Review of Yonex Voltric Z Force II compared to Armortec 900 Technique

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by baddiebaddie, Oct 9, 2015.

1. baddiebaddie

baddiebaddie Regular Member

I've been using my Armortec 900 Technique for about 6 years now and I only have two racquets. I've been really happy with the performance of these racquets (3U, 5G, strung at 24 with BG66) but now that I'm back in the sport, I was also shopping around for other racquets in case I could never get another spare. Based on forum reviews I went for the Voltric Z Force II, 3U, 5G. I got it strung with BG66 Ultimax at 24.

I took my Voltric for a test drive today and I don't know if it was an adjustment thing but the racquet was, in my opinion, superior to the Armortec only because of the power it could generate effortlessly. But the finesse shots, the control, net play, defence, the 900T wins.

TL;DR: I think I'm going to buy another AT 900 Technique to be safe because it really is a truly stellar racquet for me. Even the pros I play with said, stick to the AT, it's better.

2. siongbing

siongbing Regular Member

Should try li ning n90iii. Better control,easier to defend and faster than at900t.

3. rodondo4

rodondo4 Regular Member

Thanks for the comparison really good to match up two rackets of different eras, I would just like to add where are you able to still buy the Aromortec 900 ???

4. baddiebaddie

baddiebaddie Regular Member

Hi, they still have a few AT 900 Techniques here in the Philippines so I can call my local stockist to get them. I have two AT 900 Technique 3U 5G that I've been using forever but lately, I decided to use them sparingly and use my Voltric Z Force 2.

I absolutely hated the Voltric when I first started using it and now I have to say it's actually not so bad. It's not as good for defense as my Armortec and precision-wise, it's still a little all over the place. But I've got the timing adjustment with my new racquet and I use it for singles.

To compare: Armotec vs Voltric

Clears: Voltric
    Drives: Voltric
    Smashes: Voltric

Net Play: Armortec
    Defensive play: Armortec
    Reflex Shots: Armortec
    Precision and Control: Armortec
    Half Smashes and Slices: Armortec

So it depends on what you are looking for. I mess around with singles and competitive club games with my Voltric but for intense doubles games where I'm playing ranked players, AT.

5. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Hi Baddie Baddie can I try your AT900T sometime? VTZF2 user here (3U/4U G5) ;)

6. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I've used both the Armortec 900T in both 3u and 4u and ZF2. The Zf2 I used for a little while in 3u but have since switched to 4u.

I personally favor the Zf2 over the 900T. Both have the dampened feel when striking the shuttle but the Zf2 is stiffer and head-heavier compared to the AT900T. It's is also faster in terms of defence and drives. The AT900T however has a bigger head so it's more user friendly in terms of sweet spot.

7. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Hello Renmazuo, Billy's Gear ;) I ordered a new VTZF2 3UG5 from Japan and will be arriving tomorrow then I saw an Armortec 900PLC at a shop in Hongkong priced almost the same as ZF2. My question is AT900PLC a good buy? Except for Duora10 I like to try using Lee Chong Wei's previous rackets :)

8. Renmazuo27

Lol! first person in over 14 years to figure out where my nickname came from. Used it for so long that when i look back to that magazine, it feels like they stole the name from me!!

At900PLC is a good racket for sure. You're only issue may be trying to source a replacement if ever. Still very good rackets. I have a friend who uses nothing but at900P (normal and LCW) and will buy any he can find to stock up.

Out of curiosity, why not order the ZF2 in HK? Wouldn't it have been cheaper or were you specifically looking for a JP Coded racket?

I know the price of gear in Manila isn't cheap!

9. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Your nickname is great and it happens to be my favorite gear (and Fenrir) in Xenogears :)

My ZF2 4U broke only 2 weeks ago and I can't afford to go to HK now and I'm stuck with my VT80 4U with BG80 @30lbs and it feels kind of strange hitting with it though it was my favorite racket before feels lighter and more friendly. And you were right, ZF2 here is as expensive as Duora10 and VTZ2 LD / LCW.

Then I looked here and compared prices from Ebay and Global Rakuten and difference is not much :) So I made a purchase there and can't wait to get may hands on it. Cheaper by a little including the tariff I hope and JP coded as well I'm so happy! It's included with BG66 Ultimax too and planning to put 28/29lbs tension. The AT900PLC looks attractive to me but feels a little heavier too. I should've bought this rather than the AS Z-Slash ;)

Attached Files:

10. Renmazuo27

Ah right, those old school games were the best.

The Vt80 is a good racket but less demanding. If you've been using Zf2's (like I have), going back to it will feel spongy naturally to it being less stiffer. Mine is eating Zymax62's at 26lb's for lunch at the moment so I'm deciding whether to drop tension or go two the newer zymax 62 fire.

