Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    I think a wild card would befit LCW better and a reciprocation by BWF for his great contributions towards the game just as they did for LD.

2. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Zulfadli has one huge advantage that probably should not be discussed in this forum.

The host Indonesia has no wild card for LCW, unless Indonesia disqualifies all its own MS players.

For a BWF wild card, consider these points:

• LD was the defending World Champion and the reigning Olympic Champion.
    • The right for CBA as the host to use a wild card on LD was just taken away under the new regulation effective starting at that particular World Championships. Previous hosts were free to use up to 5 wildcards. Malaysia was one of those hosts.
    • The BWF wild card for LD effectively disqualified Gao Huan, another Chinese player. The eligibility for players under other BAs was not affected at all. A wildcard to LCW would push out an otherwise eligible player who has no fault of his own and has no patriotic duty towards Malaysia. Although BWF gave a wild card, CBA essentially made a decision to select Lin Dan over Gao Huan by accepting the wild card.
    • LD and LCW were not automatically eligible for fundamentally different reasons.
    A truncated suspension is the best BWF can do for LCW and BAM. It's up to BAM to own up the task and do something for itself.

3. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Personally don't think it would be wise to give a wc to LCW especially if he is coming off mandated suspension, would be seen like bwf slapping itself in the face/being way too overeager to help out LCW.

Also it kinda leaves a bad taste that people are fighting this wild card/who to send battle out in the media.

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
  5. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
  6. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

I recalled that LCW was publicly against LD having the wild card for the WC14 saying that it was not fair to other players who worked tournaments to gain the points.

7. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    My opinion from a competitive perspective. You got to send the one you think with the best chance of winning. No decision is easy, that is the nature of competitive sports. There is only one winner.

We all have gone through this before in our competitive years.

The three way selection process maybe deem fair on paper but is also an enormous emotional blow to others.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree, but I can only see it as the fairest and transparent way when no candidate is separated by a clear margin. Let's say if Chong Wei Feng or ZZ were world ranked twenty or higher, I wouldn't really have an issue of them both going. But they are both ranked in the 40's and up against a guy who has been in numerous semifinals, finals and winner of SuperSeries. Proven pedigree.

ZZ argument that he has used all his own resources doesn't cut much weight - he is still ranked in the 40's. That's pretty far away from top twenty. He should have made the situation much surer by getting a higher world ranking. Of course, he shouldn't be scared and also submit to a three way selection process. The American athletes have trials in exactly the same fashion.

9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

They should let CWF and ZZ slug it out against each other and send the winner together with LCW.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  11. phili

phili Regular Member

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    if I am ZZ or CWF who is asked to give up my rightful spot (more like a sacrificial lamb and first rounder KO to go shopping in INA, LOL) to LCW, I would ask LCW to freebie me a fast car if LCW wins the 1st WC for MAS. After all, should LCW wins, we are talking of mega $$$ pouring into LCW account, Malaysians lining up to kiss his butt, naming their kids CW, politicians have an off day where the Rakyat forgets about the missing billion ringgit, LOL.....so one fast car is chicken feed compensation lah....one word of advice to ZZ or CWF, hire a lawyer to draft a contract that the car is paid for and brand new, not the Proton thingie type....hahaha.

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

To have LCW participate in WC will give him a good amount of ranking points (if he goes far which I suppose he will). LCW and BAM main goal/plan for LCW is for him to try to win the Olympics next year. That means that before May 1 2016 he needs to have a WR as high as possible to help him get a good draw in the Olympics. To not send him to the WC where he can earn plenty of WR points only because ZZ is ranked like 4 places higher than him will be probably the most stupid decision ever by BAM.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's expected, instead of having to sacrifice one of the two MAS qualifiers.

Whilst in principle I'm for all the best players to compete for the world title as befitting its status unless due to injury,sickness or ban, what irks me is the same people who were previously opposed to Lin Dan's wild card are now clamouring for Lee CW to be offered one, unashamedly exhibiting double standard and hypocrisy.

As Lee CW's drug suspension is officially over, he should qualify the normal way. Incidentally I feel BWF may be unwilling or uneasy about issuing him a wild card and risk being seen as going out of their way to do so, preferring BAM to settle it by internal arrangement. IMHO,Lin Dan last year (I'm not talking about 2013) has more merits, relatively speaking, as compared with LCW's case this year to be issued a wild card yet it didn't happen. Let's wait for BWF's decision on Friday 8th May and their justification though they aren't obliged to provide any explanation.

Personally, I'd like to see Lee CW play at this coming world championships whether via BAM internal selection or wild card, more likely to come about by means of the former I think.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The minister putting pressure on BWF? Read here.

This shouldn't be the case. BWF shouldn't entertain the request at all.

For all you know, after some internal negotiations, either one of those two will relent, citing injury as an excuse.

17. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Hahaha , that's quite a news . Are you 100 % sure ? BTW minister would be better putting pressure on the two as surely one will yield ;) . Gosh such kind of dishonest means happen in Malayaisa also ?

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Excerpt from The Star : http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...ong-Wei-has-to-be-at-world-championships-but/

Khairy said the best way out of the predicament “is an exemption for Chong Wei”.

The BAM have sent a letter to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) requesting for a wild card for Chong Wei. The decision is expected to be known by Thursday or Friday.

“I think the BWF will give it (wild card request) a serious thought. They have done it in the past, giving it to Lin Dan (in the 2013 World Championships in Guangzhou),” added Khairy.

“Chong Wei is a player of the highest credential and a former world No.1. I’m sure the BWF want him there. Let’s hope for the best outcome,” added Khairy.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course, no harm for the Sports Minister to give it a try,nothing to lose, whether BWF will give him face or not is another matter. If unsuccessful, then BAM and/or the minister is/are justified to take other measures, such as an internal selection process among the three players concerned.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I agree with everything the minister has said.

Except one thing: LCW is guilty of doping! :eek: