Singapore Team - The Worst Ever

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2015' started by chowyunfat, May 14, 2015.

1. chowyunfat

chowyunfat Regular Member

banking
    Ha ha I would apply if there is a vacancy n hope you are the one who interview me:D

2. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional

Money can buy you professionals not patriots, LYB seems the latter kind..... You can't afford LYB even if you offer him a few hundred thousand trillion dollars, because he isn't in the coaching game for money.

You spoke of RM, tell me why did Gerard stay away from RM (or Chelsea or City) for so long???
    In 2012 and 13, LM10 rejected offers from PSG which were paying him substantially more than Barca.
    I know for a fact that even if SGP spends its entire GDP + huge ForEx reserves, PG will still laugh off any approach to coach a foreign team. (until given the get go from BAI/SAI/GOI, who will take the money and put on some ID project)...

Instead of cribbing, you should be happy, that a small city manages to punch substantially above its weight in badminton.....
    Your comparator should be fellow monetarily rich micro-nations like Monaco, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Qatar, UAE, Brunei etc. and not the geographically and demographically rich teams you mentioned.

3. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    If Asia-Pacific's most productive nation chooses a pastime as a career over real jobs, the entire continent will suffer.... SGP is great the way it is.... It has multiple unique strengths,and the fact that it has such a strong badminton team (for a micro-nation) is one of them.

4. chowyunfat

banking
    We are entirely on different wave length. Base on current n historical ranking Spore are stronger badminton nation than Canada, France , Spain n Netherlands n should beat them with ease. If one day India's National hockey team were to lose to Spore, China n USA, are u happy?.
    You could be right about LYB (I still think he or PJB won't mind coming to Spore for 2 years) besides SBA could definitely able to pay more to get much better coaches than the current ones.

#24 chowyunfat, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  5. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Getting your logic now.... But you can't buy LYB with money, I think.

6. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    They need more quality coaching staff and instead of only letting Players from Sports School and players who can win them to join the squad. from my pov. they should allow to trial every player in age groups instead of investing on foreign players when theres no result..take widjaya for example. ya he is strong..when he was in his HEYDAY. now he is old.ya still strong in terms national standard but lacking internationally wise.

7. leejunlong999

student
    instead getting a new coach. SBA got The coach for youth squad to coach main squad...joke

8. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Ranking doesn't mean everything, badminton players in those countries get even less funding to travel around and play in international tournaments. Other than Carolina and maybe some french players, almost all of the rest play exclusively in their regional international challenger events. Their abilities are very under represented by their ranking because they simply cannot afford to attend all the tournaments.

I suppose everyone has a price, but certainly PJB, LYB and Morten Frost all have their sentimental attachments to their respective teams now. To poach them, you'll need beyond reasonable amounts of money.

Perhaps you can suggest what the players are really lacking. You also have to realize the womens singles players were up against a commonwealth game champion and a world champion, that's hardly a disappointment they couldn't score against them.

Technically speaking, singapore also played the Pan American champion team
    Danny Chrisnanta/Chayut Triyachart was quite dissapointing, they lost to a fairly low ranked canadian pair after being a runner up at a super series. So given they can up their game a bit.

I don't really agree with the rest though, Singapore went from virtually unknown team to a sudirman cup level 2 champion contender in less than a decade. Largely due to their import program, and to me that's a success. The tier 1 countries have several decades of excellence in the sport and even close to a century of dominance. Catching up to them is not going to happen over night. If Singapore keeps up with even half their progress, then I can see them in tier 1 competition in another couple of years.

9. leejunlong999

student
    but taking a side note. how long have they been playing for the country? is obviously more than aa decade i perhaps. derek wong had played from secondary school till now.

10. chowyunfat

banking
    "Perhaps you can suggest what the players are really lacking. You also have to realize the womens singles players were up against a commonwealth game champion and a world champion, that's hardly a disappointment they couldn't score against them."

Yes the two players mentioned Michelle Li n Carolina were nobody 2 years ago, they were even ranked below ex Spore player GU Juan (who quit when SBA sacked her coach Luan Jin now doing very well for HK) Liang XioaYu, a top junior player has stagnated and show no progress.
    Chen JiaYuan played as if she got no interest n about to quit too.

11. leejunlong999

student
    thats the main problem
    Looks like SBA do not know how to make decisions.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Maybe we can get some enlightenment on Singapore's badminton history as I don't have a clue and to me Netherlands has historically been the higher ranking country. That aside, based on the current squads Sing would have been the slight favorite in the tie ...
    But there indeed doesn't seem to be any progress anymore as compared to say 4-5 years ago.

And indeed the focus in team Netherlands for 2016/2020 is in WD and XD(?) so the other events don't get equal funding/focus ...

#32 demolidor, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  13. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

What would you suggest Singapore to do?
    Sacking everyone to make way for even lower ranking pairs is silly.
    There hasn't even been enough time to solidify local Singaporean players. Almost all their players are imported from other nations.
    Even money has its limits, until BWF opens up their national body representation system, Singapore has to do what they've been doing, and simply do the best they can with who they have.

14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think their main priority now is preparing the coming SEA Games....not this Sudirman Cup.

15. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Upsets happen, and they're called upsets because they are infrequent.
    Team events follow a logic of their own, lower teams often play above, and stronger teams get caught out.
    Given they were ranked 13th, and only got to 16th. But the ranking and their position isn't too far off.
    Once again, back to my point on underrepresented players from all the other countries.
    It's simply that they don't normally get much exposure on the international circuit, they're simply underestimated, and Singapore is overestimated.

16. chowyunfat

banking

Past 10 years Sudirman Cup results , 2005 Spore 11th, Netherland 12th
    2007, Spore 10th, Netherland 14th 2009 Spore 12th, Netherland 14th
    2011 Spore 13th, Netherland 20th 2013 Spore 11th, Netherland 14th

17. leejunlong999

student
    derek should take in consider in pursuing studies rather than keep getting worse n worse results

18. happywolfie

happywolfie Regular Member

My former coach puts the blame on their narrow focus on training their own selection team without growing a bigger pool of badminton players through established clubs/leagues. I personally see many student players who did relatively well but end up stopping the game when they changed school etc because there's no effort to try foster and retain them.

19. leejunlong999

student
    yes! they should do how japan does it. league matches n taking potential...their current criteria for us to make it to youth team is either win the school games or win ppl from youth team. which is kinda ********

20. leejunlong999

student
    all boils down to management. sg team has no quality....the current ceo dont make good ones.