Good focus on fast exchanges but loss of focus during slow pace game (MD)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Neurologik, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Neurologik

Neurologik Regular Member

research
    Hi all,

Looking for advices.

Here is my problem:
    Playing intermediate/advanced level MD games I noticed that I am quick and hyperfocused on fast drives, fast attack/defense switches during a point but if the other team start playing slow paced placement shots for more that 3-4 exchange I start loosing my focus and not being ready as I should to receive with anticipation the next shot (even more if they start focusing their play on my partner).

Would you guys have some tips to help me stay 110% in the game during these specific conditions :confused:

Maybe some drills or some mental mentra :)

Thanks !

#1 Neurologik, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Non-scoring attacking play. Not sure if this is the proper way to call it but;

When they place the shuttle high and deep in a back corner it is usually not smart to go full on attack, because you will be in a bad position afterwards. What you can do is play a dropshot, smash or attacking clear not meant to score, just meant to force them to play another high shot, and hopefully less accurate this time, which gives you the opportunity to go full speed attack again.

3. JamesP

JamesP Regular Member

Here's a tip I learned a long time ago. Watch the bird .. from coming off their racket to reaching your racket. It sounds simple but a lot of badminton is a reaction game and shots become almost automatic but if you concentrate on watching the bird end to end then it will force you to concentrate.

4. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

Lol, I have this problem too a bit. I find I play better against better players. Probably cuz I know I can slack a bit against weaker players.

5. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    That is a universal problem in club games where your intention is not to win every point as fast as you can be-but to enjoy the game. We all tend to play at much less pace when the opponent is slow. No point in killing the game in few minutes and to start another game with the same opponents.

And as you slow down, your opponents start playing better shots and that catch you off guard. You try to change the pace all of a sudden which might not work and end up making too many mistakes and loose the game.

We all play our best when our body & mind are fully charged. A better way to cope with slow games would be, you play against yourself. Set targets like how much lead you should have on critical points-say 10, 15 & 20. If you are not meeting your own targets, up the pace till you meet them. Still you can not, accept that your judgement about opponents were wrong-they are better than what you think & play better.

6. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    repeat post deleted

7. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Actually, this could a be a variation to the play. By slowing things down, it could kill the match. Do consider it as a strategy. If you have problem with slow shots and if your opponent knows about it it can an dis-advantage. Many years ago, I played against a pair of veteran, I think one of them was a former national player. The match was considered lob-sided given the age gap between us and them. Sadly to say, we lost both games. We could not could with the slow pace game which they played. Whenever we pushed for it, they would slow down the pace of the game and we lost our patient and eventually lost the whole game.
    However, for you case, I think you really need to stay composed. This is crucial especially when the match is point for point type and any mistake could means loosing the game. For you, it is even not the case. What if it happen, do you have this problem? You have to work on it as this often happen even on international scene. as I recall this year, can't recall what match it was, in a rubber game, team A was leading at 19 with big lead to eventually lost it at 22-20

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Just say it's the Adcocks losing agisnt Nielsen-Pedersn

I say we must vary our mood, it's just like a song, there are parts that are fast , middle and slow paced. But usually the youth mood gets better and makes us impatient and just want to play full fast mode from start to finish.