Why is Chinese WS in decline?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

This World Champs may sum it up that China may only dominate in XD over the next couple of years and beyond. It's very interesting times for badminton.

2. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

China WS got to change the style of play......

3. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Is Zhang Ning no longer coaching WS?

4. Heong

Heong Regular Member

To blame the coach from direct results is wrong and unjustified. Just because all the Chinese WS have lost in this WC and decline doesn't necessarily reflect back to the coaching. Perhaps it is the management more than the coaching itself or the players just lost motivation due to family or personal conflicts for example. Chen Jin is a very good coach and has a lot of experience garnered through his time as a player and although I agree the womens singles is a slightly different tangent, I still believe he has the gears needed to develop the womens game. I do not see Chen Jin doing anything wrong or not putting effort so to blame him because of his players failure to produce results isn't right in my opinion. Had another coach stepped in would you see immediate results? Probably not. You have to see on a wider perspective of things.

From what I can see, rather than these Chinese players on "decline", I think it's the other nations womens singles are stepping to the game and really challenging them. Saina, Carolina and Japanese womens have developed their game so drastically and have studied these Chinese players so well. And also, being from China doesn't automatically mean good results or gold medals. They are still human and can crack at important points. However leading towards Rio 2016, I don't doubt for a second that these girls will pick up their game and start dominating again. Temporary slumps have recorded in the past and often happens from time to time

5. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

Maybe its time China coach learn from Fernando Rivas.

6. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Well, CM has great stamina for sure and also skills too. Not just a coach, you need a great player too. It is kinda boring to watch all the chinese players. It was nice to see other players from other countries in the final

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Knowing CHN , it won't be long before another WS superstar emerges.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  9. syntaxerror

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Seems like this guy gets annoyed, when he can't turn off the air-condition and control everything by himself... :D

11. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Really LOLed

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    good one.. :p

13. syntaxerror

I don't necessarily blame Chen Jin for the poor results but why on earth is Zhang Ning not the 主教练 for WS? She did a decent job before Chen Jin came in to replace her.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If i remember correctly, Zhang Ning took responsibility for LXR's losing in WC 2013 against RI. Besides, Zhang Ning needs to take care of her infant; you can't expect her to travel around the world 12 times a year.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My take is that CBA's policy or management practice of picking only a handful of players, say 4 or 5 WS, for each Olympic cycle, and concentrate on them to the exclusion of others - the backup players, reserves, the younger or junior players - is a contributing factor.

I mean it amounts to artificially or purposely limiting or restricting their pool of talents from freely growing ,developing, and blossoming. For all you know, there's a hidden gem waiting to be discovered if you give more of them greater international exposure and sufficient participation in high level competition in the senior international circuit.

Just by selecting a few apart from the elite players (the chosen ones) and that in batches by rotation to only 3 or 4 tournaments a year simply won't do, not productive by way of learning process, of enabling them to realize their potential, of gaining valuable experience,of acquiring new knowledge, through hard knocks and dismal failures whereby those who have what it takes will emerge stronger and achieve breakthroughs while those who don't will fade away. It's like natural selection in evolution where the few who survive go on to prosper and the rest are eliminated. Instead what we have is CBA doing, if I may use the term, artificial selection.

As an example, let's take He Bingjiao's case, now 18 years old, born 21st Mar 1997. So far this year, she only played 3 senior tourneys, namely CHN IC, CHN Masters, and Skycity New Zealand GPG. Last year , 2014, she also played three, namely, CHN Taipei, Bitburger Open, and Macau Open, all GPGs. In comparison, her peer, the JPN prodigy, Akane Yamaguchi, is a regular feature in the Superseries including Premiers while still competing at the junior championships.

What about the 24-yr-old Yao Xue,a backup/reserve player ? So far 8 tournaments, two short of the 10 required by BWF for ranking calculations. In 2014, also 8 only; same number for 2013.

Sun Yu, the latest elite player at No.4 ? Till now, only 7 in 2015; 10 in 2014 which included the Uber Cup;11 in 2013, that's because she is one of the select few.

How about Liu Xin, Deng Xuan, Suo Di , etc in the recent past, not to mention Shen Yaying, the latest addition? I reckon you know the answer, they come and go.

The good news is Chen Jin, the CHN WS chief coach, the other day at the WC was reported saying he is now urging the backup/reserve players to step up. I take it to mean he's going to let them play more tournaments to prove themselves. But I hope he'll go further and cast the net wider to the provincial and municipal level across the country. Better still, CBA to offer higher incentives to attract more people to take up badminton as a profession. What's more, there are advantages in starting them young, around 15/16 years old, than wait until they are about 19/20 to compete at the senior level regularly - just look at the Thai prodigies for instance.

