Has anyone repaired a snapped shaft?

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by DuckFeet, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    One thing about freak accidents .... they can happen. I'll mention the statistic that more people die falling off toilets than are killed by Great White Sharks. But if Steven Spielberg made a film about falling off toilets as his second film, we wouldn't have had Jurassic Park :)

visor likes this.
  2. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    dinosaur_badminton_by_paul281f.jpg

Found this with a Google search.

kwun likes this.
  3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I don't know how to respond to that. Awesome?
    I've played some more wall-y, and done some more torsion/bending tests with my hands, no signs of cracking. I suppose the real acid test would be to lend the racquet to my opponent, so I'll do that.

So far that's ONE report of a snapped shaft being fatal. I read about a racquet separating at the shaft - no reports of any injury. I also let go of a racquet once when playing (don't ask) and no injury, although the other guy did some nice face defence with his racquet as mine cartwheeled across the floor. SO the odds are good at least.

4. jak nam

jak nam Regular Member

really too bad, i do not have the humour some of you possess, i could have used that when i last saw that guy's brother some twelve years ago. anyways, carry on...

5. alferd

alferd New Member

i smapped my shaft too without knowing the reason. care to enlighten me?

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Round 2 is here. Pictures to follow but there's apparently an inner and outer core to the shaft. The outer is in pretty bad shape. Unsure if the inner has a longitudinal crack, and whether to remove the outer to investigate or just repair. And epoxy or gorrilla glue. I think epoxy.

Jetspeed 9. Destined to be a very nice 3/4 length junior racquet I feel.

7. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    So what kwun did a long time ago, cut the shaft up and make pens.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    No inner and outer core, just shredded carbon. My daughter loves the colour so I'm cutting it down to a shorter shaft, add new handle. Sorted.

s_mair likes this.
  9. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    "That's just crazy enough to work" is a real thing right?

[​IMG]

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Update: I tried to buy Frankenrev back to be on the safe side. Owner said no. I showed him how it was flexing too much around the 'fix' and to let me torsion test. No. So i begged he not play with it. No. In sort, the screw snapped. Luckily he smashed the head on the floor, no one was hurt. The owner was happy with the amount of extra court time he got with the fixed racquet. Me, not so much.

The JETSWORD used a thinner screw (40x4mm) so that project will not see court time. I cant seem to separate the fecker though and its not even close to full cure time. I'm looking for carbon rods in place of the screw before I continue testing.

11. Slade

Slade Regular Member

A source for carbon rods might be broken fishing rods. They have a gradual taper so you could find a section that fits inside your racket. The metal screw creates a hard point, a stress riser, which concentrates the stress at one point. I'd also sand down the outside of the shaft beyond either side of the break, and use a thin epoxy resin and carbon fiber cloth or carbon fiber strands, to wrap the shaft with, tapering it down on the ends. Epoxy resin will allow more flex than epoxy putty such as JB Weld, and will also soak into the fibers better.

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Nice info thanks. The screws were too brittle and snapped. I got some 3mm and 4mm rods from ebay for peanuts.

I used jb weld but think gorrilla glue to join carbon will be preferable. If I can source some carbon wrap I'll have to get some.

@Slade needs a donor racquet to 'test' ;)

13. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I do :D

Epoxy resin would be superior to Gorilla glue IMO. Rough up the bonding surfaces with coarse sandpaper to give them some "tooth" for the resin to grab onto. You can get some of those 2 part syringes at the hardware store, get the 30 minute type so you have enough working time, and make sure it's clear resin, not putty or gel.

[​IMG]

14. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I should point out that Gorilla Glue also has their own brand of 2 part epoxy, but that's not the same as their original single part Gorilla Glue which is polyurethane based.