The top 50 players of all time - by Badzine.de

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by AlanY, Feb 5, 2015.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry I was talking about Michelle li.

I am not saying much really just putting forward logic that can be used and that these top players lists are just a bit of fun and not always just down to who is better than who. Regarding your other point, a metric that can be used is Li xuerui has just done what any other top WS china player of the past has done nothing special there, Saina is a trailblazer. I think a case can be made that Saina's achievements are greater than li xuerui if you go a bit further than skin deep.
    I am not in any way saying you are wrong here, it is totally subjective, just raised it because some were struggling to comprehend any reason.

2. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

Like i said before, if parameters Badzine used are like those mentioned by Shaina hardliner, then the title "The top 50 players of all time" is misleading.
    Should be "The top 50 most popular players of all time"
    And Badzine should be more wise if its mention parameters its used...

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Nah, Top players are just people who have contributed to the game in a special way over the years, there is nothing misleading happening, every one on that list has done this in some way. In fact most of the time if they do not have a woman/man from a certain country or discipline they will just put them in so there is a bigger variety. It's usually interesting to read the articles to these things because some learn interesting history about past players and read enjoyable content that is the aim of these things.

Nobody takes these lists seriously like you are, because it is not possible to create a list that is actually "correct". Badzine should list their parameters:D:D

4. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Devendra, comparing Saina with Carolina Marine or Ratchanok Intanon at least makes sense, but Michelle Li and Kirsty Gilmour?? With due respect to them, their achievements so far have been nowhere near that of Saina's. I am a little surprised by your anti-Saina reactions. She may or may not be good enough to be in top 50, and may be some other players should be ahead, but she is an important player in the badminton world.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Precisely, Badzine.de's 'Top 50 Players of All Time' based on what ? Popularity does not equal greatness, even greatness itself has to be defined but at least the criteria used are more objective than the case of popularity, eg titles won, world ranking, H2H are specific and measurable though we may still argue the relative worth of the titles, the relevancy of the H2H with respect to the various career stages and ages of the players concerned and the circumstances under which the matches were played, such as a particular player sustaining or recovering from injury, illness, coming back from a long hiatus/layoff,competing in (several) back-to-back or consecutive tournaments with breaks in-between,the luck of the draw,etc.

However, I'd argue it's not necessary to split hairs, just a general but balanced consideration of the relevant factors likely to affect the players' performance will do to give us a reasonably good assessment of each player's overall achievement. For me, I'm very much inclined to take more seriously the views and opinions of full-fledged professional players, coaches, trainers and even experienced amateurs. No matter what, by no stretch of the imagination can we really be scientific about it as inevitably some degree of subjectivity will creep in somehow, being human as we all are. Especially so when we try to compare players of different generations and eras, compounded by the problem of evolving technology and training methodology over time.

Indeed, Badzine.de by not stating their parameters clearly at the outset has divested their list of any claims to authority and opened themselves to criticisms.

6. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I don't think there has ever been a "precise" measurement of greatness. And one can always argue if one wants to.

Personally I care very little about how some magazine rates player. Sure, India's achievements in badminton is very little but that isn't going to change the fact that I am always going to cheer for an Indian player.

p.s:I think Susi Susanti at #2 makes sense considering the impact she had on masses. But where is Lee Chong Wei? Come on! Failing a single drug test can't take away all those achievements!

#46 Airos, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think Inthanon, though still very young and having probably much more before then behind her, ought to be considered bcause she won three times the Junior WC and one time the senior WC, at such a tender age.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Indeed... Badminton needs Saina.. In this badminton world, her presence gives a huge impact...

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Indeed... Absolutely 100% correct... Who is Li Michelle?... Atleast, some of them might have refreshed their memory after hearing her name once again here... With due respect to her, she need to work really really hard to attain atleast 40% of what saina had attained..

First of all, why her name is here .... lol..

10. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

Oh, I already know about history past players, but this list not intersting and enjoyable, maybe only for you and some...

Are you joking :D

For this i agree...

Indeed, LCW not here 'coz positive drug test, so why Sigit is here then???
    This list more and more silly if you have time to dig more.

#50 Zhierl, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Where is Tang XH? Isn't he the true legend?

12. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    And where is Wang Shixian? her beauty alone is enough to be included in the list of top players of all time.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  14. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Personally I thought LYD/JJS was one of the top pairs in the world pre OG 2012. Although they did not win the big tourney like WCs, OG, AG but their performance, IMO, was rather consistent and won numerous SS/SSPs. In addition they were strong rivals of CY/FHF, it is definitely not easy to beat CY/FHF when they were at their peak.

Not sure why they were not in the list as a pair though.

15. hezudao

hezudao Regular Member

Agree. Silly list. They must weird criteria to rank those players. Maybe they put more weight to the intangibles like popularity in her home country compared to actuall on court achievements and trophies. Either way any real badminton fan would not take too much consideration on this arbitrary ranking. No logical way SN can be included and LXR and WYH are excluded.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    We should compile our own Top 50 list!!!

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Now that LCW has returned..........Badzine should put him somewhere in between 5-10 and release a new list.............

Edit:Revise this list and put Zhao YL in top 5.....Also Zhang Nan should be here...

#57 Nine Tailed Fox, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015