Badminton racquet for returning player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bluemushroom, Oct 16, 2015.

1. bluemushroom

bluemushroom New Member

Student
    Hi all,

I'm a player who has played badminton as a child in school and recreationally since but stopped for about four or five years now. I'm retaking badminton as my primary recreational sport (some competition possible in the future) in third year university. My playing level is probably intermediate by most standards, though I have been credited with an "advanced" label by my former high school coach.

I am able to lob/clear under- and overhead to the opposite baseline from all positions, though the backhand overhead lob can be a little wonky at times, but forehand I am confident in the consistency of the stroke. This is also the shot that I play the most. My dropshot from the rearcourt and at net are both proficient and are my primary weapon in the department of attacking strokes. My smash is decent, I suppose, with passable pace; I hit smashes with more caution and discretion than the average player in my high school, though I'm not sure if that means much to you. My forehand and backhand drives (this term seems a little unclear in meaning at times and here is used to mean tennis-esque forehands and backhands) are reliable.

I characterize myself as an aggressive player; I actively attempt to force errors from my opponents and to move them around the court.

My previous racquet was a 1999 RSL (I had several packed into one trunk) that I have used throughout my school years and have not updated but restrung every so often; I think I have lost them during my move to Toronto and need a replacement, hence this post. I am a control-oriented player and my swings are generally longer than average. I play singles more than doubles, and in doubles I generally play left/right. I prefer a racquet with ample feel and feedback, preferably with a soft touch. Head-light has proven more effective for me so far, but I won't mind using a head-heavy one. Accuracy is paramount to me as I aim very deliberately.

I have a flexible budget as I'm only buying one or two at this time. My preference for string is natural gut at a low tension.

2. y11971alex

y11971alex Regular Member

Hello, anybody there?

3. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    You can't go wrong with a low end Yonex racket.
    Should be easy to get hold of and easy to get used to.
    More specifically, I recommend the Voltric 7, a powerful and forgiving racket.

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I have no idea what to recommend you for natural gut string.

My usual recommendation for someone that's just returning or isn't too sure on what they want is an even balanced Arcsaber. An even balance lets you decide if you want more control, or more power, and gives you an idea of where to start looking next.

5. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    http://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/babolat-vs-touch-natural-gut-0-70mm-badminton-set/
    Never tried it myself though ...

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
  7. y11971alex

Would anybody here recommend a Carbonex 21 Special? They're on sale on Amazon.

8. lcw the best

lcw the best Regular Member

Bomb maker
    Oh I have a carbonex 21 so well it is fast real good a t control and also even balanced. It is only lacking the power and also kind of fragile. But definitely good control flawless, drives about perfect, defense real fast but power maybe not so famous. It is a all round racket but since you are offensive better not go for it. I would say probably a mid range vt7 or a arc7. Nanorays are excellent too maybe the upcoming 9000 Lin Dan. Since head light are your preference , I would recommend a nanoray 700?

9. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    As for non-Yonex recommendations, I can wholeheartedly endorse a BRS12. Maybe a Jetspeed Ahmad would work good for you.

10. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    I would like to recommend you Victor Meteor X90 (must use 3U version), this is an even-balanced racket with fast frame and bigger sweet spot compared to an average racket.

With all the above, users can have an effortless play and enjoy every minutes of his/her games.

11. y11971alex

Anybody here a fan of RSL racquets?

12. lcw the best

lcw the best Regular Member

Bomb maker
    No RSL? Only seen it selling in Malaysia. My friend has one though, really sucks.