ye zhanying ,camilla martin who is better?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by seawell, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Ye Zhao-Ying @

Resume
    Born on May 7, 1974 in Hangzhou, height: 175 cm, weight: 65 kg
    Ye received professional badminton training at her childhood in Zhejiang Teenagers' Sports School, which laid solid foundation for her further development. In 1990, Ye was selected into the national badminton team. As a player good at attacking, Ye Zhao-Ying's playing style is noted for powerful, ferocious and swift killing smashes, and changeful and masterly skills. As an experienced badminton master player, Ye has the inborn physical qualities: her height, speed and
    flexibility are best fit for playing badminton. Ye has won numerous world championship titles and has been at the top of IBF World Rankings for many times. She also contributed most for China's winning of World Championship Titles, World Cup Championship titles, and Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup.
    Ye currently is one of Chinese top badminton players with best accomplishment records. She has for many years took the post of Chinese first ladies' singles player. At the year of 15, she was selected into the national team. In 1992, at the Uber Cup Competition, Ye, at the age of 18, won a key match for Chinese team with score of 2:1, which ensured China's winning of Uber Cup for five successive times. That year, Ye successively defeated power players from Indonesia and Korea and became a black horse in the world badminton circle. Henceforth, Ye became the first lady player of the Chinese badminton team.
    @@ Ye was champion of ladies' singles at World Badminton Championships in 1995 and 1997, Yonex All England Open in 1997, General Finals of World Badminton Series Contest in 1997, Singapore Open in 1998, Asia Badminton Championship Competition in 1998. She was also major player of Chinese Badminton Team in wining Sudirman Cup in 1995 and 1997 and winning Uber Cup in 1998. At the 27th Olympic Games held in Sydney, Australia, Ye won the bronze medal of ladies' singles badminton competition. After the Olympic Games, Ye left the national team.
    Honors Received
    Honors Received
    In 1992, elected as one of national top ten badminton athletes
    In 1993, elected as one of Zhejiang Province's top ten athletes
    In 1995, elected as one of national top ten athletes and one of Asia's top ten players
    In January 1996, elected as one of national top ten badminton athletes
    In 1998, elected as one of national top ten athletes
    Ye Zhao-Ying in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In 1993, ranked the second in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In 1994, ranked the fourth in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In 1995, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In March 1996, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In April 1996, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In May 1996, ranked the second in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In Sept. 1997, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In Oct. 1997, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In January 1998, ranked the second in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In March 1998, ranked the second in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    On April 1, 1998, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    On May 15, 1998, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    On July 8, 1998, ranked the third in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    On Oct. 13, 1998, ranked the first in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    On January 28, 1999, ranked the fourth in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In July 1999, ranked the fifth in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    In Nov. 1999, ranked the second in the IBF World Rankings (Ladies' Singles)
    Achievements
    Champion of national youth badminton competition
    In 1990, champion of the ladies' singles at World Youth Badminton Competition
    In 1992, champion of the ladies' singles at Asia Badminton Championship Competition
    In 1992, champion of the ladies' singles at Yonex All England Open
    In 1992, champion of the ladies' singles at Indonesia Open
    In Jan. 1993, champion of the ladies' singles at the 12th Yonex Japan Open
    In March 1993, runner-up of the ladies' singles at the 7th France Open
    In June 1993, took the third place of the ladies' singles at the 8th World Badminton Championship Competition
    In July 1993, champion of the ladies' singles at Indonesia Open
    In Oct. 1993, runner-up of the ladies' singles at Germany Open
    In Oct. 1993, runner-up of the ladies' singles at Denmark Open
    In Nov. 1993, runner-up of the ladies' singles at China Open
    In Nov. 1993, champion of the ladies' singles at Hong Kong Open
    In Dec. 1993, runner-up of the ladies' singles at the general finals of World Badminton Series Contest
    In January 1994, runner-up of the ladies' singles at Yonex Japan Open
    In March 1994, runner-up of the ladies' singles at Yonex All England Open
    In April 1994, champion of the ladies' singles at Asia Badminton Championship Competition
    In June 1994, champion of the ladies' singles at Asia Cup Competition
    In July 1994, runner-up of the ladies' singles at Malaysia Open
    In Oct. 1994, took the third place of the ladies' singles at the 12th Asian Games Badminton Competitions
    In Nov. 1994, runner-up of the ladies singles at China Open
    In Dec. 1994, runner-up of the ladies' singles at the general finals of World Badminton Series Contest
    In March 1995, champion of the ladies' singles and runner-up of the ladies' doubles at Sweden Open
    In April 1995, champion of the ladies' singles at Asia Badminton Championship Competition
    In May 1995, defeated then word top players from Indonesia and Korea at the 4th Sudirman Cup
    Team Championship Competition in Switzerland, which ensured China's winning of Sudirman Cup for the first time
    In May 1995, champion of the ladies' singles at the 9th World Badminton Championship Competition
    In August 1995, champion of the ladies' singles at America Open
    In Nov. 1995, champion of the ladies' singles at China Open
    In Dec. 1995, champion of the ladies' singles at national badminton championship competition
    In Dec. 1995, champion of the ladies' singles at World Cup Badminton Series Contest
    In January 1996, runner-up of the ladies' singles at China Taipei Open
    In January 1996, champion of the ladies' singles at Yonex Japan Open
    In March 1996, runner-up of the ladies singles at Yonex All England Open
    In May 1997, won Surdiman Cup with her fellow players at the 5th Surdiman Cup Competition held in England.
    In June 1997, champion of the ladies' singles at World Badminton Championship Competition held in England
    In Oct. 1997, champion of the ladies' singles at the badminton competition of the 8th National Games held in Shanghai
    In March 1998, champion of the ladies' singles at the 88th Yonex All England Open
    In March 1998, runner-up of the ladies' singles at the Swiss Open
    In May 1998, attended the Uber Cup Competition as a major player of Chinese team and China won Uber Cup at the competition
    In Aug. 1998, champion of the ladies' singles at Singapore Open
    In Sept. 1998, champion of the ladies' singles at Asia Badminton Championship Competition held in Thailand
    In Oct. 1998, runner-up of the ladies' singles at Denmark Open
    In Dec. 1998, attended the badminton competitions of the 13th Asian Games and won championship of ladies' teams for China
    In Feb. 1999, took the third place of the ladies' singles at the general finals of the World Badminton Series Contest
    In March 1999, champion of the ladies' singles at Yonex All England Open
    In April 1999, champion of the ladies' singles at Yonex Japan Open
    In May 1999, won Surdiman Cup with her fellow players at the 6th Surdiman Cup Competition held in Denmark
    In Sept. 1999, champion of the ladies' singles at Asia Badminton Championship Competitions held in Malaysia
    In Dec. 1999, champion of the ladies' singles at the general finals of World
    Badminton Championship Competition
    In April 2000, champion of the ladies' singles at Yonex Japan Open
    In May 2000, won Uber Cup with her fellow players held in Malaysia
    In September 2000, won bronze medal of the ladies' singles at the 27th Olympic Games held in Sydney, Australia

