Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by dubber, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yeah, forget about the Olympics and get a good recovery.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Share rooms to save on costs.

Badminton isn't quite up there yet.

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I thought the separate rooms situation was dictated by personality errr differences? Thinking about it, why would you choose to share if you can have your own room? :) I shouldn't post before coffee.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I daresay brain surgery is a major op, recovery is a long and painful, even difficult,process. Sad to say, I doubt he can ever play professional badminton, or any sport for that matter, again. My heartfelt wishes for his good recovery and may he lead a happy,fulfilling life ahead.

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Doesn't seem to me he'd play again anymore. Wishing him speedy recovery.

And of course, Boe will be affected big time. Wouldn't be easy to find a new partner. His career to is as good as over unless he comes up with a magical partner. I am sure he must have shortlisted few already. Boe/Ivanov should be a good pair. They have played together in PBL few times and did well.

#125 paroxysmal, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    At his age, there will be very little chance to return to playing. A few years ago a friend of mine had the same. He was in a coma for weeks and he will never be right again.

7. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Update as of Feb 23 taken from their official facebook page:

On Facebook, Boe confirmed that his team-mate, who he won an Olympic silver medal with at London 2012, had been moved out of intensive care to his own room.

“Everything goes as planned, he is very sleepy and sleeps most of the time,” Boe wrote.

“He can already start his recovery training today, and we had him up sitting for a few seconds.”

Carsten is progressing by baby steps. He hardly eat or drink anything, and is barely awake. Doctors say its normal after such a surgery, however it would be nice if he soon starts eating more. He haven't had any food since the surgery. He got a massive headache and it's gets worse when he gets up, so it's a 5 min struggle every time we want him to sit or stand up of a few seconds, however when he get up, he walk all fine by himself to the bathroom. He barely speaks, but him lame humor is still there, we told him that he needs to sit up, otherwise he wouldn't be able to sit on an airplane and fly home, then he just replied, "then I will just ride a bicycle home"
    (end)

Good to see that he's able to walk okay after getting up but obviously getting up out of bed from a lying position is still very difficult for him, expected. Apparently he still has a good sense of humor =D. Also glad he can start physical therapy/recovery training soon.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Now that he's past the critical phase and is out of the ICU while in Russia, his immediate goal would seem to be to get well enough to take a flight back home to Denmark for further medical care, followup and recovery via physio, OT, kinesiology etc.

Wish him well soon. But truly it would be miraculous if he can make it to Rio OG.

#128 visor, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  9. biomik

biomik Regular Member

From Facebook: So while Carsten is recovering I will play a few tournaments with Cai Yun. I wanna stay fit so Lars Uhre and I talked about who I could play some tournament with, I knew Cai Yun retired from the national team, so thought of asking him. We still need approval from the Chinese association, but we have entered Malaysia and Singapore Open. Cai would be a dream partner for me, not only is he the greatest men´s doubles player of my generation, but also a really nive guy. I really hope the Chinese association will give permission.
    But who will do the smashing in this combo?

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That would be really good to see Boe and Cai playing together. Cai has always been an amazing player, and his demeanor just oozes calm, confident, sportsmanship. It would be an interesting pairing.

11. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Another update from their official facebook page as of Feburary 29, 2016:

"Just finished a brief phone call with Carsten. He is in a much better condition now, than when I left him on Tuesday, it's was actually possible to have a conversation with him. The plan is still to fly him back home later this week, where he gets admitted to a hospital for a few weeks. He seems positive and ready for a fight of Olympic dimensions"

Well, it looks according to mathias, carsten is going to do everything he can to try to get back in shape for the olympics. A bit preliminary as I'm sure the team doctors will have to medically clear carsten for this undertaking. He has about 5 months to recover in time for the olympics if he wants to do so. We shall see if he is up to it.

12. biomik

biomik Regular Member

I don't think it will be possible for him to play in Olympics or even compete in badminton anymore (but please Carsten prove me wrong). Ruptured brain aneurysm is not unlike massive stroke. What I hope and wish for him is that recovery will be as complete as possible so he can lead normal life and enjoy it.

13. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

i think you misunderstand "He seems positive and ready for a fight of Olympic dimensions".

i really dont want to sound too negative, but first things first... he needs to recover slowly but steadily right now. this is the primary goal!

14. nizze

nizze Regular Member

IMO, the Olympics is important but health is more important.

15. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

no one ever said they are not important. it just should not be his goal right now and to be fair and realistic: he will not be able to compete there...

16. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

17. phili

phili Regular Member

That's good news! He seems to be recovering well but he still has a long recovery ahead of him. I wonder how this ruptured aneurysm has affected his abilities.

18. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
  19. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

come on, use your brain..... it's mogensen.

20. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member