Carolina Marin: Spain

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by scuInd78, Nov 23, 2011.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Too many matches led to the defeat in the hand of ML. She may win only one out of six, fatigue is the main reason.

2. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Linking a video here because Marin's first game against Yihan was one of the best WS displays i've seen. Just flawless from start to finish. Sure she made hard work of G2 but I can't think of many that win games from 9 behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqtLkXMViQ

[video=youtube;fYqtLkXMViQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqtLkXMViQ[/video]

Marin's net play has improved a lot in the past 12 months. The only weakness I see in her game right now is her backhand, which is a bit of a wild/ aggressive/ swingy action. Not that opponents can attack it very often.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Carolina Marin may not have the most fans because of his obnoxious shrieks every single single point (See Wang Shixian) and her oncourt behavior, but I was really impressed at the way she dismantled WYH in the SF and came through against WSX in the final.

I really was impressed by her use of the stick smash (with very good power and speed on it) to get weak replies from WSX many many times from her deep forehand winner DTL. Her aggressive game is extremely effective and is, in my opinion, a better version of Saina Nehwal's smash-oriented style because of she her array of shots are more threatening. I also think Carolina Martin uses a much more aggressive style of footwork to get behind the shuttle and increase the pace of the rally (also allows her to hit those amazing stick smashes mentioned earlier).

I really have to give credit for Carolina Martin. Coming from a country not even on most people's radar as a top badminton country (Spain is mainly known for football and tennis players), she really burst onto scene dominated by the Asian countries and is consistently troubling the top Chinese players. I hope we see more players who play as good of badminton as she does from Spain in the future.

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I really enjoyed watching her play. I don't think her shrieks are annoying as long as she did that after each point. A lot of the male players scream out loud when they smash. I found that more annoying.

As one of the commentators said, she plays like a lot of the Chinese WS players but just faster and stronger. I think currently only WSX may have a chance to beat her.

5. dexterc

dexterc Regular Member

government employee
    Too bad she lost early in indonesian super series...but yeah, she is one hell of a player

6. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

After LXR's loss tonite, if Saina loses to WSX tomorrow, Carolina Marin will go world #1 if my calculation is correct

Fingers crossed for this historic moment

7. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Congrats.. Current world number 1. ;) Hope she can grab title at WC

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

She is one of the strongest contenders for Olympic Gold next year, imho. :)

9. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

No.. I don't think so.. If Rachanok continue playing the way that she plays WSX during the BCA Indo open, Rachanok is a stronger contender.

10. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

I am not saying that she is not good. She is a great player with a lot of potential. but for some reasons, I just don't like to watch her playing.. Not just her screaming which really annoys me.. but her attitude and manners around the court and towards her opponent. I find her rude and mean.

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

An interview with Spanish Newspaper Marca,translated by me.
    Part 1:
    Laura Sánchez, with whom I went to school in flamenco, is responsible for such a brilliant career.
    "I joined badminton because it was a rare sport "
    Within 8 years,I first went to a badminton hall. My friend Laura,When she first told me to go with her(to hall) ,I was surprised because it was a rare sport with a ball type thing made up of feathers, a different racket to
    that of a tennis and that was the only reason I was awakened the interest of practice. It was a hobby first which i practised a couple of hours a week. Laura left me to focus on studies.She becomes very happy when she sees how far i have come and thanks to her that i have come this far. "

"I hated and still hate to lose"
    When i was 9 years old, I went to my first tournament in Huelva. No one would say that day that they were seeing a future world champion: "I have a video of when I was nine years in which I was bad, very bad.If anyone would see that girl, no one would imagine that she could become what I am now. All Thanks to the discipline that I have in my character to fight all the frills.I was very competitive. I hated and still hate losing. That made me start winning. "

Never Hesitiated to come to Madrid

"Within 12 years, I left flamenco. But I decided to stay in badminton. I went from school to club IES La order Huelva. Then came my first big hit, "I was very nervous, was very small. I was 12 and I faced that Spain Championship .As the tournament progressed ,i had great fun and I won,it was amazing...".

"Soon after it changed the life of Carolina Marin. Fernando Rivas, my coach, came to see me and Beatriz Corrales for Under 15- Championships. These were two diamond yet to be polished. The president of the Andalusian Federation spoke Carolina parents to let their only child go to the CAR of Madrid. "I did not hesitate at any time, I really wanted to take that step. My parents did what was very difficult because they were going through a difficult time economically and leave her only daughter to move 600 km away was not easy."

