Slipping clamps at higher tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by xgumbyx, Jun 10, 2015.

1. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

Hi all,

I have a Gamma Progression II 602FC and have added the Gamma MDCSC-11 badminton clamps to it and haven't had any issues until recently when for fun I tried to string a few racquets at higher tensions 28-30lbs. I notice a slight slip of the string at the clamp when the tension is released from the drop weight which is obviously not ideal. After adjusting the dial on the clamp to the next solid notch (a bit hard to explain but anyone who has used these clamps will know what I am talking about) the string doesn't slip but now the string is showing signs of being flattened by the clamps. The clamping surfaces are clean and the string being used is Ashaway Zymax66 Fire. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Terry

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Are you sure that the string slips in the clamp or could it be movement of the clamp base? FME it's very difficult to adjust the dial right and needs alot of patience, but some small marks are normal, but it shouldn't be crimped. You should clean the clamps with an old toothbrush and a few drops of tuprs after a few stringing jobs. Let they dry naturally. I heared that your clamps are pretty decent and even on mine which cost only a third of yours can take tension up to 34lbs (my own experience) without any slipping. Tbh it was a hard job to adjust them to that point where they hold, but don't damage the string. I also used the procedure which [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] showed in his video to adjust the clamps, but my clamps were doing the same (flattened the string). I tried my luck with patience and clean them every 5 jobs. If you have slippage when you pull the first main, I recommend a flying clamp behind the fixed clamps mouth to prevent this slippage on the first pull. You can also start with 2 flying clamps outside. FME the first main is normally the culprit which shows crimping and slippage the most.

3. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

Thanks for the response ucantseeme. I am positive it is the string slipping and not the base moving. If I pinch the string with my index finger and thumb so that my finger/thumb also rest against the clamp (on the side opposite of the dropweight) I feel some movement to the string as the dropweight is raised and then tension is released so there is definitely some slippage there. I'll give the cleaning a try again and see what happens (no racquets to string right now). Regarding the first pull on the mains, I use a mbs floating clamp to start with on anything higher than 26lbs. I clamp the first two mains at the head of the racquet, pull one side and clamp off with the fixed clamp, pull the second string and let the dropweight sit just a few cm higher than normal (horizontal) and slowly release the floating clamp and the dropweight drops into place. I then clamp the second main that is still under tension from the dropweight with the fixed clamp and continue with the fixed clamps as normal.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Is this a 3 finger or a 5/6 finger clamp?

If it's a 5 or more finger clamp it really shouldn't slip. I have used 3 finger clamps at 30lbs and it was just about ok but the more fingers the better.

You also need to keep the gripping surfaces clean. I use alcohol wipes.

Also remember to adjust the clamps' tightness with the dial. Some strings are more slippery than others and obviously thinner strings will need to be dialled tighter.

5. Changsta

Changsta Regular Member

Where do you get the alcohol wipes from?

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    You can get them on ebay/amazon but it's cheaper to get a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and then use kitchen towels. It's great to have rubbing alcohol around the house anyway - I find it really useful and use it a lot for cleaning, disinfecting, degreasing etc.