RTTO §3.5.3 - Calling "out" to partner

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by phihag, Mar 13, 2016.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I remember being told in my umpire's course that this rule is ignored at a regional and national level. However, watching any match at any level, I see plenty of players calling "out" to their partners without so much as being scolded by the umpire, let a lone faulted.

How come this rule is included in the RTTO then? Is it a relic of another rule? Have you ever seen it applied?

2. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Isn't the meaning of the rule that you can not distract your opponents with it?

Calling out something before the oppoent is about to make a shout, could surely distract the opponent.

I have never heard that there is a rule against distracting your own partner, but who would want to do that anyway. :D

3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Don't think it's a distraction to shout "out" to your partner as long as it is before shuttle landed. But calling a fault by a player during a rally should not be allowed.

However I could never understand what does "no shot" even means... Umpires told me it's an old thing... :) Can someone please explain?

4. stradrider

Ah! Found another thread about "no shot"
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/81305-Calling-No-Shot

It's kind of a very very old rule/courtesy thing, strangely still practiced in some clubs. It was considered a fault or some kind of an honorable thing to give up a point if you hit a frame. People than call "no shot".

We know that by modern rules it is perfectly fine to hit with any part of the racket, so "no shot" is not valid today. :)

5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Sorry, looks like I snipped too much context. This is a paragraph dealing with calling to the player's partner.

6. stradrider

May be paragraph for general shouting? :) Ok to shout to your partner, not ok to your opponent or call fault?

7. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Yes I understood that. I was just surprised. All double players are encouraged from a young age to communicate with the partner during the rally, right? Saying things like "yours", "mine", "out", "go go go" and what not. So I am just surprised to hear that that would officially be against the rules?

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

This rule, is about calling a shot out before your opponent hits a shot, or basically calling a fault, thus distracting the opponent when it should be the umpire's call.

Let's say we're playing a doubles match, and it seems to me that it hit off your partner's racket first before you hit the shuttle and I call out FAULT and stop the rally with an umpire present. I lose the point for distracting my opponent. That is what that rule is meant for.

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

While that would make a lot of sense, that seems to clash with the first sentence of the paragraph, which explicitly states the opposite:

Emphasis mine. The German version even lists "Don't hit [the shuttle]", "fault", "out", with the first and third one being shouts commonly used to indicate a partner should leave the shuttle.

10. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    Calling out to your partner before they are about to hit a shot is fine. Calling "no shot" or "fault" refers to calling out for your opponents, or a line judge, not your partner. For instance is you call out or make an out sign prior to a line judge calling it you can influence the line judge's call and this is not allowed.

11. stradrider

Rule say (shortened) - "shouting to partner shall not be regarded as distracting", right? That means it's ok? ;)

I would guess that "don't hit" is just a translating of "no shot" which I just discovered is an old outdated English custom of calling a fault when an opponent hits the frame instead of string. It's not the same thing as saying "don't hit" to your partner.

#11 stradrider, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  12. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Not quite:

Laws §13.4.5: Shouting is bad.
    First sentence RTTO 3.5.4: Shouting to a partner can sometimes be allowed.
    Second sentence RTTO 3.5.4: But shouting "fault" or "no shot" is always a distraction.

I'll see whether I can effect a change in the German translation.

#12 phihag, Mar 15, 2016
  13. stradrider

I think it's about distraction, not shouting.
    Rule 13.4.5: "if player deliberately distracts an opponent by shouting or making gestures".
    RTTO3.5.3: "Shouting to a partner about to hit a shuttle is not necessary a distraction".

I read it as, if you shout "out" or something similar to your partner about to hit a shuttle, it's ok as long as it is not distracting the opponents. The question is, when it is considered a distraction? My understanding - when it's really loud and disturbing, but otherwise it should be ok.

14. stradrider

Regarding "no shot". It's definitely not when you shout "out" to your partner.

Here is another explanation:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-rule-for-playing-badminton

#14 stradrider, Mar 15, 2016
  15. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

What I imply that sentence to mean is, when you shout OUT for example, to your partner, it is not distraction (whether he hits the shuttle or not). But if you say FAULT to your partner, then it's a distraction. If your partner in that case, ends up not hitting the shuttle, they are faulted because they stopped the rally, not the umpire [unless the umpire has seen and called a fault beforehand], or if your partner does hit the shuttle, and it goes to the other side, your opponent will get confused because you are not supposed to be calling any faults, the umpire is.

Hm, I can imagine this all in my head well but it just seems the words I'm typing may still sound confusing. I've never read the German version or any version stating don't hit the shuttle or out as words of distraction. But the rule was meant for players stopping a rally by basically calling a fault on their own and not the umpire.

16. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I agree with CantSmashThis. That technical rule was meant to stop players from shouting "Out", "Fault", (i.e. key phrases used by the officials) to prevent distraction. It's okay to shout "leave it" to partner but not "Out". The reason for this is that if your partner hits the shot, your opponents might not react to it because they have already heard "Out" or "Fault" and could potentially have stop playing the rally.

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    In that case the rules need to be clear on which words are off limits ......

The fact that umpires seem to allow communication between partners using whatever words they want seems to imply that the rule does not apply for in-pair communication.

18. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    It is okay if you shout something like 'out', 'leave', 'mine' 'in', 'right', 'short' etc. while you or your partner is attempting a return. In this case if at all you are distracting anyone, it is your own partner.

But any kind of shouting by you while opponent is attempting a return is distraction and can be considered as fault.

19. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    A bit off topic but what if your partner is at the back and about to play a shot but the opponent has crept into the net area, and you yell "front," or something similar to warn them that they're waiting for a drop... is that also ok?

20. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The first sentence of §3.5.3, the actual paragraph we're discussing here, explicitly allows this, so a fat yes.