SHould the court color always be green?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by opikbidin, Feb 28, 2016.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
  2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I don't think so. There are many with blue, red and wooden colors. Any of these colors will do really.

However, green is the traditional color. For something as insignificant as color, going traditional instead of being bold (pink court anyone?) is probably a good idea.

3. Chris Chin

Chris Chin New Member

Green is relaxing to the eyes.

4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Since international tournaments are played on mats (BWF III.1A Appendix 2 §3.1), the colors are naturally limited to what is available and certified. While no specific color is required by the certification process, note

Also, some colors will clash with the basic laws of Badminton:

For lower-level play, national federations may also recommend (but usually not require) certain colors, either lines or flooring. For example, the German national association cites DIN 18032, which recommends green lines for Badminton in sports halls, and therefore a non-green floor. Naturally, this is only relevant for very low-level tournaments, where mats are optional.

In summary, while virtually all mats are green in practice, there is no requirement for court color, apart from sufficient contrast with the line color. The color is evaluated by BWF experts during the certification process; problematic mats (e.g. neon colors) are likely to be rejected.

#4 phihag, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It was just for fun, as i see there was another color used besides green in the past (red) so I think it's interesting if There are more color variations. The line is yellow or white so i think Red, Blue, Black, Purple, Brown, etc can be used. It can be a special thing for a tournament:)