Where do you look at

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nilavu, Aug 3, 2015.

1. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    Where do you look at, while playing a shot

Where do you look at while playing specific shots. I think they make a lot of difference.

When I play a backhand shot, I look at the shuttle and then anticipate where I hit it. But my backhand clears are weak, like they reach only half court.

If I look at it perhaps then I 'll know that a backhand clear isn't possible on this shot and change it to a backhand drop.

Just wanted to know your thoughts

#1 nilavu, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. captivated

captivated Regular Member

I would say anticipation and body position, in most cases if you resort to drops your opponents would just rush forward and prepare for a net kill if your drop is bad.

I do look at the birdie but i anticipate my opponents movement more than looking at the bird when I am about to hit it.

Perhaps thats from me.

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Look is always on the birdie, the rest is peripheral vision.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Slightly confused by this question... where do you look when you hit a shot? At the shuttle, at the point of contact, in order to get a clean hit.

Where do you look before you decide what shot to play? e.g. when you are moving? As footwork said - you look at the shuttle, and use the rest of your vision to notice what else is happening. You might not be able to see what your opponent is doing e.g. if the shuttle goes behind you/over your head you can no longer know where you opponent is. In this situation, you have to decide to play a shot, based on what you THINK might happen, because obviously you cannot see your opponent. A safe option is to play a clear. A riskier option is to play a dropshot, but you can mitigate the risk in two ways:
    1. be ABLE to hit a good clear. If you can hit a clear, opponents won't guess you are going to hit a dropshot.
    2. Play the dropshot fast and away from the net as it will not be vulnerable to intercept in the same way a slow drop would. Remember - you need to get out of trouble (where trouble is that you are taking the shuttle late and you cannot see your opponent).

Good luck!

Forgive me if I have misunderstood the question.

5. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Not sure if I understand the question. For high lift, I back up to get under the shuttle, then look at my opponent's position, then look up at the bird (then hit).

6. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    All - you have understood the question right. Where do you look at while playing a shot. I have renamed the title, sorry for the confusion.

Personally I feel like we get a few microseconds extra, if we look at the shuttle alone. This can be benefited the most while defending a smash.

But most of my shots are anticipated shots based on the path of the shuttle. Hard to change this habit though