"I ran a lot along the tracks"
    Fernando Rivas molded the current world No.1. "I started with him to change my technique, because, as I said, I was very poor, the only good thing I could do was running far down the runway. My movements in the court were really bad. We started to change the technique of such movements, for Years later i was going to start with tactics. "

"My first trip to China that i will never forget"
    I was 12 years old when i was on for the first time on a plane, heading to Toulouse (France) as part of the U 15 team. I lost in groups individually, but in mixed events with Juan Manuel, my best friend today, I came first . Four years later,I stepped in the Asia for the first time. I went to train there and those days in China, with the world's best was an experience I will never forget.

"I had never won a Japanese Girl before and i beat their number 1"
    In the London Olympics. I lost in first round to the then world number 1 Li Xuerui.I won gold in the Under 19 European Championship.It was a very difficult tournament, because as i said before, I become very stressed if I see that I am not playing well. For not playing well, I cried a lot in that tournament and from quarterfinals onwards, I started playing better. In the Finals, I played against Beatriz Corrales. It was a tough game. We had always played very tight games. I took the victory for it would then be dedicated to my grandmother who died recently. "

Shortly after that I bagged a Bronze in Junior World Cup. "It was a bad tournament, I played very nervous, I almost lost in the first round with to a Dutch Girl". Then came the best moment in my career. "I won against the Japanese number one, i had never beaten a girl of that country. It was my first win against a great player."

"In a European Championship I played one of my best matches"
    In 2013 i achieved my first victory in a major tournament circuit,the Grand Prix Gold in London. "I was injured by a knee problem and a few weeks before this tournament I had to take much care of the problem. In the end, the game we had at that time and analyzing my great rivals ,I could get the tournament going and finally won that

In the European Championship in 2014 My name began to resonate loudly and i was one among the favourites. "I was going to win it, just like i go to win in every tournament.Certainly the best i played was the semi-final against Karin Schnaase .I think it's one of the best matches of my career. "

Part 2 will come soon

#111 Nine Tailed Fox, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  12. Nine Tailed Fox

Pardon me if things are messed up.I myself give 2 out of 10 to that translation.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

No, it's great! Tks for translating. It allows us to understand her driving force.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Thanx.2nd part is about to come.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Part 2

I cried and couldn't imagined that i won the gold in the World Championship "
    On August 31, 2014 Carolina Marin changed the history of Spanish badminton. She was The World champion. "At the beginning of the World Championship.Fernando and me set the goal to get a medal, we did not decided or focused on the color of the medal but just to get a medal. When I reached semis, we said we would go for the gold. In the final, I beat Li Xuerui, the same that defeated me in the London Games. When I won , I dropped to the floor, I cried because behind that medal had many hours of sacrifice,pain,efforts that i put together with my team. " Today, almost a year later, it remains the prime achievement of my career: "One day at a training session in which i was not training well, Fernando, who always requires me to give my 100 percent( and I thank him for that )asked me what I wanted to achieve in my life, to where I was going. I turned around and began to mourn. Then I closed my eyes, I imagined myself at the top of the podium in a World Championship or the Olympic Games with a gold medal, "when I was in Copenhagen with the medal and the anthem, I remembered the very incident and I was pretty excited. "

I'm not afraid that i reached top so soon "
    The young girl who has reached this high is certainly not daunted. On the contrary,she explains:"I'm not afraid at all.People say that gold at the World championship came to me before the time but it was already my target to get a medal at the Championship. Now that i have won the title, it's complicated, but for that i had to to work really hard. "

"In my country, I can proudly say that i am recognized"
    That triumph Two days after, When I came to Spain, I Realized That the gold was much more than a medal. "I was surprised by the welcome i recieved at the airport in Huelva. I was Recognized worldwide .The next week when i returned to Madrid I stopped down the street, people Told Me, You are the badminton Champion, are not you? Many times at foreign airports, it feels the same., Although I Recognized That I am a little shy and it made me a little embarrassed. I used to say to people That people only knew me in Asia, Especially in Indonesia, but now I can proudly say That in my country, people Also Recognize me.

"I am proud of the rise of badminton "
    Recognition in the street, but also through social networks. My Twitter account,which was followed mainly in Indonesia, was filled with congratulations from some of my idols like Nadal and Paul Gasol. "It was spectacular, crazy. Even after two weeks , I could see the messages. I thanked Rafa, Pau, everybody. I'm proud that since i have become a world champion , it has been acknowledged in my country that children want to practice the sports more and more. Many approach me and tell that they want to play like me. That makes me super proud.

"Being Number 1 is secondary target"
    The world No. 1 is the confirmation of the work and dedication of recent years: "I am very happy to be number 1, but the ranking, today is secondary for me. I have made the goal for this year to be among the top five which I am doing fine. Be 1 or 2 or 3 is not very relevant,And yes it is very difficult to maintain the ranking for which i will continue to work hard .

16. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

17. Saketh

Saketh New Member

Student
  18. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
  19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  20. pcll99