Need drills to improve my accuracy and consistency.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Apr 19, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

I need some drills to improve my accuracy and consistency with my shots, like my lifts and clears, drives and smashes and drops or should i continue to just play games?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Drills are much better at creating a groove in your strokes than games. Do more drills. If you're really bored with drills, incorporate them into your warmup before games. You could warm up with clears, drives, pushes and drops in that order. If you have a full court, one of you could hit crosscourt while the other hit straight... that one will get you moving:p.

#2 cappy75, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  3. mgsmith1

mgsmith1 Regular Member

I think Drills will do more for your accuracy and consistency in a month than playing games will in a year.

Drill with a partner who makes you MOVE and always hit back to a certain spot. wherever he pushes you to, you always drop to the center, or clear to the corner, for example.

Drill drops and clears with a partner; 'drop, drop, clear; drop, drop clear; repeat...' is a good pattern to make each person move up and back without too much rushing--do it half court while warming up. or just take turns where one drops and the other clears, then reverse roles. you can make up all kinds of drills to keep it interesting. but games never let you hit the same shot twice in a row, or focus on using good form.

DRILL!

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

You will need...

-one standard badminton court with lots of court time
    -a feeder who can feed/hit birds consistently
    -a cardboard box approximately 24inches x 36inches (18-24inches tall)
    -a couple of hundred used birds

(1) Clears & Lifts
    -place box on the back corner of the court
    -feeder: hits birds to one location in your court, ex/ forehand baseline
    -player: starting at the base position, return bird attempting to hit it into the box, then go back to base position
    -repeat feed location until 50 birds lands in the box, then change location of the box and start again
    -more challenging: feeder can feed anywhere and increases the rate of the feed

(2) Drops
    -same as (1) except box placed near the front of the net
    -more challenging: feeder can stand near the box, and if the bird is flying too high over the net, the feeder can reject/hit the bird to continue the drill until 50 birds lands in the box

(3) Drives & Smashes
    -same as (1) except the box is placed in mid-court positions, plus use the box as a target rather than hitting the bird into the box

Cheers!

#4 Break-My-String, Apr 20, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  5. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

I need to focus on hitting to certain places in the court, like the four corners and running diagonals, unfortunately there is never enuf court space.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Why don't you try going to your sessions earlier to do some drills? Go before the other guys in your club start arriving.

7. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Good idea, any other ideas, like drills i can do in half court that will help me do cross court shots that are right on the corners? Because i'd like to be able to practice for more than 15 minutes a day.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Why don't you tell us more about your regular sessions? What is the environment like? What are the rules? Is there a time limit to your games? Usually what days are available for play? And the players? Are they hardcore or casual? Do you know a good number of them? As much information as you can give will help us answer your questions better.

Because repetition is the only way to improve individual strokes, you'll need a full court to practice crosscourt shots. One way I could see you doing that while sharing with other people is to get a foursome together, you and one friend do crosscourt drops/push at the forecourts while the other two do clearing drills at the baselines. That'll maximise court usage:).

Also, you could just do drills in place of playing if there's a time limit to the courts. Just remember to bring a stopwatch or time your court usage so that others won't complain in case you guys practice far longer than appropriate.

#8 cappy75, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  9. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

oh.. umm.. at gunn its pretty moderate, there isn't any specific amount of time limit but at bintang which i play at off season its casual to really intense but the intense places are only on four courts. And its like 20 minute etime limit.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

OK, then get three other like-minded buddies to join you at Bintang for practice. I am sure people won't mind you guys doing drills in place of games if you stay within the time limit. I know it's hard to do that since you're paying for court time, but really, drills will make it worthwhile:). Even if you don't play games for one stretch but train, the next time you play will be much better quality.

#10 cappy75, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  11. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I am sure there are some interesting drills already posted on BC/BF.

Try doing a search for the word "drills" & "Search Titles Only" will start you off with some great suggestions.

With each 20 minute court rotation, work on only one set of drill.

Cheers!