Match Improvements For TV

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tipper1, Mar 11, 2016.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    I'm a huge badminton fan but it frustrates me at times watching some matches on TV.
    There has been discussion on changing the scoring system again for the purposes of TV but i think they could try a couple of things currently to help TV audiences.

One I think the delays between points are becoming crazy. If you look back at old matches players just got on with the next point.
    Now pkayers are walking around the court and are too slow to change shuttle.
    Id prefer to see a rule that only the server can request a change of shuttle or the receiver must request a change immediately on the shuttle hitting the floor. Very often there is nothing wrong with the shuttle and it's a mind/delay tactic which has no benefit to any player.

Secondly id recommend that the server dictates the speed of the next point. Tennis had to introduce it as that too was having its problems but if the server s ready to serve and the receiver is delaying it allows the umpire to deal with it more sternly.
    Ultimately it's in the players best interest to make the game as appealing as possible.

Lastly, we have one of the fastest, most powerful games in the world but it's not highlighted enough.
    Tennis did so well in introducing a serve speed gun and constantly showed the TV public the power involved in the game. Power and speed brings audiences and sponsors, badminton needs to do more of it. The power of the hits and speed and agility of the players must be promoted as the greater public view badminton as a lazy/easy/fun for the family pastime.

2. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Yes, some players do take their time before being ready to start the next point but few get a warning from the umpire. It also depends on the previous rally - if it's been a particularly long one I believe the players are given a discretionary time for recovery.

As for the current scoring system to 21 points, I'm not in favour. Rally points are fine but I believe matches of 5 games to 13 or 15 points is preferable.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tennis has the most confusing scoring system in the world. what the heck? 15->30->40.. and what's after 40? it is so stupid and confusing.

and yet, no one complains about it. it is not the scoring system, that's for sure.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Tennis used to be quite aristocratic, and aristocrats like to have to weird custom so to be distinguished and bound by history (so new comers won't get in so easily.
    Badminton I think also had this pedigree but lost it on the way. It became a very popular sport (popular as a social class), thus more rational.

5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The walking around the court between points is even worse in tennis. But watchers get used and enjoy this pace.
    I think in badminton what is missing is better tv coverage. We don't see enough of the players and the cities they visits. The cameras are too far and to much above the court, and between points there is time for fantastic replays, with different angles and speed, but we have almost nothing of it.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

We can note that during the matches, players not on court are for a significant part in one section of the arena devoted to them, watching the match. I think TV should go there and ask them their opinion on what's happening. Just an example of what could be done between points.

7. Dias09

Dias09 Regular Member

Yes, the delay between points, along with the camera angle is quite frustrating. But, the camera has been improving in quality, and angle recently. So that's good.

8. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Agreed that the delay between points is getting to be an issue.
    Also, the screams from some players after a point is won is very off putting in my opinion, and has the unfortunate side effect of almost making me instantly dislike them.
    Showing shuttle speeds would be a welcome addition as mentioned above.
    The biggest TV issue for me is the camera angle. It gives no real sense of the power that's on show and while we all here know what's going on, non players I would imagine can look at it and think, yeah looks real slow paced and easy this. They should (at least occasionally) show the camera angle from the same view point as the umpire, and this would give you a more real sense of the speed, accuracy and ground covered by the players.

9. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

I think the opposite, badminton should slow down and take more time between points. A match last between 30 mins and a hour. Tennis far far longer. This allows for better replays, explanations, camera angles and builds up tension, also allows more adverts. The dumbed down commentrys are ridiculous and patronizing. Finals must be in one court only to avoid distractions. Badminton is not tennis, it should not emulate it but what sells sport is what happens of it. Only Lin Dan plays to this coverage, we need to see better build up to games more rivalrys not just we will rock you on loud speakers. Better and multiple camera angles it a must. Stats sell sports, we must convey calories burnt, km covered speed of shots and type of shots with success rates. Time to come out of the dark ages, need youtubes, magazine's and free tv coverages. Thank god for youtubes coverage, uk badminton tv is non existent, nobody who plays knows les than four players and everybody know hundreds of tennis players.

#9 eelvis, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016