Funny thing is my ZF2 4u handles zm62 like a dream. It felt like a plank at first but now it's settle down it feels great.

Rackets back home are not cheap. Every time I'm there I'm amazed at the prices they sell them at, almost 3x of what they cost me here or in Singapore.

The At900PLC is heavier and slower, owing to the box frame. Still packs a punch if you can wield it properly.

11. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Yes spongy is the correct feeling that I was having. Smashing with a sponge :) Maybe changing to a thinner gauge string will make a difference. I'm not sure if I'm going to regret getting a 3U ZF2 for I am playing doubles a lot. 4U in my experience is nimble but the deal is already made. Maybe I should train my arm a little bit more to handle the weight

12. Renmazuo27

Yeah I had that feeling with all of the Armortecs that I used. All of my voltrics are 4u anyway as I'm predominantly a doubles player who dabbles in singles. It is usable but as you say maybe some training with the arm, shoulder and wrist will be required to both utilise it to it's full potential and prevent injuries

13. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Hello Renmazuo27, can you please take a look of my VT Z Force 2 here and let me know your expert opinion. I'm having this kind of feeling or doubts about the racket but to me personally it feels right. In my hands 3U is of course a little heavier than my broken 4U one and I already played it yesterday and all my hits felt strong, easy and relaxed. I was wondering why my friends who got their hands on the 3U racket claims that is lighter than my VT80 (4UG4) or even the ZF2 4U but to me of course as the owner knows better (it's heavier in the head). I hate to make this request but can you kinda tell if the racket is not genuine? What if I get the 4U from Japan will it feel truly lighter than the one I purchased in HK? I have pics attached many thanks! ;)

Attached Files:

14. Renmazuo27

No that's fine, happy to help.

It looks pretty good to me, as in genuine. Did the racket come with any paperwork?

All sorts of things will come into play when comparing a racket. Do note that JP coded rackets have stricter QC so there's minimal variances in weight. With other codes the tolerances are wider. So you may get a very light 3u or a heavier 4u within their weight range. Some shops you can actually specify this.

There's also the grip, unstrung weight to take into account as well.

I have various coded ZF2 4u's but they all feel a tad different to my ZF2 4u JPs, which I now have two of them. You couldn't tell these two apart if you picked them up blindfolded but pick up the AS or TW coded racket and you get a little variation in feel.

15. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    I see, so that explains it :) Yes the dedicated team from Japan provided all the necessary documents of the Racket but not a standard Voltric bag :( I have it strung in our local genuine Yonex supplier and he insisted 30lbs with BG66UM where I prefer 29lbs only or the BG80P @30lbs (I was afraid the string would break). Playing experience for me was I can defend fast smashes with ease or even return it at the back of my opponent effortlessly, superior control at the net like tight drop shots. Problem is I cannot get my smash timing right and also it's not easy to play quick drive defense at the net during doubles but overall I'm very happy that I chose to get this again than the Duora10

Attached Files:

16. Renmazuo27

I noticed this when I was in Manila last. Some stringers "push" you into trying tensions or strings you don't really want.

Strings and tension are a personal choice. Only you the user knows what is best and it's a shame they do this. Almost as if the art of customer satisfaction has been lost in search for a profit.

I had this "problem" with the 3u. I bought one the day it was released and could not keep up with the drives that are a major part of my game. Going to the 4u helped obviously as it was lighter and quicker.

Give it some time, you'll get used to the weight and eventually be able to make reflex shots with it. The fun begins once the strings settle and you're calibrated for smashes.

17. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Yes ;) that's why I like it strung at 29~30lbs for I believe (personal experience*) that once the strings settled or loses tension, it will feel like it's only around 26~28lbs (creepage of the trade c/o Coach Paul) which for me it still feels great.

I was looking at the Zymax 66 Fire string (in red color) yesterday and I like it installed in my VT80 which has a BG80 now to maybe correct that spongy sensation and the guy told me it's "slipppery", hard to control tight spinning net shots, is this true? :confused:

18. Renmazuo27

Definitely not slippery. I have it on my VT80 etune and I get good slice out of it, I don't have problems with the net shots either so I'd say that's a no.

19. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    Alright I'll write again once I tried it and let you know what will be my experience thanks again :)

20. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    I'm back and here's what happened: I had my VT-80 (4U) installed with Zymax 65 @30lbs in red (looks great) and I can personally tell that it's like an BG66UM and I hate to say this being a Yonex guy.. It feels much better for me and it gives a powerful crunchy sound to the smash. It hits harder now compared to the previous string that was there, the BG80 @30lbs

In other aspects (control, defense, etc.) I think they're the same. Should I install this to my VT-ZF2? Maybe in the future for I'll try the BG66-Force first ;)

Attached Files: