E-Link Sports, Singapore, Chris Aw

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by aramistuscany, Jun 16, 2009.

1. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    really "best" experience.

do not understand why can not compare price. even government has lowest quote practice.

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Feel sorry for your experience mate

3. clochette

clochette Regular Member

actually his price is not that competitive, but he does have a wide range of products

4. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    This boss is extremely "Kiasu", he doesn't display the price tag especially for new products, hence what is he expecting from his customer? Of course, as a consumer we will ask for the pricing and make comparison before we do our purchase and we won't buy blindly for sure.

Recently, I went to his shop with the intention to buy a pair of badminton shoes, but the shoes model that I am looking for is out of stock and according to him, he can help me place the order, thus I asked him for the price and if the price is within my budget, of course I will make my order. Guess what he had responded to me when I asked for the price?

The boss said, "I can't tell you the price, but if you confirm to place your order, then I will reveal the price".

I am amazed and disappointed to hear his answer and in my mind, I am telling myself #%^$@&*!%#@$%#...... what kind of ideology this boss is practicing, “Kiasu”?

5. awchris@singnet

awchris@singnet Regular Member

SPORTS RETAILOR
    Hello,
    Do not talk nonsense.I will never tell my customer to go away.I swear if i said that,i will die with terrible death.So do not put your words in my mouth.You are spoiling my reputation.I say again ,you guys can check price,but i prefer i will be the last shop that you have checked,then you tell me your price and i will sell to you at the same price or cheaper.I am a businessman,my intention now is to sell my products, i want money only,not goods.I can always order again.I do not dare to claim that i sell the cheapest,but the cheaper ones for GENUINE GOODS.To enjoy good price,must be my regular customer.Thank You for your attention.

6. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

I too feel sorry for your bad experience.

Declaimer too: Am not afflicated to any retailer.

If want to compare price, check on the internet and buy from the lowest priced product. Since price takes the precedence over anything else like building a relationship. Alibaba would be a good starting point.

For example: one happens to buy 10 almost every month from a retailer, with no pre-order or post-order or reserve. That retailer would offer to reserve, inform or hide under his table some stocks just for this returning customer when the stocks are low. This retailer would not sell his low-in-stock product to any new walkin, would-be customer if found out that his price is the lowest.

By the way, IMO, it takes 2 hands to clap for good customer service.

Seems to me that you orchestrated for the retailer to "earsdrop" on your conversation so that he would lower his price in order to make the sale. Hope I'm wrong, else you would have seen that coming based on all the previous experience posts above about Chris.

If I were to check price with my friend over the phone in a shop, I would either sms, whatsapps or walk out of the shop like I'm sealing a $1M deal.

I think its fair for one to walk into a shop to ask for price and walk out if its unacceptable. I do that in queensway for shoes.

Just my 2 cts

7. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Government agencies are still having the lowest quote practice? I thought they are going for "the Only quote" practice?

8. dutiehua

dutiehua Regular Member

lecturer
    to avoid corruption, gov still practice lowest quote with minimum 3 quote.

9. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

10. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Actually , to me Chris is still a friendly person , willing to chat and talk to customer, his wife also a nice aunty. Prices is reasonable too.

11. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Hi, can anyone recommend me few good online stores for yonex products based in Singapore or Malaysia that are willing to ship abroad? i'm not talking about sunriseclick.com because i've been purchasing few times with them and their prices are pretty high if compared to other retailer shops. Also, they're charging quite high for shipping cost to Indonesia.

It is almost very impossible to find any online shops in Indonesia that sell original sunrise apparels and mostly are only selling faked made in china.

Thanks

12. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Why don't you approach Chris!

13. ScottLyonWong

ScottLyonWong Regular Member

Self feeding
    no offence to share personal experience also frm Elaine- we dont provide price comparison here hoh. I was just helping friend to check and he is a regular customer of this shop . Frm since i dont patron anymore . My thoughts is the same- tell this to Govt where they promote competiveness . Chris so far is ok to me .

14. KEN_KL MSIA

KEN_KL MSIA Regular Member

Hello, anyone know Chris selling Mizuno Caliber S Tour?

15. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

I never had any problems from buying from Chris. He always replies quickly and once I send my payment he sends out my order asap. The prices are also reasonable and cheaper than places in HK.

16. Heathx

Heathx New Member

I feel there's nothing wrong asking for price. As consumers, we will surely compare price and go for the cheaper one. It's a natural law of commerce.

But also as consumers, we should never go to one shop owner and tell them that they should lower their prices because abc shop is selling at that price.

If Chris is upset about people asking for price but not buying on the spot, then hopefully in the view of better customer service, he will soften his stance on that a bit. Sometimes customer not decided yet, and just asking for price and need some time to review their budget, before reaching a decision to buy or not.

But if the customer ask about the price and say abc shop sells cheaper etc, then Chris has all rights to get upset and refuse service.

In the end, if you don't like or can't take it, then just don't buy from him. I will continue to patronise him, because to me, his prices, his workmanship, and the location of his shop is favourable to me. I don't go around pissing him off either, so he's not rude to me.

17. ftear

ftear Regular Member

I'm a bum!
    I thought of sharing my experience on E-link AMK here as well. I brought my racket along to the shop with the intention to restring. There were no customers at that time, just me alone. So I saw Chris (I think cuz I don't know him) and his wife (I assumed) both busy restringing. So I went up to him and ask how much is it for a nanogy95 string. He replied "23". I wasn't sure if it includes labour so I asked, he said 'yes inclusive'. Then I ask how long roughly for mine to restring, he said 'after I finish the current racket'. Then I asked, roughly (with emphasis) how long, 30 mins? 1 hour? By now, I could sense he's a bit agitated why I ask so many questions. So he replied '1 hour'. I said to him 'ok, I can't wait that long as I need rush back to work as it's lunch time'. He didn't say anything after that. And I left without restringing.

Let me be very clear, I don't have any grouses against him (I barely know him) whatsoever but I think his customer service can be improved. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to be treated like a king or something (I'm a humble and friendly guy really, I'm always polite when talking to any shop owner, with a smile too) but if you ask me about his customer service, below are my observations:

Didn't greet customer, just a simple 'hi', is that too much to ask? but I got nothing, I was the only customer at that time
    I don't feel he's taking the initiative to explain a little more, I have a feeling he's assuming everyone should know the price of restringing includes labour, that's why I kept asking. It would certainly help if he could be more clear/specific about how long my racket would be ready, of course I can see he's working on a racket but roughly how long will it take for mine to be finished.
    Does not smile, ok maybe that's the way he is, but by smiling to your customers would definitely make them feel welcomed.

The overall impression he gave me was he lack good customer service. I think he assumed too much and should try to smile a little bit.

To be really honest, I would have waited for mine to be restring even if it's an hour but considering the level of customer service rendered, I changed my mind.

Chris @ E-Link, if you're reading this, I hope my feedback here sounds constructive enough for you to review and improve on, provided if you choose to do so, or maybe it doesn't really matter to you, that's fine with me too. But one important thing you should be aware of is that when your customer took the effort/time to come here and feedback about your shop, especially constructive feedback, that's because they still care and hope that things will turn out to be even better in the future. You should feel lucky and thankful for that.

That's all I have to say and thanks for reading :)

18. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

@ftear, that is a well written and fair post that you put up. I agree that it is a little daunting at times to shop at E link, i think especially for those who are not regular customers. I find myself a little apprehensive sometimes when asking about more details on pricing since the response isnt very friendly at times . However, based on personal experience, Chris has always given me a fair deal for either racquets or shoes and his prices are very competitive.

I am not a regular customer there but over the past 6 years, I have bought 3 racquets and several shoes from him and the prices are 100% equal or less expensive than any other place in Singapore. For example, I once bought a pair of shoes from him that were on sale and I expressed concern that if the pair of shoes is old stock, the sole could could loose very fast. He promptly offered to add another pair of shoes to my purchase that were on sale for a mere fraction of the cost to me. Another example is when I purchased a racquet from him recently that is quite hard to find here in SG and he priced it $80 dollars cheaper(with string and grip of choice thrown in!) than another popular badminton shop.

So all in all, despite all the comments about the lack of customer service, I think if one shows himself to be a sincere buyer and is willing to be patient, Chris will always offer you a good deal and a very decent price.

19. awchris@singnet

awchris@singnet Regular Member

SPORTS RETAILOR
    Hi,first of all i welcome you to my shop.Before you came, you called me.You wanted to re-string your racket within 30 min.i told you ,it depends on my workload.When you came into my shop this morning,i was busy doing my racket re-string.I asked you ,you wanted to string your racket?You asked for BG95.I told you $23.your expression telling me ,you find my price
    expensive.Next you asked me what price i sell my string.I presume you want to know string price and labour charge separately..I told you i do not sell string alone.My string is for my own shop use.You ask is it include labour ,i said yes.You ask me whether i can do it within 30 min,i said i will start your racket,after i finished my current racket which i just started not long.In 30 min,you requested.I said not possible,because i will take 30 min to finish one.So i said i will give you within 1 hour latest.Actually,at that time i have 4 Badminton rackets and 1 tennis racket to re-string.They came in before you did.But i let you jump queue.which you do not know.After that you just walked away.Maybe you feel disturbed because i did not greet you the moment you step in.I will work on it in future.Thank you

20. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Chris and Elaine has always treated their customers fairly and as the above poster attests, his prices are on par or even cheaper than other local badminton shops. In fact, I know for a fact that some of this YY stuff are even cheaper than Sunrise site (referring to racquets since the string/grip comes complimentary in the shop)... no kidding.

Over the years, as a Victor fan, I've bought MX70, MX60, SW-37, BRS-LYD, MX-JJS, BS12L.. and just 2 months back, a 7000LN for my wife from E-link. Not to mention various bags and shoes. :)

Tbh, I've got a soft spot for family-owned SMEs and they are genuinely nice people.. so do give them a chance and visit them next time you're in the AMK area. Cheers!

Rgds,
    Ang

#660 axl886, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016