Smash City Badminton, Milpitas, CA

Discussion in 'Smash City Badminton Club - CLOSED' started by Smash City, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    When?

Is Smash City Badminton still have long way to go from Grand Opening? Are we talking about beyond 3 months from now? No clue at all.

2. baopen

baopen Regular Member

Opening in May/June

From my last discussion with the founders, they are opening in May/June 2005 depending on the completion of the constructions.

3. badsmashes

badsmashes New Member

Smash City Location

Han,

The last time I checked, they havent even started the construction yet.
    It is located at Fleming Business Park, a heavy industrial area.

The address is: 1191 Montague Expressway, Milpitas, CA.

Go check it out!

Here's an article about the gym.
    http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/citygov/commissions/planning/agenda020905/2.pdf

You can see the floor plan layouts on the very last few pages.

#23 badsmashes, Mar 16, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

Or make him use his right hand. :rolleyes:

5. Smash City

Smash City Regular Member

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in answering questions -- been a little busy coordinating efforts to open our gym as quickly as possible :)

Smash City's Teraflex sports flooring will be permanently installed on concrete. Our flooring is NOT the thin portable mats that are typically placed on top of wood or concrete for temporary use (tournaments). Our Teraflex flooring is comprised of 4 distinct layers -- each layer performing different functions. The bottom layer is basically glued to the concrete, the middle two layers provide the cushioning and resiliency, while the top layer is more rigid to provide uniform traction and wear resistance. This flooring provides better shock absorption and energy return than sprung wood floors typically used in basketball gyms. Since the Teraflex flooring is permanently adhered to the concrete, we won't get any sagging or slipping that can occur with the use of thin portable mats.

Teraflex flooring has been used in every Olympics since 1976.

We are optimistically hoping for a mid-May grand opening, but as you know, there are many factors that can cause delay. We'll certainly keep you all informed of our progress!!

Many thanks for your continued interest!!

6. Moshi Moshi

Moshi Moshi New Member

question for the Tearaflex Floor?

HI,
    I have very bad knee, I am very concerned about the floor. I tried to find out how the teraflex mat is, I will pay whatever cost to prevent my knee getting worse. From your post it seems Teraflex is an excellent floor, even better than hard wood floor. But I never heard of them and nevert saw them been used in any where locally nor in any big events in (badminton). You said it has been used in Olympic since 1976, but for what event? Becuase I only see Yonex Floor mat, the thin mat that has been used in all major tournaments around the world. So Teraflex is the same company that makes Yonex Mat prehaps:confused: since they are the offical Floor for Badmiotnon in 2004 Olympic. I try to look at the teraflex website. From the website it said the thickness 3.99mm. Isn't it the same as the portable mats? Please let me know as soon as possilble. Since I am in the process in renewing my membership. I don't want to waste my money if your gym is way better than the others. Can you supply more information?

Regards

#26 Moshi Moshi, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  7. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

Wood sub-floor is best

The Meno Park gym claims to have 11mm polymer on robbinsons flooring (that seems like it is wood). I've played on Teraflex on concrete, and it's not that great.

8. Smash City

There are several different models of Teraflex (and other) sports flooring just as there are several different models of Yonex racquets. Smash City's Teraflex flooring will be the new "Teraflex Badminton Plus" not yet listed on their website. In fact, Smash City will be the first installation of Teraflex Badminton Plus in the USA. It has the same playing surface as their "Teraflex Badminton" portable court mats, the same bottom layers as their "Sport 3D", and is approx. 8mm thick.

Many factors, including thickness, contribute to a playing surface’s performance -- and the manufacturers work hard to balance these parameters for shock absorption, resiliency, and durability. Of course as players ourselves, we are confident our floor will be great, but please try them all and see what works best for you!

Thanks again for your continued interest!!

