NEW: Ashaway's ZyMax XS String Line-Up for 2015!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DinkAlot, Oct 2, 2014.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

2. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Which of the newer Zymax string will be a suitable replacement for Zymax 67? My stringer just told me that he won't be importing any more Zymax 67 as I'm the only one who uses this string.

I tried Zymax 70, but didn't like it.

3. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

66Fire is a good replacement. It's more powerful and keeps its repulsion for longer, in my experience.

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Cool, thanks PinkDawg. :)

5. Meester Chris

Meester Chris New Member

I'm sorry. Your opinion on this matter is really far from the actual fact.

A prestretched string's main purpose is to make immediate impact. Usually this is much required by top players playing in tournaments. What happens during a prestretch for any string below 0.68 in thickness is.....it gives the user an impact over 4-5 hours before falling flat to the ground.

For players who only plan to restring once every 2.5 and above months, a prestretch calibration is certainly not advised. I would also not advised a pre stretch for any professionals in training infact. Why waste money and time to constantly restring? Why not just string it at constant and focus on improving during training rather than depending heavily on freshly strung strings.

it is one thing giving an opinion, but when you make an opinion sound 100% like its a fact,,,,,thats when it goes wrong.

6. Meester Chris

Meester Chris New Member

A prestretched string's main purpose is to make immediate impact. Usually this is much required by top players playing in tournaments. What happens during a prestretch for any string below 0.68 in thickness is.....it gives the user an impact over 4-5 hours before falling flat to the ground.

For players who only plan to restring once every 2.5 and above months, a prestretch calibration is certainly not advised. I would also not advised a pre stretch for any professionals in training infact. Why waste money and time to constantly restring? Why not just string it at constant and focus on improving during training rather than depending heavily on freshly strung strings.

it is one thing giving an opinion, but when you make an opinion sound 100% like its a fact,,,,,thats when it goes wrong.

Quick reply to this message Repl

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't agree with you.

The main purpose for a PS is to keep the prefered tension longer due removing the slack of the string without harming the elasticity much.

According to the data of some tournament stringers here who strung for the pros, most of them don't go for a PS. Most of them go for a fresh string daily even when it didn't snap. AFAIK just some European players prefer the PS function.

My preferred tension (30-32lbs) is not far away from the pros and I can tell you that regardless I switch PS on or not, the feel and repulsion don't last long for me. I string nearly every week. If broken or not, regardless which gauge.

Especially players who don't break strings often and choose lower tension, the PS function is welcome to hold the tension for a longer period tight. Especially players who choose BG65, BG65TI, BG66UM, BG68TI and all Victor strings benefit from the PS. A Victor string or the BG65's and 66's drop tension so fast that I can't play longer than 2-3 days with them.

Why do you advise even pros not to PS and several restrings? If you get sponsored or have a stringer in your team, you won't pay anything for a restring.

Even I string my own rackets pretty frequent and most people who can afford this/have a own stringing machine would do this. It cost just my a bit of my leisure time and and my prefered string max. 6USD.
    Belief me, if you do this, you will never look back. I spend much more money on shuttles for each week.

I don't think that any pro or player with passion isn't focused on training and improving. With always fresh jobs and a restring routine, you don't have to think much about broken strings in tournaments or league games, dull feeling etc. Your equipment is always in best condition. You don't need to worry and can be focused on yourself.

#867 ucantseeme, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, agree with ucantseeme. And anyways the 5% that yan does is really not that much... not enough to kill the elasticity much. Ive heard of some who PS by 20%! Now that's a bit much for both the string and the frame, especially if the base tension is already high 20's.

#868 visor, Jan 29, 2016
  9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This doesn't seem right.

Pros tend to not use pre-stretch (some do, unsure what the proportions are) because they don't use the strings long enough for it to matter. Also, when you string at 35lbs, doing a prestretch just increases the chance of the strings/frames breaking by a lot.

For any non pros who don't change strings every week, pre-stretch is very much beneficial to them as long as the racket is strung at the right tension. Instead of asking for 24lbs, receiving a racket at 20lbs and playing with a racket at 18lbs that drops below 15lbs in a couple months, they ask for 22lbs, receive a racket at 21lbs and play with a racket at 20lbs that drops to maybe 18-19lbs after a couple months. In case #1, a seasoned player would find the strings too soft after not even a month while the second could probably use it much longer. The difference is huge.

Don't quote me on those numbers, they're very gross approximations, just trying to demonstrate how it works.

#869 yan.v, Jan 29, 2016
  10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I've actually upped it to 10% for most strings and 15% for the ones that lose the most tension, result was very much appreciated.

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

How does one state his opinion as facts and then calls people out for taking their "opinions" as facts ?

What you are saying goes against what most pro stringers and stringers association state. You better have very good credentials to make such claims and hope to be believed or even just considered. What are those credentials ?

12. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    I bought 5 packs of zymax 62 to try last year. Just two hours into play and it broke and next one same thing so I gave away the other 3 pack left. Don't waste your money on this kinda string. The string is a little cheaper than yonex or victor but labour for string you will pay more. It will snap in no time

13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Living in Canada and hoping for ZM62 to last is like hoping the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup... :p

14. seagame2001

CNC
    It was in summer time not winter time

15. visor

visor Regular Member

What tension?

16. seagame2001

CNC
    24 and 26 I still remembered the last one broke when I warmed up

17. seagame2001

CNC
    So no more zymax for me. I just go with Yonex

18. visor

visor Regular Member

I had similar problem with it 2 yrs ago, but that was in winter, on mishits, playing in an unheated gym that was around 13 degrees C!

Nowadays playing in another gym that's heated, haven't had any problems with breakage. Not even on occasional mishit.

Perhaps stringer cause?

19. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

Zymax62 and Zymax62 fire are two completely different strings. I also bought some zm62 last year and I mishit way too much and have never gotten through 1 game without breaking it, sometimes it goes within the warmup!! But that is probably me and not the string. That said, I have strung exclusively with ZM62 fire for the last 5 or 6 months and I have yet to pop a single one. My usual tension is 24lbs (23/25) but I have gone as high as 28lbs for fun. Absolutely zero issue with the "fire" branded Zymax strings.

20. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    If you keep hitting the sweet spot, Zymax 62 and 62F will last a long time. I've had both on two of my rackets for almost a year, and they're both still going, with relatively little wear showing. Strung at 27/29. I play about 9-10 hours a week, and rotate through 5 rackets. So, it'll be close to 100 hours on each set of strings. Both sets have already lasted twice as long as a set of BG85, and about a third longer (so far) than a set of BG80 Power. The 62F looks like it'll last forever. After saying that, I'll probably hit one off the top edge and snap it tonight.