Zymax strings, .66 fire really more durable than .67s?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by davinci.., Jan 1, 2016.

1. davinci..

davinci.. Regular Member

So I've been looking to switch up my strings, Looking into the Zymax 67's.

I normally play with yonex 98s, but the last time I went to get strung they had NOTHING else, so I ended up with some bg65. Which I absolutely HATE, I used to use them all time years ago at 22lbs, now I usually string at 25, and they feel absolutely dead, and worse trash my arm(elbow and shoulder pain after a few hard games), maybe the lack of shock absorption, no idea.

I've loved the 98's and 66ultimax's I've played with, but their cost and my penchant for breaking strings(once a month like clockwork,2-3 sessions a week at 2+ hours a session) is starting to cost me. I want something with the same play, but more durable. I cant seem to break these bg65's no matter what I do... and trust me, I'm trying, its been 4 months and NO sign of even the slightest ware, despite having 11 broken grommets....

I've read great things about the zymax 67's, a friend swears by them. Are they more durable than the yonex 98's? they are certainly cheaper which alone makes them worth it. They have great tension retention, which would be awesome. While looking into it, I also noticed Zymax has a new "fire" line, which apparently has 66s which they rate at durability 10, compared to the 67's durability at 9??

Would the newer fire .66 string, actually be more durable than the .67s I was originally planning on getting? Is it worth the extra cost(barely anything), will they have the same great tension retention that the 67's have? I'm looking for durability and keeping their tension!

Thanks

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, the new Fire seems to have great tension retention and durability. But dang, you play plastic with NBG 98?! No wonder they don't last.

3. Aedgy

Aedgy Regular Member

66 Fire tend to fray LOT more quickly than the older ZM 67. In fact, on my racket even ZM65 is more durable than 66 Fire in my opinion. I do prefer 66 Fire for feel/repulsion though.

Tension retention are decent to good for most Ashaway strings but NBG 98 does decent job retaining tension too.

No Ashaway is gonna feel/play same as NBG98 - you're just gonna have to try them out and see if you like them. The good news to that is that no Ashaway is gonna feel like BG65 either.

I would even recommend trying ZM70 or 69 Fire if durability is a main concern.