What racket to buy?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by vigorousyg, Apr 18, 2016.

1. vigorousyg

vigorousyg New Member

Hey guys, I'm currently a semi-new player, I know a lot of things from watching Badminton and I play a lot on the weekends. I'm looking for a new racket/racquet, and I'm currently using the Yonex Muscle Power 7. I like the lightness of it but I want something that generates a powerful smash and it's easy to control the shuttle with. I don't have a budget point, which racket should I buy? I'm open to any suggestions/

2. hazariel

hazariel Regular Member

Duora 10, victor tk 9000

3. bunge1980

bunge1980 Regular Member

Postman
    As your fairly new I would start with maybe voltric 7 as it is a lovely racket.
    lightweight and head heavy and mid range a good all rounder in my opinion.

4. vile10

vile10 Regular Member

if budget's not an issue then duora10

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Head heavy: Volrtic 7, Voltric 70 or TK6000. Stay away from the TK9000 or ZF2 since they are most probably too stiff and hence a bit too demanding
    Even balanced: Arc11 or Duora10 (if you don't mind the 2-sided concept), BS12 or Li-Ning N50-III

In general, test as many rackets as possible (from clubmates or test rackets from a shop if available) before you make your decision. And remember: The racket chooses you! :)

zx1010110 and shaz007 like this.
  6. Tien

Tien Regular Member

I am using D10. Fantastic racket. Easy to use and it is not too stiff. Good start. Price is higher than others but at least you don't have to think about an upgrade in a long while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. vigorousyg

vigorousyg New Member

its pretty hard to test the rackets from where i come from, the badminton club/place I go to has their rackets locked up and not stringed yet... but I don't understand what you mean about the duora 10 2 sided concept.. I'm pretty new to racquets and the game.. can you please explain head heavy and all that?

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

There is a lot you can search on the forum on rackets and on terms such as head-heavy.

If you are fairly new to the game, it seems silly to recommend the newest and most expensive rackets like Duora. There is nothing wrong with an expensive racket, but one has to ignore the hype that "new technologies" can substitute for training and experience.

My advice is try a few friends' rackets and see what you like from those. If you don't find your dream racket, at least you may have a bit more idea what characteristics you like. For example, stiff shaft versus flexible; weight balance towards the head [head-heavy]versus more towards the handle [head-light].

On you've purchased your new weapon, remember to spare a few dollars for coaching... The best bang-for-buck for improving your game. Have fun & Good luck!

Oldhand and s_mair like this.
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

All Douras have an asymmetric frame profile:
    [​IMG]

Which basically means that the rackets is supposed to play and feel differently depending on the side you hit the shuttle with. So if you want to use that effect consistently, you have to be sure that you are not spinning your racket during rallies.

From your post I take it that you are pretty much a total and utter beginner when it comes to racket specs and technologies and that makes me fully agree to Figet's latest post. First of all, you need to find out in general, which type of racket suits you (which balace? which stiffness?) and so take every chance to test as many rackets as possible from your friends or clubmates and see if you find one which feels good. Don't look a the budget in the first place. There is no correlation between its price tag and how the racket performs in your hand when you are playing with it when you are in the "beginner stage".

And let's be honest - your Muscle Power 7 is not a bad racket at all and I guarantee you that it will not be the limiting factor in your game for a looong time. It's even balanced and medium stiff and should be a very good basis from which you can develop your game and technique. So again as Fidget has suggested - go and spend the money on a couple of coaching lessons instead. This will help you gain power and control in your shots a huge lot more than a new racket.

#9 s_mair, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  10. vigorousyg

vigorousyg New Member

I see, I'm going to try to do lessons and everything.. I would say I'm a total beginner about the technology, the rackets and everything like that so I don't know what balance, stiffness, string, and all that. Thank you :)