Pausing in the middle of a string job

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ryeung, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I wonder what effect this will have. Now I am not talking about leaving the string clamped and walking away. But more in line with finishing the mains and tying off. Then having to leave it for 3 hours or so before coming back to it. I would never do this for higher tensions but what about for say 25 lbs or less. Other than the tensioned string will relax ever so slightly before the crosses get done, would there really be any noticeable difference? I have never stopped in the middle of a job but there has been the odd time that it would have been convenient. Thoughts?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    That sounds like a terrible practice. It's begging for a warped racket.

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I have to agree with Charlie all the way. I learned a very hard lesson on one of the very first rackets I ever strung (when it took me 1-1.5 hours to string): completed the mains, went to eat out for dinner, came back to complete crosses and racket snapped.

NEVER do it. Once you start a racket, finish it (it's easier now that I average 30 min per racket).

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I once paused for 20 minutes (13 kg, my own racket), did not notice any difference.

But to be on the safe side, don't do it. :)

Fidget likes this.
  5. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Bad practice; just from a logical perspective, it is not a good practice to leave the racket half way through tensioning.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Also agree. It's bad practice. In the worst case you do these crosses in 20-30 minutes and everything must wait. After some cold beer in the summer, I had the feel, that I must pee, but also finished the job. Nothing normal can be so urgently that you can't do the crosses. If you have the really seldom urgent case, I would cut these 3 dollars away and start in a better time, than risking a damaged racket.

7. Coach Choudhury

Coach Choudhury New Member

Coach
    I have seen in one of my local shops, they do the mains and take the racket out for some reason and then do the crosses later on. Don't know how long they keep the rackets out before doing the mains, I don't know why but I can assume they do this at lower tensions. Every time I have been there they always have some rackets with the main done and sitting.

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I guess they just weave them without tensioning. Otherwise it would be difficult do get even a 22lbs racket out of the machine. Also it don't speed up anything. Mounting, Stringing mains, remove, remount doing cross. Even if it's not dangerous for a racket, but it is indeed, the dismount, mount step is not effective.

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I think naming and shaming would be considered a public service

10. Esteban

Esteban Regular Member

What!? I unthinkingly removed a racquet after doing the mains(the cross string broke early) to start over and as soon I had it out of the clamps, it started collapsing immediately without the cross tension to counter the main tension.

I will never make that mistake again....cut first! I can't possibly see how the could be tensioning the mains and have the racquet survive removal from the machine.

11. Coach Choudhury

Coach Choudhury New Member

Coach
    Q; I guess they just weave them without tensioning.
    A: When I looked at the rackets they seemed tensioned as there was no extra string length left to do the tension afterwards.
    I can't name and shame them as they are a big badminton company in the UKand do a lot of funding for my county badminton; rackets, trainers, shuttles ect. I will try to get pictures when I go into the store again, its been a year since I last went.

12. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Ok, so now it got me thinking; do bad stringing practices such as some of those mentioned above can possibly lead to mysteriously snapping racket frames during a game even when there were no clashes or bad shuttlecock mishits? Could it be possible that leaving a partially finished stringing job for an extended time than necessary would somehow compromise the integrity of the racket frame that in some cases would finally break in the middle of a very normal play sans accidents?

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you want to know what a racket experiences under mains-only stress, imagine a 600+ lb weight at the top of the hoop.

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    If they are a big company, you should name them to avoid people going to them. Also for warranty issues this precedure is very doubtful. I would never bring a racket there.

If a serial killer, spended millions for charity, helped countless grandmas over the street, doesn't mean that he can compensate any bad. He did something bad and should be punished.

That this method made hundred of rackets mystical collapsed of trusty customers is possible, should be punished as well.