I understand in the past CBA is reluctant to have too many of their players competing against each other in the international circuit. Things have changed drastically now, CHN WS is facing a crisis situation; desperate times call for desperate measures.

16. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Ah! How I wish India faces a similar "crisis" in the near future.

17. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Temporary Setbacks and Corrective Measures

I am not quite confident that even if they take any desperate measure to amend the crisis in CHN WS now, they can solve the problem and keep the good outcomes in Oly WS due to the too short the time from now to 2016 Rio. They'll have to rely on the proven resources to better their chances. And right now securing the two WS spots for the 2016 Rio is the most urgent thing.

For longer time span beyond the 2016 Rio I have good confidence in their capabilities to amend the decline! Without pouring in at the great length and all the fine details, I just need to remind the readers here, they once faced great crisis in the table tennis (Sweden with Jan-Ove Waldner et al, they took over the Chinese supremacy in table tennis for some short period...sorry i don't bother to check the internet for the exact years of the Sweden reign in TT) and women's volleyball (after the peak at the early 1980s during the Lang Ping generation, then the revival somewhere in 1990s and was still a force to reckon in the world's stage though not as good as before) they now back into the top three again under the head coach Lang Ping.

What I'm trying to point out here is all these sports, table tennis, women's volleyball and badminton, are those quite popular sports there and they have been excellent at them for many decades, thus they have been achieving their critical mass to perpetuate their excellence standing in these sports, of course with the steady huge efforts and generous supports in all kinds of relevant resources. Therefore, with abundant human and all other resources and superb coordination, it won't take very long for them to rectify the decline! I have been witnessing these kinds of setbacks (and they're even worse!) and their successes to regain the top positions as seen today. But perhaps they need to suffer some painful shocks to really get awake, again set the focuses and make the sacrifices and remedies!!! Missed any WS representation in WC semifinals was painful reality, but facing the same thing in the 2016 Oly will really pose as a wake up call with far reaching implications! Time will reveal itself. So let's see.

---

A side note: WYH just lost the match to SN in the quarterfinals by the narrowest 2-point margin in the decider. Supposed it's her who won the match, so she played in the SF facing Lindaweni (INA), which I have good confidence she would pass the hurdle and proceeded into the finals facing the Shriek Master, and frankly, WYH might just be the underdog there... but would you dudes still lament that bad about their WS decline??? See, how losing the two vital points causes everything become pretty sour... :)
    still, it is not like that SN has clear superiority over WYH (though SN won their last two matches incl this WC, SN still trails 3-9 in their H2H), or PVS does really exceeds LXR.

Something to point out here, unlike the 2015 WC (every one knows that atmosphere in Istora Stadium in particular is not quite conducive for the Chinese shuttlers, the MS even needs 26 years to break the jinx there thru a Dragon), the venue of 2016 Oly for badminton will be a neutral zone for Brazil is not a powerful badminton nation. The venue will fare much more equal footing for Chinese players to succeed [cf. Istora Stadium in particular!). Again, Time will reveal itself. So let's see.

#37 kelana, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  18. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    State of China's Badminton

One learns from history, so having seen the same problem in TT and volleyball why was the weaknesses in China's overall badminton strategy not spotted earlier and changes made to overcome the situation? The performance and type of players in the WS lacks power and guile compared to ROW.There have been a number of comments in the forum about this but nothing has been done. The issue here is the next generation not the current players.
    Talking about the next generation of players keep a lookout for the Koreans and Indonesians MS and you will see what I mean. What is there after CL? Start again? or do something now!!
    WS.....wait for the OG ? when they fail to get past by a few points ??

#38 antssantss, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The Chinese article heading reads - CHN WS worst result in history, Li Yongbo: Could be the venue effect

Besides talking about the venue, LYB also said:" Of the (top non-CHN) WS in the world, each has her strong point(advantage) technically, many of them play a physical game, in movement and attack stronger than us. We are restrained in terms of speed and power, tactically unable to play our game, so still need to improve in some technical aspects."

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

On a side note, we can note that the present WS team is lacking in appeal, and even more so with the second tier players (Yao Xue, Sun Yu, etc.).
    Compare to five years ago, with Wang Lin, Wang Shixian, Wang Yihan and Wang Xin. That was not just dominating the scene, it was a brigade of charm!