Why has LCW's doping become a non-issue?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by syntaxerror, Oct 17, 2015.

1. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

In other sports, when athletes are discovered to have doped, they are branded as doppers and cheaters for the rest of their careers.

For LCW, people have quickly forgotten about it. Why?

2. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i think it's based on the actual circumstances...

from
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=94944

and apparently, he's actually better off making sure he doesn't consume this since

#2 quagmire, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    because dexamethasone is a common drug, for allergy etc. I took it when I had itches and eczema on my skin.

and FYI, it's one of those drugs that are commonly prescribed by "bad" doctors who don't know what the real disease is and just prescribe dexamethasone so you will feel better.

just because it is in the corticosteroid category doesn't mean it's a superdrug that will make you superhuman

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree. the type of drug used does not directly contribute to performance increase, if it were something else like steroid or EPO then it maybe more scrutinized.

another factor that hasn't been mentioned is that Lee Chong Wei is highly popular player and never display a personality that he would go as far as cheating with drugs. this matters on how quickly or hastily fans make judgement and also forgiveness after the (so called) drug ban.

5. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people

The initial argument that dexamethasone is enhancing the recovery of inflammatory injuries so that the athlete can recover faster. Dexamethasone is certainly not helping in enhancing performance, in fact, by taking dexamethasone, it actually hamper muscle performance slightly. But honestly, with the doping scandals found in the athletic world, I just wonder how deep the doping (even if it is very minor) problem is in badminton, especially when there is more and more money coming into the sport in recent years.

6. Vinman

Vinman Regular Member

Nutritionist
    In my opinion, where there is a lot of money to be made in a sport, there is 100% no doubt in my mind that there is one form of doping or another that goes on, thing is there are so many advancements in designer steroids and its derivatives that anti-doping agencies can't keep up.

It's unfortunate but that is just the way it goes with most professional sports these days.

7. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    To make more money pour into the game, we should allow full-on doping. Pharma companies will begin sponsoring players.

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

^ lol that is dangerous to the players. I understand that people want more money in badminton, but that way is too shallow

9. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    Yeah, but what we really need is bikini badminton, to increase TV viewership. Worked for Volleyball.

Now, LCW's doping seems very mild and accidental, considering the match-fixing going on in world Tennis, cricket and god knows which other sport. Can't trust any "star" athlete these days.