2016 OUE Singapore Open Superseries : SEMI FINALS(16th April)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open/ Singapore Open/ China Masters 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2016.
  1. Lin Dan

69.2%
  2. Soni Dwi Kuncoro

30.8%
  1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid it's little to do with LCW's sportsmanship. He hasn't been able to win a single big title, could only console himself with all the others winning as many as possible. Still, and now, he wants nothing more than to grab one major, most coveted prize before he's forced to call it a day as age catches up. That's the harsh reality of professional sports.

Both Lin Dan and Chen Long know full well not to win the battle but lose the war.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I guess it depends on how you define sportsmanship. For me a big part of sportsmanship is always giving your best and not disrespecting your opponents by hoping to win matches on sheer reputation or winning by only playing 70%.

Not playing to your best is against the rules and will/should be punished like at the Olympics 2012. The case at the last Olympics was a very obvious one, but we've seen similar behavior to a lesser extend from others players and I'm not talking about throwing a set to conserve energy for a decider here.

XoXoXo and jma97 like this.
  3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

For some reason in badminton, contrary to tennis, players tend to go to almost all tourneys (SS). It is too much for their bodies, so they use all kinds of tactic to preserve themselves. I would prefer that they would go to less tourneys but give it all when they play.

4. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Regular Member

Lin Dan losing against SDK right before the Olympics, same as in 2012...another gold medal in Rio confirmed? ;)

visor likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, that's one of the ways. You simply can't be at your best in every tourney, worse when you play too many or overreach yourself. Or when unforeseen circumstances arise, you have to make the necessary adjustments and not force yourself to stick to the original plans. Overall strategy, just as much as tactics, are part of the game. As Sun Tzu taught, know yourself, know your enemy, fight a hundred battles, win a hundred victories. Even in physical sports, it's not all about brawn but also brains.

Btw, we are not at all talking about doing anything against the rules, the London Olympic WD fiasco is an entirely different matter, a most unfortunate incident for which many factors come into play, and the various parties have their share of blame. Let's not flog a dead horse here.

Oldhand likes this.
  6. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    Congrats SDK! Getting to the final from QF and beating LD along the way is not an easy feat and we should not take the credit away from him.

XoXoXo and Oldhand like this.
  7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I'm thinking LD will probably turn it on 100% at the Olympics. Out of nowhere, he wins AE, the most prestigious individual tournament of the year, not counting the Olympics (Thomas Cup is team event, not individual). The difference is, LD is old now so he tends to play defensive badminton in large spurts until he is down a lot of points, forcing him to play more aggressive. I think LD hopes he can beat the opponent defensively so that he can save his stamina for the next set or even the opponent the next day. Set 1 against Sony is an example of defensive LD. 2008 LD could play aggressive all day but not 2016 LD.

As for Chen Long, he is out of form for whatever reason. I'm not so sure Chen Long can turn it on 100%. But he is insurance in case LD flops out of the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if LD lost in the earlier rounds at Olympics because of his defensive style.

visor, Oldhand and kwun like this.
  8. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

My bet is still on lin dan and chen long.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Haha, you'll never know how much Sony's wife cares! :cool:

And well done, nokh88 and cury78 for your bold and successful efforts! ;)

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A SUCCESSFUL MAN HAS A SUPPORTIVE AND UNDERSTANDING WIFE BEHIND HIM!

He was not expected to win. Even our learned BC members gave him only 30% chance.

But Sony Kuncoro believes in himself. He knows his enemy. He knows the environment.
    But best of all he knows that his wife and coach will always be behind him, to support him, to give him encouragement.
    So despite facing great odds and especially against the hot favourite Super Dan, he banished all negative thoughts and gave his all.
    In the end he succeeded and mission accomplished.

Indeed he now believes as ever before that "Nothing is Impossible" as he sank into the open arms of his waiting wife in joyful embrace.

What a beautiful sight! :)

IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3387.JPG IMG_3389.JPG IMG_3390.JPG IMG_3391.JPG IMG_3392.JPG IMG_3393.JPG IMG_3394.JPG IMG_3395.JPG IMG_3397.JPG

#590 Loh, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    XoXoXo, soulpx, Maurice MJC and 6 others like this.
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    excellent photos, Loh!!

