily get BS09, BS10, BS12, BS15 and BSLYD.".........try each of them a game or two..........everyone has their own peference for feel.

14. vile10

vile10 Regular Member

BS12, I like LYD old version too

15. Japrax7

Japrax7 Regular Member

Working at a Great Company
    Give a try BS 11, it's such a powerful racket in BS lines up.

16. khoai

khoai Regular Member

You don't want to be in the back using a BS12 unless you have plenty of power already. Slightly head heavy ones such as BS-LYD and BS15 would give you some extra oomph and be not that much slower for front court. BS-LYD is similarly stiff but BS15 is noticeably stiffer with smaller head. If you don't usually mishit a lot, it should be ok.

#16 khoai, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  17. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that I should help. :)

I played with BS10 since it was released and got experience with BS09 and BS12 as well. Actually I from my loved BS10 to JS10, because I wanted something which is easier available across Europe.

FME and for me the BS12 and BS09 worked limited and not very good overhead and in quick play. I don't do large swings. I have a compact swing and use alot my finger and pronation. I found it difficult to produce power shots with these rackets. I felt that they lacked in control and punch for me. Take this with a pinch of salt, because I owned at the moment I played with them 3 BS10.

IMO the BS10 is the cream If you have a vario offensiv game. You can hammer with it, but could also play at fast pace and counter attack and defend very well. It's a great allrounder with offensive tendencies.

The BS12 is very biased by the many professional players, but they don't use the commercial one. So also take this with a pinch of salt. You should get your hands on the rackets and decide on your own. BS12 should fit many players but will lack in Oompf. The 3/4 BS10 is a good choice. I played with the 3/5 and never regret. I runned it for several years at high tension, so you won't get any soft frame. IMO the BS10 is the best choice. It's made in Taiwan and has better quality compared to most other BS.

18. Raph

Raph Regular Member

I'm meeting someone who is selling various Bravesword, I'll ask if I can test drive them a bit, but at the price he's selling, I might just buy a few without playing with them. He has a BS10. I need a backup to finish the season and the JS10 is backordered at all major canadianshops I've looked.

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Meeting someone sounds like a drug deal instead of a reputable seller. I would never buy several rackets blind. Your connection also sounds like he/she is selling them used, so you can make a bad deal, if you need to resell some of them.

20. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Bs11, Bs LHI and JS10 sound like they would suit you. I like the JS8PS too but others don't seem to like it as much so it may not suit you. BS10 is a good racket but too extreme for a lot of people including me.