Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What's LD doing over in Brazil? Was just watching some of his game against koukal. Got yellow carded in game 2 just started knocking the shuttle away instead of passing it back, totally went in the huff and basically gave the remaining points away so koukal won game 2. LD grabs his bag to change ends lifts it up to head height and just drops it in is box from 6ft up lol. Seems a bit strange that he would travel to such a tournament just to play terrible against unchallenging players, not enjoy it and demotivate himself further.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Why so surprised? He's been acting like that in the past numerous times...

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

This is different level. Much lower grade tournament much more annoyed at himself, playing even more lazy. He has no obligation to be there unlike ss and ssp events and if it is because he is checking it out for Rio he is only giving himself bad memories :D

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... He's probably totally disgusted at having to be there. I'm pretty sure it's not his choice.

But I wonder what the CHN team hopes to achieve there as a reconnaissance trip? And why even need LD to go?

Surely lighting will change, and wind draft will differ depending on the crowds and temperature. Food, transportation and lodging sourcing perhaps?

#6864 visor, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

LYB is using this trip as a test to find a good way to get control over the air con. :D

But seriously, I don't think that LD or any of the players participating are going to gain a big advantage over other players who haven't been there. You are right, the wind draft can vary and the lighting could be changed. I don't think it's the final setup yet.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Make sure his room has good enough hot tub? I dunno, very bizarre move

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    His sponsor asked him to go?

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I don't blame the umpires getting impatient with players these days, they take so long to start a rally. They fidget and walk about incessantly.

Lin Dan is one of the worst offenders.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, no kidding. Already the umpires are not paid much, if at all, so maybe they just want to get out of there asap... :)

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Possibly but doubt it. But that might also explain why he looked like a plonker wearing two different coloured shoes, maybe yonex's plan to double sales in Brazil.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Most probably, and he's disappointed by the low crowd turnout (less than 500 spectators), little publicity and not impress with the venue. I believe even Yonex, the tournament sponsor, is too.

I won't be surprised he purposely wears mismatched colour shoes to catch some attention for his Yonex special Lin Dan edition series, including the racquets that he is trying out. Apart from his apparel which has to be Li-Ning's, everything else is Yonex's, shoes, socks, racquet, kitbag, towel. Otherwise I don't think he'd want to travel that far (26 hrs flight, 30 including waiting time) just to play a Level 3 BWF event.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

13. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    If only I'm in Brazil right now.

14. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

Maybe LD is very angry about this, Brazil didn't really put much attention on badminton.

15. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    No .. Lin dan is still wearing Li ning Socks to play. Socks and clothing has to be Li ning for games.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, it was a letdown for Lin Dan and , I believe, for Yonex too, the sponsor for the Brasil Open GP. Though Lin Dan is now quite a tactful and diplomatic person, he can't hide his disappointment, a very genuine personality that he is.

The good news is, the BWF secretary, Thomas Lund, has come out to say, come the Rio Olympics, the tournament venue will undergo a transformation and be converted into a 7,000-seat capacity stadium.

As it is for this Rio GP, to accommodate five badminton courts and a warm-up area, the organizer only partition a seating capacity of 500, and that most of the time, only about a hundred people turned up to watch. Indeed, badminton not popular at all in Brazil. I'm pretty sure, during the Olympics, up to two-thirds pf the audience will be from all over the world, a large part from Asia, what with Lin Dan, Lee CW, Chen Long being the crowd-puller, including a few others.

I feel we shouldn't take Lin Dan's reactions at the Rio GP too negatively, it's from positive feedback and constructive criticisms that you improve and take steps to do everything that is right. After all,the Olympics is the world's grandest stage, Brazil, as the host, for sure will want to project her best image and ensure the success of the games.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If shoes can be Yonex's, why not the socks ? That's my understanding, only the clothes has to be Li-Ning's as he is still part of the CHN National Team.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They count socks as part of the clothes ;)

19. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student

He got those expectations fulfilled . Checking the venue and weather . What he is whining about ?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's strange, for socks and shoes go together, doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I recall from memory what I read before that Lin Dan can wear Yonex socks,shoes,even wrist-band, and use Yonex racquets, kitbag - except his apparel must be Li-Ning's, CMIIW; it's somewhere in this thread, the link to the Chinese article, too lazy to search for it.