Loh likes this.
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some of us have to eat our own socks. me included. ;)

XoXoXo, soulpx, emrebelezoglu and 3 others like this.
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    MINI BC GATHERING AT OLD AIRPORT RD FOOD CENTRE

The semi finals ended just in time for us to assemble and adjourn to our venue by MRT (train) two stops away for a small bite and chit chat.

Abedeng supplied satay and pjswift bought the healthy assorted fruits to balance our diet.

Naturally part of our conversation was centred on how Sony managed to beat LD. They were old warriors of the same era and differed marginally in their age. The other was on catching up on news of our BC friends and abedeng was given an update on the Singapore sports, education and political scenes. Hcyong, also a Malaysian, has been a resident here for a long time and contributed to the conversation, while Singaporean pjswift shared some of her views.

Before we knew it, it was already past 11 pm and we hurried to the nearest MRT station so as not to miss the last train.

IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3402.JPG

emrebelezoglu, nokh88, renbo and 3 others like this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Super Dan is destined not to have won the "coveted" Singapore Open title in his illustrious career for whatever reason.
    Must have been more difficult for him to do so than the Olympics somehow! :rolleyes:

emrebelezoglu likes this.
  15. racoen_ndonyo

racoen_ndonyo Regular Member

kuli
    Hey Justin, I've read all post at this thread. Why you don't admit that SDK play better than LD today, even just a post to congrats Sony you did not posted it. Just many excuses from you bout the loses from your Idol, which is just your theory if not be spoken to "your delusional".

Even, the kid from India, the Fox, who's The Naruto generation, did it.

Just do it, Justin, even we lose today, shake your hands opponent.

16. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Lin Dan fails to win the Singapore Open again! It's not as big a monkey on his back as the Malaysia Open though (with multiple finals and multiple match points, yet still losing), but it's still rather interesting.

I think it's really disrespectful to Lin Dan's opponents (and actually to Lin Dan himself) that absolutely no or very little credit is given to them when they defeat him. You think Lin Dan likes it that he can't win the Malaysia or Singapore Open titles?

The fact is that SDK played better today. Even in general, the gap has closed in MS. Just admit it. How many times do multiple major winners like LD and CL have to lose for people to realise that?

Good of other posters above to recognise this "worshipping" phenomenon too. That's what happens when one has "blind faith". No matter the facts or evidence in front of you, you will simply dismiss them and find one excuse after another. "Delusion" is an understatement. Note that I'm attacking the ideas, not the people making/posting them.

Anyway, congratulations to SDK - back to back wins against LD now! LCW couldn't do that.

Strong era.

udin_udik, XoXoXo, jma97 and 7 others like this.
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I don't think we need to confront anybody for their opinion. if you think he is making excuses so be it. everyone has their opinion, and not everyone will agree with it. that's just life.

I still need to watch the match replay as I had a long day and only managed to stay awake for the start of the Ratchanok match. I will watch it with open mind.

emrebelezoglu and Loh like this.
  18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I've always believed that SDK could have been one of the greats, if not for multiple injuries etc. It would have made the last era much more interesting.

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

SDK had everything against him, and yet he still emerged victorious. He's coming back from injury and was playing his 6th match in five days (LD was only playing his 4th match in four days, and had won his three previous matches in relatively quick straight setters). It was SDK's fourth three setter in a row. He has beaten some very good players too, including Sai Praneeth (the Indian who recently knocked out LCW in straight sets in the All England I think), Anthony Ginting (up and coming Indo talent and touted to be future world number one, although I think Jonatan Christie is much better), Sho Sasaki, and WZM.

What a great performance by SDK. Does he have enough left in the tank to take out SWH in the final?

XoXoXo, Loh, emrebelezoglu and 2 others like this.
  20. racoen_ndonyo

racoen_ndonyo Regular Member

kuli
    Yeah, youre right uncle :)

I just want to give him a little advice.

Just imagine what the feeling and thought of SDK (even LD) if they read what he has wrote at this thread.

emrebelezoglu and nokh88 like this.