[​IMG]
    Martin is a very very good player.
    But yezhaoying won 2 time in world badminton championships,camilla just i times.
    yezhaoying won 3 times all england badminton championships's title,camilla just i times.
    yezhaoying had won world cup,world grand prix finals,camilla hadn't won it.ye beat martin more than 10 times,camilla just 3 times.
    so i think ye is better than martin!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder how Ye will fare against the current set of Chinese players.

Ye if i remember correct was bugged by a string of inconsistent performance near the end of her career.

unfortunately, i don't have the priviledge to watch Ye play when she was at her best.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think Ye benefitted from chinese team orders, she was the best of the chinese for a period, but Gong Zhicao eclipsed her at the end of her career. Camilla has proved the only challenge to almost three generations of chinese womens singles and has improved throughout her career, keeping pace with the top level over 13 years. Within this context I believe Camilla 's achievements are greater.

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I saw Ye play in the 1995 WC in Lausanne, and she was really very good!

Her career was somehow much shorter than Camilla's though.

Camilla also has the particularity of being the only european WS player to have reached the world's top level.
    No other European can contest asian (and mainly chinese) hegemony in WS...

5. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Ye zhaoying is my idol.
    But i also like camilla martin.
    Camilla martin and Ye zhaoying couldn't win olympic champion.
    I think the europian love camilla more than zhaoying.In china ,we love zhaoying much more better than camilla.
    :)

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    There is no comparision at all. Ye have won numerous major championships while Camilla won World Champion and All England only once, and she did it without many big name players around. Chinese women's team was at a slump when Ye started playing for China. Susi Susanti was still at her peak. And there were other good players like Mia Audina and Bang Soo Hyun. Ye was the only world class player in the Chinese team battling Susi, Mia and Bang days in and days out, and still managed to win so many major tournments. Her records against Susi and Bang are quite even. But look at Camilla, she never beated Susi, and very poor one-to-one records against Ye, Bang, and Gong.

I would rank Susi, Ye, Bang, Gong as great players, but Camilla, Mia, Dai Yun very good player but not able to reach the "great" level.

#6 Qidong, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Camilla is a good player. the quality that is outstanding for her is not her head-to-head records, but instead is the length of her career, and how consistent she has played throughout her career. she may not be a the very top all the time, but she remains at 90% and continues to be a part of and a great threat to the top group players.

the top players comes and goes, susi, bang, ye, gong, but camilla is always there.

her longevity is one quality i think none of the WS player in recent can beat. not even the great Han Aiping and Li Lingwei managed to last that long.

she has mainly been injury free also, anybody remember when she had an injury?

8. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think another reason Chinese players retired early was that they got burned out more easily because of the miltary style of training in China. I remembered watching on a TV show about how Gao/Zhang were trained. There were 2 coaches standing in front of the net smashing the birdies and Gao and Zhang were diving to the floor trying to save every birdie. That made me think of the Japanese Volleyball players in the 70's.

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe...my defense might benefit from that kind of coaching:) burn out? too much training, body and mind can't take it anymore?

10. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Not only the training but china seems to have more talents then many other countires. Camilla has a long career but who would have kicked her off the team if she went through a little slump?. In China the players might not get a chance to continue on the team if they have too many bad results.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are you saying when Camilla won the 1999 World Championships, Gong ZC and Ye ZY were not playing, and that is why Camilla won?:confused:

12. yclin

yclin Regular Member

I have read that Camilla has back problems, and the wrist injury also forced her to withdraw from the Danish national championships this January.

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Agree that Camilla is a very good player. But in China you know, competition for a place in the national team is just too tough. Not sure if Camilla would last that long if she was competed for a place in the Chinese team.

Longevity, few notice about lady players like Lin Ying - she was 15 years old when she was selected into the national team. Han Ai Ping won tournaments at 17 - this was around 1978 and she played until later 80's.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Did Yeh benefit from team orders or not I am not sure. Though Yeh and Gong are both excellent players, but technically speaking Yeh is more complete player. Compare the variety and quality of both players technique. Consistency wise I agree Gong is better.

Camilla is without doubt an excellent player. Her achievements are great as a badminton player and also the one to provide some excitement in the ladies singles scene which is almost monopolized by the Chinese. Too bad Europe has not produced another lady player of her standard.

15. seawell

seawell Regular Member

now camilla retired.she is old!

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

From some of the expert commentary from tournamants

seems YE is the protege of Li Ling Wei and style very similar,

great deceptive strokes and pinpont accuracy but on bad days, just like

Li, or Zhao Jian Hua, can be disastrous and error prone.

Ye' s style always gets into trouble with Camilla or Susi, just like

LI always had problems against the persistent play of Han Ai Ping.

I think Zhang Ning is in a class of her own and was very much overlooked in 2003

for her achievements, her 3 matches in the 2003 World Champs were sheer magic.

17. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    I think the Chinese national team, more than any other country, can afford to employ the military training tactics. What with the 1.3 billion people the coaches have at their disposal, they will never run out of talent, even if because of the tough training regime each player only peaks for a short period of time. Much smaller countries like Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia and Denmark do not have the resources to do this, and i think the fact that so many players from these smaller countries can consistently challenge Chinese domination in this sport is an impressive achievemnet in itself.

In this respect, I appreciate the ruling for olympic qualification that a maximum of three players/pairs from each country are allowed in each discipline. This ruling gives players from less dominant countries more of a chance to compete, and hopefully there will be more players in the future not from the traditional asian giants together with denmark that are able to make an impression of the badminton world scene.

...even though i'm chinese...:p

18. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Regular Member

ye zhao ying is best

Attached Files:

19. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

I guess before we discuss a is better than b, we need to define it.
    In general, one might consider:
    1. winning more open tournaments;
    2. have a better head to head records;
    3. the best level one reached.( for example, Zhao
    Jianhua did not win a lot of tournament, but when he is on fire, no body can stop him, not even Yang Yang, I just watched 1990 All-England MS final, Poor Joko Suprianto was 'tortured' in the final, though only less than 25 minutes.
    So far, a lot of fans still consider Zhao is THE all time best badminton single player. )
    4. Who is playing longer, that may have influent more people, or interaqct with more people, have more chances to win tournaments, but I really disagree use this to judge how good a player is.
    5. has less nemesis.

By most criteria, I guess Ye is better than CM.

:)

20. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    susy susanti is better than ye

susy often beated ye...

she
    won 4 all england titles, 3 in a row,
    won gold medal olympic 1992,
    won many tournaments 1990 - 1998.

she was the queen of badminton 1990 - 1998.

she was ritired in 1998, after ubercup, beaten by china team 5-1.

no doubt, she was the greatest.

camela was not her competitor :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.