9. Moshi Moshi

Moshi Moshi New Member

Smash City 8mm Tereflex VS Golden Gate Robbison floor

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. So basically it's a moblie floor mat just like others? Or its like Golden Gate Badminton, bound to the floor like carpet? I mean one piece bound to the concrete, then print the lines on the huge piece? I hear Golen Gate Badminton is thicker than 8mm? But still need to comfrim, they are rubber type that I may asume it will be more cusion then Teraflex? Now it will be really interesting. Thickness VS Preformance. I guess Yonex over all may still be the best.....Victor is the second since all those stuff has been used in International 5 or 6 stars tournamnets. Who is going to put those mat in the GYM? Please let me know...I really want to try them all.... Yes, badminton community will benfit from all those new courts since it's all better than traditional GYM Floor.....

10. Smash City

Badminton Alley partners with Smash City!!!

Badminton Alley (www.badmintonalley.com) and Smash City (www.smashcity.net) are pleased to announce that Badminton Alley has partnered with Smash City to provide on-site Pro Shop sales and services. Badminton Alley carries the largest selection and offers the best prices on badminton equipment in the country, and is a proud sponsor of the Bay Area Open series of tournaments. Badminton Alley is an authorized dealer of quality badminton equipment from Alpha, Black Knight, Carlton, Gosen, Pointfore, Yang-Yang, Yonex, and Wilson. Badminton Alley and Smash City look forward to the coming joint Grand Opening in Milpitas!

11. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Since Smash City and Badminton Alley have partnered, will that mean that the Bay Area Open series of tournaments will be held at Smash City from now on?

12. nas88

nas88 Regular Member

I don't know if this is true, but I heard this from a friend. He said Smash City's gym originally was almost leased out to Golden Gate (Mike Yang) but GG pulled out last minute because the warehouse is contaminated with chemicals and adjacent to few chemical companies hence would required extensive detoxification.

Does anyone know how true is this? Is this the same warehouse that GG wanted to lease out originally? I went out to the warehouse to snoop out and its pretty scary to see all the chemical signs along the neighbourhood companies.....I wonder if this would post any problems to the kids and seniors that would want to play there...

May be the owners of Smash City can provide some insights to this matter.. I certainly would not want to see kids get any chemical radiation playing badminton there....

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    before anybody else makes any comment on this matter. i want you to clarify: who (with name) did this rumor come from, and where did he/she get the rumor from.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i was in the Milpitas area today. it turns out to be a business park with some high tech companies as well as a furniture warehouse right opposite. i see no signs of chemical plants closeby. so nas88, if your intention is to give other gyms a bad name, then cut it out, i am quite disappointed as i expect more integrity from badminton players.

if you read the full zoning report, you will find a food processing plant, but that's about it. i trust the city zoning report more than some kids who comes here with a "my friend told me". if anything, gyms should work together to promote the sport.

http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/citygov/commissions/planning/agenda020905/2.pdf

i took some pictures of the SmashCity location.

- first one is the outside of the building
    - second one is a peek of the inside
    - third one is the view from the building with the furniture warehouse right opposite.

Attached Files:

15. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

Unless there is proof for this

I would recommend removing this post and all references to it. We can do without rumor mongering.

16. wira

wira Regular Member

Yup. Checked the place out and there is no sign of any danger due to chemicals.

17. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

i know the owners personally, and they have kids themselves. So i do not think that they would build there gym in an enviroment which is harmful. lol i wonder who makes up these rumors...

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just realized that the back side of the building faces highway 680. put up a big neon sign there and voila, cheap advertising for the gym. every driver and passenger will be wondering what this badminton club is about. :D

19. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    So .... when?

Any idea when is the opening date?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting question, let's do a case study:

Bintang - IIRC, Bintang at Geneva was scheduled for a November opening, and then ended up opening in late January.

UBC - was first talked about there in BC in the beginning of October. it ends up opening in April - don't blame those guys as they really did made the place very nice. it took 6 months with a xmas/new year break.

GGBC - i think they started in Jan/Feb, and i am guessing they will be opening within a couple of months. let's say June, so they are taking 4-5 months.

so depending on how fast the SmashCity folks work, it will be a few months after their April start date. my guess is at least beginning of August.

prove me wrong. ;)